The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

When the A7rii is around the 1.5k mark I might bite, gives them some time to introduce those new lenses.

Might take a while to drop that much. I think I read on the rumour site that there'll be news on lenses and a new road map in a couple of weeks?

I keep saying that I've finished buying gear, but you never know...

for what its worth sar used to be more friendly in the comments before fe mount stuff became really popular, so i guess some people are just dicks about camera systems and things, or i bought this so it must be best syndrom :)

You even see negativity on the better forums, for eg I've seen derogatory comments about Sony being a mobile phone/games console manufacturer on Luminous Landscape. As if it matters... Canon make photocopiers, so what? Just feel like type "Grow up people" :D

Might take a while to drop that much. I think I read on the rumour site that there'll be news on lenses and a new road map in a couple of weeks?

I keep saying that I've finished buying gear, but you never know...

Probably 6 months, grey is at 2150 and uk promo at 2099 already.

Probably 6 months, grey is at 2150 and uk promo at 2099 already.

May even be sooner?

I was looking the other day at used prices for some of the mirrorless cameras, as I may need to switch due to health reasons (which your aware of). The Sony A7 was launched around Oct 2013 @ £1300.00 or so and the Fuji XT1 was launched in February 2014 @ £1000.00 or so. The last A7 which you bought went for £399 and the Fuji's are still selling for around the £550.00 mark on here. It seems as if the Sony's loose a lot of money over a shortish period of time. Is this probably due to the A72 coming out, it's a little concern for me if I did go back to mirrorless. The A7 appeals over the XT1 as I have FF now.

May even be sooner?

I was looking the other day at used prices for some of the mirrorless cameras, as I may need to switch due to health reasons (which your aware of). The Sony A7 was launched around Oct 2013 @ £1300.00 or so and the Fuji XT1 was launched in February 2014 @ £1000.00 or so. The last A7 which you bought went for £399 and the Fuji's are still selling for around the £550.00 mark on here. It seems as if the Sony's loose a lot of money over a shortish period of time. Is this probably due to the A72 coming out, it's a little concern for me if I did go back to mirrorless. The A7 appeals over the XT1 as I have FF now.

If you can live with the ergonomics and relatively primitive but fine with me focusing you could just grab a cheap A7. I have very few complaints :D

Sony critics do seem to be very vocal and I do wonder why. The bitching and sniping seems to be quite common in Sony forums across the net and I do wonder why people devote time to it, if the kit doesn't suit then move on... problem solved, but there do seem to be people who will not move on and would rather spend their time sniping endlessly about the same issues.

As a former Canon DSLR owner I had a 300D and then 20D for over 7 years and then a 5D. I was reasonably happy with these cameras apart from their bulk, weight and obtrusiveness and the A7 has improved on all of those issues whilst offering better image quality. Great stuff... for ME.

I do understand the focus issues which are repeatedly raised but as all I've ever used is single spot any lack in tracking ability doesn't affect ME. I find that my A7+35, 55 or 28-70mm lens focuses at least as fast as the DSLR's and lenses I had but more accurately. I also appreciate the complaints about battery life but it's just never been a real world issue for ME. The whole OVF v EVF debate for ME is now largely over and I now only have slight concerns over eye strain in low light but in every othet way I now see EVF's as clear winners. The availability of lenses is another target but for ME the important focal lengths are covered and then there's the prices... for ME the kit is priced ok and again, if the system doesn't suit why don't people just move on?

I think that the best way forward is to balance the advantages and disadvantages and make a decision for ourselves... but I just don't see the need for the repeated sniping and Sony bashing, it's something that we don't really in the other make theads apart from maybe the Canon 5Dsr or whaterver it is thread. It's just a shame that thread after thread descends into negativity every few pages.
All excellent points you do realise of course everyone will be this that for you its all about ME ME ME :plus1:

May even be sooner?

Yeah, Sonys don't hold value at all but I did also get a very good deal.

Fwiw the negative comments re Sony are like water of a ducks back I bought the A58 then A77m2 and now A7m2 when I bought the A58 I expected a toy I soon found that for things like dogs running and general use it was really rather good. I bought the 77 as I figured crop was ok for what I needed reality it was just really I wanted lusted for full frame again and very content I am with it.

My camera came on a Thursday and on the Saturday one of my 2 border terriers really hurt herself vets talked put her to sleep instead I invested many many hours in her and she is now able to walk maybe 2 miles so I hope I can get out again with my camera.

I might buy the A7rm2 however it's mainly the processing power that worries me, I loved my Canon bodies though it's important that we understand even on those we loose money glass probably the Canon/Nikon lens will retain better value but mainly a bigger market place ensures that

I had many posts in the Canon threads and in truth I found less Nikon users posting with negativity about Canon but in short who cares :thinking:

May even be sooner?

I have been been amazed at how few of the original Sony a7x bodies I have seen on the second hand market.

Last edited:
I have been been amazed at how few of the original Sony a7x bodies I have seen on the sent down hand market.

I think its devalued so much that people just figure for the money and losses they'll just keep it as a backup or whatever.

I think its devalued so much that people just figure for the money and losses they'll just keep it as a backup or whatever.
Or after such a short period they are still happy with it not all canon buyers sold the 5D1 as soon as the 5D2 came out do you not feel in full frame it's features and improved low light that drives sales perhaps even more native lens options

Yea but come on how long has canon and nikon been in the game.?

I'm not sure that's the point tbh. Currently, the established systems are the better choice for certain applications.

Longer term, you'd assume that Sony will challenge on all fronts, although Leica have managed to survive without doing so, so who knows?

Well I had a great evening in London shooting with the a7rii and 16-35 and 55mm. Getting my head around the button layout and customising the c1 and c2 buttons. Now my heavy duty tripod felt seriously overkill and I was envious of my mates £20 cheap plastic jobby.

Again out today with friends with the a7ii and 35 2.8. What a lovely super lightweight combo that is. Really impressed with it all.

Well I had a great evening in London shooting with the a7rii and 16-35 and 55mm. Getting my head around the button layout and customising the c1 and c2 buttons. Now my heavy duty tripod felt seriously overkill and I was envious of my mates £20 cheap plastic jobby.

Again out today with friends with the a7ii and 35 2.8. What a lovely super lightweight combo that is. Really impressed with it all.
So how did you find shutter noise on 7mii?

Glad your liking the A7ii!

I'm sure it'll be lovely but I can't see myself buying it or its stable mates anytime soon. I have a couple of old 24mm f2.8's and three old 28mm f2.8's and although they wont be as good as this new jobbie they're good enough. Also if going for a new manual lens... I like the styling of the Voigtlanders and although I know it's the image quality that should matter I do prefer the old style look of the Voigtlanders and if I do go for a new manual lens it might just be a Voigtlander or a lookalike.

I win !!

I just use the body cap fools people all the time only real problem is the image quality :angelic:

Ah yes, I remember this lovely image you took...

Blurry-landscape.jpg

Hello. Is there a simple description/spec comparison of the A7x models anywhere please?

I've got a basic idea, but it's a bit confusing for a newbie to the range...

Hi

I'm looking for a monochrome FF camera. It seems only Leica if available... There where rumours last year January that Sony was going to bring one out but it seems those where just rumours and nothing more.
My entire system of lenses is based around the e-mount and a-mount system so I was hoping to get my hands on a Sony monochrome converted camera but all I can find is infrared black and white conversions
Does anyone know where I could enquirer to get a camera converted please
Thanx in advance
Carl

Very nice Mick. Do have any portraits with the 90 Macro by any chance?

Cheers Paul, not really taken many people shots as yet?

Here a quick one though of an obliging work colleague haha! It may give you a bit of an idea how the lens performs?

12068854_10153622145637052_3918578736477807686_o.jpg

And here a quick one taken in the garden

DSC01328.jpg

Thanks Mick. Looks good. Maybe not quite compelling enough to tempt me away from my manual-focus 90 but I might give it a whirl if one comes up used somewhere.

Thanks Mick. Looks good. Maybe not quite compelling enough to tempt me away from my manual-focus 90 but I might give it a whirl if one comes up used somewhere.

No problem, like I say it not my thing as you can probably tell haha!

here a few more macro though :)

22127349552_a3d6394909_c.jpg

21953480389_41f40a1744_c.jpg

21518261933_1abd069f49_c.jpg

Back