The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have the A7 mk1 so things may be different but...

I have to hit the C2 Magnify button to zoom in but once that's been pressed I can zoom in more in stages or zoom out in stages using the rear wheel, next to the magnify button. If the A7RII has a rear wheel or indeed any wheel it may be worth turning it as if it works this may be preferable to continually pressing the button.

Actually, the AF/MF button zooms out on mine and I never knew that :D I prefer to use the rear wheel.

A7RII has both front and rear wheels but they just navigate through the images C3 is the only custom button which does anything with image display. Perhaps a more modest zoom In function can be set to a button but Haven't found anything yet.

OK let me ask for some help here. It may be a dumb question but hey ho.
On the A7RII when displaying images to zoom in on the LCD you hit the C3 button (I think this is default) but what that does for me is zooms in completely and I then have to continuously hit the AF/MF button to zoom back out to the perspective I want to look at. So is there a way to gradually zoom in just as one can gradually zoom out?
TIA

Once you have zoomed in with c3 you can slowly zoom out using pad (where you have display, Iso etc) in a circular motion anti clockwise. Clockwise to zoom back in. Looking into the evf while doing this is an excellent way of reviewing the image

Once you have zoomed in with c3 you can slowly zoom out using pad (where you have display, Iso etc) in a circular motion anti clockwise. Clockwise to zoom back in. Looking into the evf while doing this is an excellent way of reviewing the image
Jonathan
Many thanks for that which makes life a lot better. I can't think why when Alan mentioned using a wheel I didn't think of pad / wheel. I got fixated on why the C3 jumped so far into the image [almost all the way] I lost the plot, cursed and didn't manage to find what you informed me of but just went on cursing.

I am pleased my question was answered so quickly by forum members though I may still bash my head against the odd upcoming brick wall but I'll be less stubborn about asking for help. :)

Jonathan
Many thanks for that which makes life a lot better. I can't think why when Alan mentioned using a wheel I didn't think of pad / wheel. I got fixated on why the C3 jumped so far into the image [almost all the way] I lost the plot, cursed and didn't manage to find what you informed me of but just went on cursing.

I am pleased my question was answered so quickly by forum members though I may still bash my head against the odd upcoming brick wall but I'll be less stubborn about asking for help. :)

No worries. I find it quite intuitive and now feels really natural to review the image via the evf.
Enjoy

does anyone use any vintage or adapted lenses with their camera? I'm really up for one but it is a big investment when I would need a 55mm lens as well ( I have canon l glass and sigma arts in canon fit already not worried about autofocus really)

does anyone use any vintage or adapted lenses with their camera? I'm really up for one but it is a big investment when I would need a 55mm lens as well ( I have canon l glass and sigma arts in canon fit already not worried about autofocus really)

I used to use Voigtlander, Mitakon, Leica and Minolta Rokkors. A lot of adapted lenses arent expensive at all, not when you look at Canon FD / Minolta Rokkor / Nikon. If youre not bothered by AF why get the 55?

that was what I read I think if I had one I would have to have at least one native lens I love primes and own a few sigma arts and canon l lenses so have a fair selection but 55 seems fantastic

I have Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD manual lenses and Novoflex adapters and all work fine.

For best results I use the magnified view at wide aperture and then stop down and use the same with peaking.

I can confirm that the 55mm f1.8 is indeed a very good lens although since I bought it the 35mm f2.8 has hardly been off the camera.

Cheers woof I think I'm leaning towards getting one I do have a few options so off to local cam shop to test a few tomorrow :)

I went to the local cam shop to try a a7 ii today initial impression was that the autofocus was a lot faster than I thought it would be ( with the kit lens) ..... I was allowed to test with a metabones adapter and a 24-70 canon ii have to say I was very very impressed with it I think I know what santas going to get me this year ;-)

I went to the local cam shop to try a a7 ii today initial impression was that the autofocus was a lot faster than I thought it would be ( with the kit lens) ..... I was allowed to test with a metabones adapter and a 24-70 canon ii have to say I was very very impressed with it I think I know what santas going to get me this year ;-)
Cool!
Perhaps if you are a very, very good boy you might be able to persuade Santa if she could stick a little 'r' on that :runaway:

yeah I think I will have to go above and beyond to have the r however you never know lol

Just noticed you get more with the newer cameras. 2 batteries and an AC charger?

Just noticed you get more with the newer cameras. 2 batteries and an AC charger?

Nice.

These SLR Magic 50mm f1.1 lenses look nice, wonder what they'll perform like...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/slr-magic-announces-the-new-cine-50mm-f1-1-fe-lens/#disqus_thread

I suppose one advantage is that they wont need an adapter and they may manage to be better than my Rokkor 50mm 1.2 which TBH honest isn't much good at the wider apertures but the Rokkor will work on other cameras via an adapter. If these f1.1's are half way decent I may be tempted. Might have to read the reviews if only out of interest :D

A7rII gets a very largely positive review (with some niggles) at DPR...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7r-ii

Last edited:
Dont waste your money on the official grip, plenty of third party ones that offer more for less.

A firmware update for those with A7SII's and black spots...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Sony will release a firmware update for the α7S II camera on 20th November, 2015. It is designed to eliminate the occurrence of a black spot that may appear in frame when shooting in a specific set of high intensity light conditions. The new firmware, version 1.10, will be available for download through Sony’s e-support site http://www.sony.eu/support/ on the product page for model “ILCE-7SM2

550 for a new a7 with the cash back wow and 500 cash back on a rx1r wow that's a cracking Black Friday deal

Dont waste your money on the official grip, plenty of third party ones that offer more for less.

Had a meike grip delivered today for the a7rii. Nice bit of kit, although it's nearly as big as the camera. Although I wish it had a directional pad on it as moving the focus point while holding in portrait/vertical is very awkward.

Help please?
Switched to movie mode today and it's recorded in B&W don't know what setting I made to cause this.
In Movie mode the setting was XAVCS 4K 25P 100m however reducing these to much lower settings the LCD / EVF whilst shooting and the result are both in B&W.
Previous movies at these settings recorded fine in colour.
I have Lexar Pro 150MB/s 1000x SDXC Class 10 U3 64GB card installed but don't have a spare card of this quality to do a diagnostic swap.
Any ideas of what I might have screwed on the Menu settings or alternate settings to try would be appreciated.

Are there any plans or rumours that Sony may be revisiting or reworking the quality end standard zoom, namely the 24-70?
I'm more than a little interested in the A7R II and appreciate the quality primes but tend use zooms more often hence the question.
Cheers.

Are there any plans or rumours that Sony may be revisiting or reworking the quality end standard zoom, namely the 24-70?
I'm more than a little interested in the A7R II and appreciate the quality primes but tend use zooms more often hence the question.
Cheers.

Theres been a few rumours about a 24-70 f2.8 lens which you would hope is better but I'd imagine it will come at a cost size/weight wise.

Theres been a few rumours about a 24-70 f2.8 lens which you would hope is better but I'd imagine it will come at a cost size/weight wise.

Thanks Chris, sounds interesting but as you say it will grow size wise over the f/4 version. Mind you if they dump the steady shot (the latest bodies have IBIS) maybe some of the bulk can be reduced.

Thanks Chris, sounds interesting but as you say it will grow size wise over the f/4 version. Mind you if they dump the steady shot (the latest bodies have IBIS) maybe some of the bulk can be reduced.

Thats a good point actually, I'd imagine that if IBIS is going to be in all bodies going forward they will stop making OS lenses for the FE mount, like they don't make any OS lenses for the A Mount.

Has anyone in here moved from Nikon D8xx/D7xx/D6xx FF systems to the A7II? What have been your experiences?

I recently bought the Nikon D750 with Holy Trinity 24/70 2.8 and find it an amazing system but I struggle with the size to take it anywhere (like I did with the A6000).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone in here moved from Nikon D8xx/D7xx/D6xx FF systems to the A7II? What have been your experiences?

I recently bought the Nikon D750 with Holy Trinity 24/70 2.8 and find it an amazing system but I struggle with the size to take it anywhere (like I did with the A6000).

Thanks.

I've tried to... I've had a D800, D600 and most recently (and currently) a D750 and while I love the output the size can be a struggle sometimes, however I bought an A7ii and didn't get on with it, IQ wise theres not a lot in it between it and the D750, although like others I think the Nikon RAW files are better than the Sony's.

I also found the ergonomics of the A7ii to be less than ideal for me (although better than the original A7), the thing thats killed it for me for now as a full replacement for my D750 is the lens selection, there isn't a huge size difference once you factor in the zoom lenses as full frame glass can only be so small, that and the serious lack of a good 24-70 (The Zeiss 24-70 f4 is relatively poor).

I think I'm now resolved to the fact that if I want mirrorless its going to be an accompaniment to my FF DSLR, the A7ii and a couple of Zeiss lenses are probably what I'd lust after!

Just on the swapping a DSLR for A7...

I was lucky as when I sold my Canon Gear I got good prices and indeed as I'd bought some of the lenses before the prices rose significantly I sold a couple for more than I paid.

Although I've got more lenses now than I had with my Canon DSLR most are old manual lenses and many double up on focal lengths (just for the fun of it) and although I now have three AF lenses and may buy more I don't think I'll have get back to having the same number of AF lenses as I had with my 5D again. I think I've decided that a simpler setup is best for me and arguably this is where the strength of the A7 series is, an A7 + 28, 35, 55 or 85mm lens, whatever takes your fancy, IMO makes a compact and very good package that doesn't attract too much attention when out.

Wandering about with my A7 and 35mm f2.8 or 55mm is sooooo much preferable than with my 5D and a similar lens.

Lenses are an issue - I think I would get the 70-200 f4 G lens with a 55 f1.8.

I suppose the question is - do you use it a lot more? I was going to take the D750 to the german market in Birmingham last night however I didn't because I knew that it would be a nightmare to lug around with the wife through the crowds. I ended up using an iPhone 6 Plus!

Lenses are an issue - I think I would get the 70-200 f4 G lens with a 55 f1.8.

I suppose the question is - do you use it a lot more? I was going to take the D750 to the german market in Birmingham last night however I didn't because I knew that it would be a nightmare to lug around with the wife through the crowds. I ended up using an iPhone 6 Plus!

Taking it more was my reason for looking at one, with a 55mm its a nice small setup, although the D750 with the 50mm f1.8 isn't massive either to be fair.

Back