The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

See that I did not know...

@JYC think I'm feeling the same.

Thats why I asked the questions I did, you need to look at everything carefully before switching, especially when you have a really nice setup like you already have.

a7RIIs arriving at key retailers tomorrow apparently, WEX have apparently been informing 'pre-orderers' that they will receive it on Thursday.

Makes the review situation all the more odd, unless the embargo lifts in the next 24 hours or so we will no doubt get some iffy samples from some guy with more money than talent who happens to get his first and knocks out some RAWS of his moving cat taken at 1/30 ;)

28mm f2 (or 28-70) and 55mm 1.8, all day long. Can easily cover that with £800 if you shop around (I bought the 28-70 and 55 for less than £700). There is no way you are practically covering the same range with primes (unless you go manual with Samyang).
Well you won't get any samples from me anytime soon then Chris... I haven't got a cat!

The GAS is building....

pDGC1-12183199v380.jpg

Had a 15 min play with an A7ii and 55mm Zeiss lens in Jessops recently.

I really liked it, even under the terrible lighting it performed better than I expected.

The best price I've seen is £1,244 (then £100 cash back) for the body, and £699 for the lens from Currys/Jessops/Wex. Anywhere else I should check?

Had a 15 min play with an A7ii and 55mm Zeiss lens in Jessops recently.

I really liked it, even under the terrible lighting it performed better than I expected.

The best price I've seen is £1,244 (then £100 cash back) for the body, and £699 for the lens from Currys/Jessops/Wex. Anywhere else I should check?

Digitalrev, Panamoz.

Reactions: C.J
Panamoz.

A7m2 £987.46
55mm £527.25

Nope, i got my A7r and 24-70 from them. Warranty is UK based, you send to a UK address and get a new camera within a day or two.

Are there any disadvantages to using them/an import A7ii in general, that you know of?

Some may say there are moral issues involved, Ill leave it to them. Its your money buy from who you want to.

Thats why I asked the questions I did, you need to look at everything carefully before switching, especially when you have a really nice setup like you already have.

Don't worry, I never make these kind of decisions lightly. :) I do love the Fuji and need to realise the grass isn't always greener...

Cant believe theres no decent reviews for the 7rii yet. 2 days till retail units ship and not a word! Wonder if it was over fear that if certain points were raised against it people would cancel existing preorders.

Don't worry, I never make these kind of decisions lightly. :) I do love the Fuji and need to realise the grass isn't always greener...

Its the Fuji glass that keeps me looking at the system, on paper the bodies are lagging behind now particularly in terms of resolution v the competition (Sony A7x, Samsung CSC) but there is something "sexy" about Fuji that I don't think anyone but maybe Leica can match...

Cant believe theres no decent reviews for the 7rii yet. 2 days till retail units ship and not a word! Wonder if it was over fear that if certain points were raised against it people would cancel existing preorders.

You do wonder don't you? Beside reviews there has been very little seen of it at all in the press, normally by now we would be drowning in "hand on" previews!

You do wonder don't you? Beside reviews there has been very little seen of it at all in the press, normally by now we would be drowning in "hand on" previews!

Exactly, think Ill wait this one out. Not really a big fan of companies that do this, almost as if theres something to hide.

Exactly, think Ill wait this one out. Not really a big fan of companies that do this, almost as if theres something to hide.

I've decided to wait and see what happens with it, obviously I'm struggling with finding myself in agreement with you, but you were right when you were saying that a D750 with primes isn't exactly going to be much bigger than an A7 with the similar primes (f1.4 / f1.8) and as much as I think about it it just seems stupid to replace what is probably the best all around DSLR just now (D750) with something that isn't there yet in terms of a system.

Always worth waiting a while anyway.

I've decided to wait and see what happens with it, obviously I'm struggling with finding myself in agreement with you, but you were right when you were saying that a D750 with primes isn't exactly going to be much bigger than an A7 with the similar primes (f1.4 / f1.8) and as much as I think about it it just seems stupid to replace what is probably the best all around DSLR just now (D750) with something that isn't there yet in terms of a system.

They all agree.... eventually :eek: :D

Not really a big fan of companies that do this, almost as if theres something to hide.

As I understand it there is nothing particularly exciting or controversial about this, they just prefer to have cameras reviewed properly and an embargo allows this. I understand where they are coming from if that is the case, it stops the race to get stuff out there as soon as it arrives on a reviewers doorstep (particularly as some of the more popular reviewers are one-man blog efforts) and allows time for a proper review. I'm guessing as soon as the embargo lifts the likes of DPReview will have full reviews online, having had the camera for a while now. I prefer that personally, rather than a drip feed of hastily produced content that will have everyone in a frenzy.

It shouldn't really have an impact on anyone, nobody is forced to pre-order.

It stops people rushing out reviews to just get hits.

My α7rII is due for delivery tomorrow hopefully (WEX are expecting their delivery today so they should ship out today for delivery tomorrow) . Once I get it I'll try do an unboxing and a review, but I'm not really very good at doing technical reviews. I'll try to answer the questions on the big selling points such as third party autofocus performance.

Are you upgrading from an A7R be interested to hear the pros and cons if so.

As I understand it there is nothing particularly exciting or controversial about this, they just prefer to have cameras reviewed properly and an embargo allows this. I understand where they are coming from if that is the case, it stops the race to get stuff out there as soon as it arrives on a reviewers doorstep (particularly as some of the more popular reviewers are one-man blog efforts) and allows time for a proper review. I'm guessing as soon as the embargo lifts the likes of DPReview will have full reviews online, having had the camera for a while now. I prefer that personally, rather than a drip feed of hastily produced content that will have everyone in a frenzy.

It shouldn't really have an impact on anyone, nobody is forced to pre-order.

One problem with that theory, they are shipping today to end users, its not as if we are months away from launch. Good reviews sell cameras.

Are you upgrading from an A7R be interested to hear the pros and cons if so.

No - I'm moving to the system from Canon. Previously I've shot a Canon 1D Mark IV. Sold everything last month to preorder the α7rII.

Third party lens wise, I'll be testing with my two remaining Canon lenses:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (never seen any Sony tests with this lens so it should be interesting)

Not that i would upgrade anyway. You will love it came from Canon myself albeit a 40D DR is the main thing you will notice I would say its massively better.

Not that i would upgrade anyway. You will love it came from Canon myself albeit a 40D DR is the main thing you will notice I would say its massively better.

I'm certainly looking forward to it. I think I'll notice the difference in IQ the most as the 1D Mark IV was 5 years old. I've had a fair bit of mirrorless experience prior to this with the Panasonic Lumix range and Olympus OM-D range, so I know what I'm in for with regard to the EVF.

I think one of my biggest reasons behind me upgrading was the size and Weight of the 1D Mark IV was actually prohibiting me from taking the camera places that I'd like to...

What third party adapter u going to use?

Ended up going for a Fotodiox Pro as the early reports said it was faster than the Metabones IV on the α7rII- I can believe that as the IV has a microprocessor in-body which (going from early indications) appears to get in the way and actually slow down the new AF system.

Back