The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hmmm, yes. Children are difficult and that's why I post so few and hardly ever of strangers children. I have very few pictures in which strangers children can be clearly identified and in the ones I have it's because they came into the shot rather than them being the subject.

Yes, 85mm and AF in Sony land is going to be expensive and if you have an itch for the Fuji and 56mm f1.2 or for a Nikon and 85mm then I don't see any real reason why you shouldn't have one. As I keep saying, I'm just a party pooper on the f1.2 issue :D

And a PS. My question to Twist wasn't in any way loaded, I was honestly just asking as I can't remember seeing many if any pictures in this thread and was genuinely interested in both preferred subject and specifically when f1.2/1.4 is used :D

I dont take much to heart mate, its all just a discussion after all and we all use our gear differently.

When I was out and about with the a7 it was more candid portraits because my favoured fl for a day out is 35mm, I only had the 55 available because I found the 35 2.8 to slow and if I was to mount a 35 1.4 Zeiss to the a7 I may as well just have taken the d750 and 35 ART. I'm not a fan of small camera, big lens or its a bit pointless.

Nope. With af I don't have to wait for the kid to pause. I just let the camera do its thing along with me moving the point after setting it to do so.

If you say so :D but with AF and especially if moving the focus point it all still takes time and you will surely still be waiting for the right moment assuming you want the childs face at least in part to the camera. As well as wanting the face in part to the camera you may also want to focus on an eye and if doing so the question of focus and DoF are still relevant and it's likely that the focus point of whatever you are shooting with will cover more than the point you'd ideally wish sharp and to focus on. In fact it may cover a significant part of the face and you could end up with the nose sharp and the eyes slightly out.

But as I said posts ago, minor focus errors be they AF or MF may not be visible in a whole image and may only be obvious when viewing at higher magnification on screen.

Anyway, although I try not to pixel peep these issues are partly why I don't use f1.2 to f2 all that much. Personally I'd rather stop down for more DoF and let the ISO rise a bit.

Ignore me, I'm just a party pooper!

If you say so :D but with AF and especially if moving the focus point it all still takes time and you will surely still be waiting for the right moment assuming you want the childs face at least in part to the camera. As well as wanting the face in part to the camera you may also want to focus on an eye and if doing so the question of focus and DoF are still relevant and it's likely that the focus point of whatever you are shooting with will cover more than the point you'd ideally wish sharp and to focus on. In fact it may cover a significant part of the face and you could end up with the nose sharp and the eyes slightly out.

But as I said posts ago, minor focus errors be they AF or MF may not be visible in a whole image and may only be obvious when viewing at higher magnification on screen.

Anyway, although I try not to pixel peep these issues are partly why I don't use f1.2 to f2 all that much. Personally I'd rather stop down for more DoF and let the ISO rise a bit.

Ignore me, I'm just a party pooper!

I work around the subject if that makes sense, I'm not a stand in one place photographer. All I need to worry about is my initial setup, exposure but mostly moving myself and focus point to frame my subject.

The focus points are fairly small, if the subject is far away enough that the point covers the whole face well then the face should be in focus due to having more dof at that distance.

That's the way you do things and that's fine. Nothing wrong with it. (y)

Prices are out, as suspected...

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM £1799
Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM £1499
Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM TBC
Sony TC's TBC

Prices are out, as suspected...

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM £1799
Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM £1499
Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM TBC
Sony TC's TBC

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised at the price of the 85mm. I probably still wont get one (yet) but it's a bit cheaper than I thought it'd be. Give it a few months to a year and I wonder what the street price will be?

I heard a rumour that prices may go up! Not sure if that's true or not.

Oh er...

I'm convincing myself that the 85mm might be a good buy if it's as good as hoped and if the street price drops a bit and I also wonder what the likes of Digitalrev shop and the other grey lot will sell it for in a year or so... assuming the price doesn't go UP and assuming they can make enough and not have a Batis like shortage.

24-70 seems similar price to the newest Canon/Nikon ones, 85mm seems dear though!!

It's certainly more than the excellent Sigma.

In comparison to the Sigma and maybe one or two other lenses on sale I don't suppose the Sony lens makes a lot of sense but as a one off purchase and hopefully to last a good few years it's maybe not so bad. Certainly could be worse.

id wait for reviews, but if you shoot nikon/sony or canon/sony, then id favour the dslr lenses, often negliable size/weight difference, big price difference, and u can use them on multiple systems.

adapter performance is improving, and id be wary of sonys commitment to camera systems and design choices.... as a a mount user we learnt that the hard way.

id wait for reviews, but if you shoot nikon/sony or canon/sony, then id favour the dslr lenses, often negliable size/weight difference, big price difference, and u can use them on multiple systems.

adapter performance is improving, and id be wary of sonys commitment to camera systems and design choices.... as a a mount user we learnt that the hard way.
What's lacking for the A-mount? I don't know much history but the A-mount lens lineup looks complete no?

You have to remember that Sony knows where sensor technology is heading, higher mega pixels is definitely in the future and these lenses will have been designed for that in mind.
First lenses to surpass the 50 lines resolution optical... or do they say. ;)

It's certainly more than the excellent Sigma.

In comparison to the Sigma and maybe one or two other lenses on sale I don't suppose the Sony lens makes a lot of sense but as a one off purchase and hopefully to last a good few years it's maybe not so bad. Certainly could be worse.
I'd go with batis mate. Cheaper and lighter else go for a Canon 1.2 instead!

I'd go with batis mate. Cheaper and lighter else go for a Canon 1.2 instead!
If I ever do get an AF 85mm tbh I can't see it being the Batis as I don't like the possible cats eye bokeh. I can see it's a nice lens and it has its fans but I don't think it's for me.

What's lacking for the A-mount? I don't know much history but the A-mount lens lineup looks complete no?

tilt shift, long primes, and upgrades to ssm for the screw drive lenses, ultra wide kinda

some of the lenses arent very good also. some are really overpriced like the 70-200 2.8 g2
the 100mm macro is screw drive and extending.

fe has gotten 95-98% of the lens effort.

If they had upgraded the premium lenses to ssm atleast, then it might not be so bad, but theres the 135mm 1.8 which is fantastic.... with screw drive :\

tilt shift, long primes, and upgrades to ssm for the screw drive lenses, ultra wide kinda

some of the lenses arent very good also. some are really overpriced like the 70-200 2.8 g2
the 100mm macro is screw drive and extending.

fe has gotten 95-98% of the lens effort.

If they had upgraded the premium lenses to ssm atleast, then it might not be so bad, but theres the 135mm 1.8 which is fantastic.... with screw drive :\

3rd party a mount lenses always seem more expensive than canikon too

I suppose Sony thought it best just to focus on the new FE product line for its future business etc.
I wonder if Nikon / Canon will go the same route when/if they go mirrorless FF.

Will they go mirrorless in any meaningful way?

I'd guess that they'll only get serious about mirrorless if DSLR sales drop through the floor and CSC's rise and so far isn't it the case that CSC sales haven't risen as high as expected? I'd guess that they hoping mirrorless just goes away.

I'm not sure what Nikon & Canon have got in the pipeline but they need to do something in a ever shrinking market place.
Sony are probably the best placed due to their sensor advancements. I bet their GM lenses are lined up for future advantages compared to their Nikon/Canon lenses.

I'm not sure what Nikon & Canon have got in the pipeline but they need to do something in a ever shrinking market place.
Sony are probably the best placed due to their sensor advancements. I bet their GM lenses are lined up for future advantages compared to their Nikon/Canon lenses.

Fyi Canikon and dslr are still massively outselling mirrorless.

Look at the evolution of the A7 to the A7Rii, and now the size of the lenses they are putting out. I think the size issue is overblown - some of the FF DSLRs are pretty small these days!

Fyi Canikon and dslr are still massively outselling mirrorless.
That's to be expected as DSLR technology has been around a lot longer than mirrorless tech. Both Nikon & Canon's figures tell the true story, year on year they are declining/losing money from their previous year(s).
This can also be reflected in retail businesses who have seen massive amounts of DSLR owners moving to mirrorless with less volumes of DSLR going out of the door than previous years.
Add all the above together and it's easy to see which way the DSLR is going...... just a question on when.

Look at the evolution of the A7 to the A7Rii, and now the size of the lenses they are putting out. I think the size issue is overblown - some of the FF DSLRs are pretty small these days!
Sony are going after image quality with their larger FE lenses, size is second priority when your talking GM lenses. :)

I agree to a certain extent, with the smaller sensors there is clearly a case for mirrorless. With full frame and the fact that lenses are so heavy I'm not sure the mirrorless advantage is as big, because the mirror is a smaller proportion of the overall mass of body and lens - if you see what I mean!

edit: and because the lenses are bigger, it is sometimes/often useful to have a decent sized body to balance the weight

Last edited:
Guys any of you who use metabones do you switch the canon image stabs off all the time and use 5axis or do you enable the canon stuff but only on long reach?

I noticed when it's on 5axis is off and on when you disable lens

I agree to a certain extent, with the smaller sensors there is clearly a case for mirrorless. With full frame and the fact that lenses are so heavy I'm not sure the mirrorless advantage is as big, because the mirror is a smaller proportion of the overall mass of body and lens - if you see what I mean!

edit: and because the lenses are bigger, it is sometimes/often useful to have a decent sized body to balance the weight
Yep, I have my A7 bodies with battery grips attached, it still feels smaller than my Nikon D7000 & Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup.
I think everybody wants, needs and likes different things in there bodies/systems, I can see why people still prefer DSLR's over Mirrorless etc.

That's to be expected as DSLR technology has been around a lot longer than mirrorless tech. Both Nikon & Canon's figures tell the true story, year on year they are declining/losing money from their previous year(s).
This can also be reflected in retail businesses who have seen massive amounts of DSLR owners moving to mirrorless with less volumes of DSLR going out of the door than previous years.
Add all the above together and it's easy to see which way the DSLR is going...... just a question on when.

How many people on this site alone buy mirrorless then run back to DSLR?

Dont get to excited...

Bildschirmfoto-2015-04-27-um-15.54.27.png

Last edited:
How many people on this site alone buy mirrorless then run back to DSLR?

Dont get to excited...

Bildschirmfoto-2015-04-27-um-15.54.27.png

How many people on this site making switches to and from mirrorless is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things....

.... The fact is Nikon could ship all the best DSLR units in the world, still doesn't change the fact Nikon are making losses..... and have been doing for a fair while.... no D500 or D5 will save them!! Lol ;)

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/05/14/n...ts-are-out-sales-down-15-income-down-12.aspx/
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-fiscal-2015-results.html

How many people on this site making switches to and from mirrorless is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things....

.... The fact is Nikon could ship all the best DSLR units in the world, still doesn't change the fact Nikon are making losses..... and have been doing for a fair while.... no D500 or D5 will save them!! Lol ;)

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/05/14/n...ts-are-out-sales-down-15-income-down-12.aspx/

No but it gives you a sample of data. Its a fairly large community.

Yet they've managed to stay in business and still be no.2 in the world and ship loads more cameras and lenses than Sony year on year on year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No but it gives you a sample of data. Its a fairly large community.

Yet they've managed to stay in business and still be no.2 in the world and ship loads more cameras and lenses than Sony year on year on year. :rolleyes:
Nikon have stayed in business this long yes, but that doesn't determine its future. There is a reason why Nikon buy sensors off Sony :rolleyes:

Think Nikon are still making money, they are just making less of it! But yes it is an issue across the camera industry - you can blame smartphones more than mirrorless cameras though IMO

Nikon have stayed in business this long yes, but that doesn't determine its future. There is a reason why Nikon buy sensors off Sony :rolleyes:

Because Sony is the biggest sensor manufacturer in the world. But nikon also bought sensors elsewhere in the past. Dont be fooled into thinking Sony are doing Nikon a favour, its a mutually beneficial relationship.

Nikon will change when they are ready, but they are still selling cameras and that sells lenses, they aren't stupid, let someone else do the r&d, just like they let someone else manufacture the sensors and they tweak them for better output.

My A7 + 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8 isn't significantly larger than my MFT G1 + lens and with the 35mm it fits in the same small lowepro bag my GX7 fits in. No FF DSLR will fit in the same bag even without a lens :D

As I keep saying, this is the first time I've had quality cameras that match the bulk of my film cameras instead of being much bigger and heavier and I'm just glad to be rid of those big fat attention grabbing DSLR's :D

I agree with Riz on the new lend size issue, Sony are clearly going for top end quality.

Think Nikon are still making money, they are just making less of it! But yes it is an issue across the camera industry - you can blame smartphones more than mirrorless cameras though IMO

I bet Nikon would rather CSC's just went away and everyone would buy a Nikon DSLR though :D

Shame to see this thread descending into the same tired stuff we've seen every few pages... Guys, if the A7 isn't for you just go buy a Nikon DSLR, job done :D

Last edited:
Back