The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For more range then go with Canon 100-400 mkii, or Tamron/Sigma 150-600, if can't afford something expensive then how cheap is that 70-200 anyway? f4 cheaper one then add TC [1.4x or 2x] and you have a range regardless how much of focus and quality you will lose.

Yes many said the mk2 was better though it came out near the end of my Canon days so never really considered buying one

Had the Canon 70-200 f4 L non-IS very light and a proper little gem and worth lookin' out for given IBIS on A7R2 -
Then on to the 70-200 f2.8 L IS Mk II a stunning lens but heavy which took TC's very well - Even with 2x TC but this was still a lot lighter than
my Canon 300 f2.8 L Mk1 without a TC which actually made me almost roll over a cliff trying stop it getting bashed - Stupid! Stupid! me!

Had the Canon 70-200 f4 L non-IS very light and a proper little gem and worth lookin' out for given IBIS on A7R2 -
Then on to the 70-200 f2.8 L IS Mk II a stunning lens but heavy which took TC's very well - Even with 2x TC but this was still a lot lighter than
my Canon 300 f2.8 L Mk1 without a TC which actually made me almost roll over a cliff trying stop it getting bashed - Stupid! Stupid! me!
I looked into the Canon f4 non IS problem was AF and price of lens and adapter almost same as Sony model

Sneaky feeling I may be stupid as well if my lens started to roll on a slope still you are still here

I looked into the Canon f4 non IS problem and price of lens and adapter almost same as Sony model

Sneaky feeling I may be stupid as well if my lens started to roll on a slope still you are still here

Auto Pilot I think. Was holding 1D3 with 300 across my forearms (quite a heavy setup for me) didn't see the trip coming fell and saving 'my precious' 4.5+ K of kit nearly rolled over 150 foot cliff :-(

For more range then go with Canon 100-400 mkii, or Tamron/Sigma 150-600, if can't afford something expensive then how cheap is that 70-200 anyway? f4 cheaper one then add TC [1.4x or 2x] and you have a range regardless how much of focus and quality you will lose.

don't think there is a TC for the sony FE fit yet?? ...with further reading it looks like the only thing that will do AF over 300mm is the A-mount Tamron??

don't think there is a TC for the sony FE fit yet?? ...with further reading it looks like the only thing that will do AF over 300mm is the A-mount Tamron??

Oh i see, you want range with AF, so manual isn't good, because i think if you can mount EF lenses on Sony then you can just add TC before Canon lens as long that TC is Canon mount, but i wasn't thinking about AF.

Well, you have to wait a bit until someone can produce a good longer lens that can fit on Sony E-mount, i don't trust adapters for fast AF or if there will be any AF.

They're exceptions to the rule, most would not pick a zoom over a prime when looking for ultimate IQ. You can't beat physics, unfortunately. If you're gonna deny that, you truly are a troll.
My point is that the Sony zooms are average for the price and performance compared to a Canon equivalent. The 24 70 from Canon destroys the Sony equivalent

My point is that the Sony zooms are average for the price and performance compared to a Canon equivalent. The 24 70 from Canon destroys the Sony equivalent

I'll agree with you there, the Sony zooms are well overpriced. As for performance, yeah the 16-35 and the 70-200 are the only good two. But again, priced a bit high. Guess we need more people to buy Sonys!

I'll agree with you there, the Sony zooms are well overpriced. As for performance, yeah the 16-35 and the 70-200 are the only good two. But again, priced a bit high. Guess we need more people to buy Sonys!
We need Sony to reduce the cost and release more lens

if you need cost effective options and long lenses then dslrs are better bet right now
theres the sigma 150-500, 50-500, and sony 70-400 too

if you need cost effective options and long lenses then dslrs are better bet right now
theres the sigma 150-500, 50-500, and sony 70-400 too
No excuse for Sony not to do the same. We basically need more third party manufacturer onbaord like sigma and tamron

Reportedly Sigma are investigating FE mount so maybe soon

really?...would be interesting....think the "A mount" system is pretty much over? ...on alpha rumors there's an article saying that there is no plan for anymore A mount cameras???? .

really?...would be interesting....think the "A mount" system is pretty much over? ...on alpha rumors there's an article saying that there is no plan for anymore A mount cameras???? .

they keep not saying anything :\. maybe some sony execs will get blunged by adapters by some angry a mount users and they will say something.

Anyone else read that chatter about Canon trying to buy Sigma? If they do I wonder if that'd be the end of any fe dreams?
No not heard that yet I guess Nikon and other brands including the alpha spec lens might be at risk I can't see what Canon would gain unless they are worried about their own ability for making glass for Canon.

If I was a Canon owner and they did buy Sigma I would be concerned about who and where my L glass was coming from and assuming Sigma still make DSLR bodies owners of those would be concerned.

Will keep eyes open

Last edited:
No not heard that yet I guess Nikon and other brands including the alpha spec lens might be at risk I can't see what Canon would gain unless they are worried about their own ability for making glass for Canon.

If I was a Canon owner and they did buy Sigma I would be concerned about who and where my L glass was coming from and assuming Sigma still make DSLR bodies owners of those would be concerned.

Will keep eyes open
I don't think Sigma with access to Canon focus tec would be a worry, more like a dream scenario. Believe it when I see it.

If Canon genuinely want to buy Sigma it would probably be for patents. Sigma certainly have some tasty sensor patents that are being seriously under-utilised at the moment.

Otherwise it'll be a case of not wanting to lose as many lens sales to Sigma as they currently do, or not wanting competing platforms to have access to sigma lenses, or a bit of both. I still say it's mainly patents, though.

We live in interesting times. For the first time I can remember if you want the (arguably) best AF lens for your Canon it'll often be a third party lens.

But, I'll believe it when I see it :D

Question for you Alan...
How does the Auto-ISO behave on your A7 with adapted lens in low-light?
Is it happy to go up to the specified ISO limit? What are the choices?
The price of used bodies is descending into my realm ...

Auto ISO is OK in manual mode, but will drop the shutter speed to 1/60th second before upping the ISO, regardless of lens used in aperture priority mode. Quite frustrating if you forget. Not sure if Sony has improved this with later models, the rest of the world allows you to set a minimum shutter speed now.

I leave ISO on auto and let it go up to the max of 25,600. The low shutter speed annoyance is cured by switching to manual mode and dialling in something more sensible. This may not be ideal and there may be better solutions but shooting in aperture priority until the light and the shutter speed drop and then switching to manual takes what? 1 second? Switching back if the light suddenly improves will take another second. It works for me and of course there's the ability to use exposure compensation with auto ISO.

Personally I'm very happy with my A7. Manual dials for aperture and shutter like on the Fuji would be nice but you can't have everything.

Last edited:
Why can't you have everything? Because Sony can't be bothered when everyone else can?
Can you name a camera that gives you everything? I can't.

I can't see everyone else getting "it" right and Sony getting "it" wrong. On balance the A7 is right for me. There are things I'd change just as there are things I'd change for MFT but for me these two get it more right than everyone else and there are more things wrong with the Sony A6xxx and Fuji systems and even more things wrong with DSLR's.

I don't want to choose my shutterspeed, I want the ISO and shutterspeed to work together to give me something useable in low-light for an f/2 lens with no stabilisation.
If the default low-light shutterspeed in "A" is 1/60, and I switch to "M" and bump the shutterspeed, how does that work in real use?
(How does that work = what buttons and wheels are adjusted specifically?)

I think I read somewhere that the a7r 2 has indeed improved things a bit with a slow, medium and fast auto ISO setting. Still a bit bonkers that they haven't implemented something a little more intuitive though!
Yes, there's 5 auto shutter speed settings from slowest to fastest that take focal length into account, or you can set a minimum absolute shutter speed (e.g. 1/250). It's pretty complete.

I don't want to choose my shutterspeed, I want the ISO and shutterspeed to work together to give me something useable in low-light for an f/2 lens with no stabilisation.
Well, "usable" is going to vary enormously depending on what you're shooting, in what conditions, and what your preferences are, but there's enough options that you should be able to find one that suits you.
If the default low-light shutterspeed in "A" is 1/60, and I switch to "M" and bump the shutterspeed, how does that work in real use?
Just switch back to manual mode and whatever shutter speed you had last set will be active. So if you were in M with the shutter set to 1/500, then switched to A, no matter what the camera is selecting for you, as soon as you switch back to M, the shutter speed would return to 1/500.

I'm happy with how it works now at least, I'll probably convert back from shooting mostly in M with auto ISO

You can set which dial, front or back, does what and once you've set your aperture and shutter speed the ISO will then float up and down. I have mine set for front dial aperture, real dial shutter and I find it works well. If I'm using a manual lens I'd set the aperture I wanted on the lens and dial in 1/120 or something like that (I like to use a shutter speed of maybe x2 focal length but possibly with a minimum of about 1/100 or so even with a wider than 50mm lens) and let the ISO float up and down and when using an AF lens I'd set the aperture and shutter speed using the dials I'd programed and let the ISO float. And of course you have your dedicated compo dial and in aperture mode the back dial acts as compo and that's what I use rather than the dedicated dial.

I only use aperture and manual modes as I don't know how the others work :D I use aperture most of the time as I seem to think about and visualise DoF but if the shutter speed drops I switch to manual so that I can select a reasonable shutter speed whilst still selecting a reasonable aperture, I may not want to shoot wide open. It's good enough for me.

Looks like there is a 21mm f2.8 Loxia coming soon. Please be a 16mm or wider next.

Back