The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

canikon will only need to do a couple of lenses, rest can be adapted or new longer rear end grafted on, as ef is full electric, and nikons new ones are too

a mount has a mechanical apature link and screw drive with motor in the body which older lenses use.

Sonys lenses are big because they are FF lenses, how are people still managing to ignore this FACT. All you need to do is compare the lens sizes and weights.

Brickon lol, I think youre trying to fool yourself into thinking that your Fony setup will be smaller and much lighter than a DSLR setup.

Last edited:
Sonys lenses are big because they are FF lenses, how are people still managing to ignore this FACT. All you need to do is compare the lens sizes and weights.

Brickon lol, I think youre trying to fool yourself into thinking that your setup will be smaller and much lighter than your Fony setup.
Morning

Yep the fe lenses are defo as big as canon/Nikon... hence the master g having the emphasis on quality... I think sony have realised if you want fast lenses you cant cheat the laws of physics

Yep the fe lenses are defo as big as canon/Nikon... hence the master g having the emphasis on quality... I think sony have realised if you want fast lenses you cant cheat the laws of physics

That also applies to slow lenses, the lens has to cover the sensor image circle. Smaller sensor, smaller lens, unless you start removing things like AF etc and comparing slow lenses to fast lenses, but all being equal....

Last edited:
image.jpeg

No real case for for being a size & weight saver.

Although the below is going to be a winner to take to Holland next month.

image.jpeg

Brickon lol, I think youre trying to fool yourself into thinking that your setup will be smaller and much lighter than your Fony setup.
Your right, can't defy physics when it comes to the lenses and the new GM lenses prove this.
I don't think people are ignoring the fact that mirrorless isn't just about weight & size advantages/disadvantages, as the whole Sony FE project would have failed if nobody bought them.
For me as a body + lens combination my setup still feels more nimble/compact for the performance it offers vs my old Brickon D7000 @ Brickkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup! ;)

Your right, can't defy physics when it comes to the lenses and the new GM lenses prove this.
I don't think people are ignoring the fact that mirrorless isn't just about weight & size advantages/disadvantages, as the whole Sony FE project would have failed if nobody bought them.
For me as a body + lens combination my setup still feels more nimble/compact for the performance it offers vs my old Brickon D7000 @ Brickkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup! ;)

The only saving you make is on the body and thats 150g, whoopee, not sure you have to go to the gym for that, add your 2 spares and youve hit that weight and still dont have the same battery life. I wasnt arguing other benefits of mirrorless, a lot of people like what they offer.

The only saving you make is on the body and thats 150g, whoopee, not sure you have to go to the gym for that, add your 2 spares and youve hit that weight and still dont have the same battery life. I wasnt arguing other benefits of mirrorless, a lot of people like what they offer.
I see the light on both sides so I'm in your camp.

My a7r2 weighs slightly less then my 5d3 but offers better IQ and that's the main reason I went for it. I also like the manual focus stuff on it as well and it is a smaller camera overall that makes dumping inside my work bag a breeze.

I think i wont use this for serious studio work because the buffer is a joke. But for travel on not so demanding places it's perfect!

When I went to see f1 last year I took only my 5d3 mate as it's the best for sports no doubt.

But the a7r2 is still fine camera to have in your arsenal twist and hope one day you will purchase and enjoy such a great tool for traveling and landscape/static scenes.

I see the light on both sides so I'm in your camp.

My a7r2 weighs slightly less then my 5d3 but offers better IQ and that's the main reason I went for it. I also like the manual focus stuff on it as well and it is a smaller camera overall that makes dumping inside my work bag a breeze.

I think i wont use this for serious studio work because the buffer is a joke. But for travel on not so demanding places it's perfect!

When I went to see f1 last year I took only my 5d3 mate as it's the best for sports no doubt.

But the a7r2 is still fine camera to have in your arsenal twist and hope one day you will purchase and enjoy such a great tool for traveling and landscape/static scenes.

What's he buffer issue in the studio? Not machine gunning are you?

No.

When you shoot uncompressed raw it takes a few seconds to process a pic and be able to see it in the live view..

Try it. Take a shot and then immediately press the preview play button...

Seemed OK -instant actually.
What card u using?

Last edited:
Ah I see. I get the image I took on screen/evf instantly - but takes a couple of seconds before I can take the next shot.
Instantly? With what memory card? I'm using a fast SanDisk one and because the slot only has max 35mb write speed. It can't buffer quick enough.

Forget burst mode too because after 6 shots your camera cant be used for a while..

Instantly? With what memory card? I'm using a fast SanDisk one and because the slot only has max 35mb write speed. It can't buffer quick enough.

Forget burst mode too because after 6 shots your camera cant be used for a while..

I'm talking singe shot- which is what I'd use in a studio environment.

Still the size v DSLR issue.... move on people :D

The way I see it is this system is best when used with more compact lenses when you want a smaller system more in line with the way cameras used to be... plus for manual focus and the whole WYSIWYG thing.

These are all things I like and I do see the advantages of DSLR's and can't blame anyone for going down the DSLR route but seriously, the A7 system has been out for long enough now for people to work out what the pro's and cons are.

For me this system is near perfect, AF 35 and 55mm primes and the ability to use manual lenses. Great :D

Last edited:
Still the size v DSLR issue.... move on people :D

The way I see it is this system is best when used with more compact lenses when you want a smaller system more in line with the way cameras used to be... plus for manual focus and the whole WYSIWYG thing.

This is true, but Sony is chasing the whole FF camera market - which lot more customers than this small subsection you identify with (people who want small cameras but are only satisfied with FF)

Ultimately the killer feature of mirrorless is on-sensor focus and metering - much higher accuracy compared to DSLRs who have to use a separate unit to do this.

Once these get up to DSLR speeds there will be a much more convincing case for mirrorless, and it's definitely getting there.

Eventually Sony will likely need to have 2 mirror less lines, the current small factor bodies and then a more DSLR style body which will likely replace the A Mount eventually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumoured A9 was a much larger beast with a proper grip for holding onto these new massive lenses!

Ultimately the killer feature of mirrorless is on-sensor focus and metering - much higher accuracy compared to DSLRs who have to use a separate unit to do this.

Once these get up to DSLR speeds there will be a much more convincing case for mirrorless, and it's definitely getting there.

This is something I agree with. I've had more in focus images and sharper images with my A7ii over the d750 I had. Most lens had to be fine tuned on the d750 which was an Arse

But the canon 5d3 was brilliant in the AF being spot on. But this Sony is just lovely.

This is something I agree with. I've had more in focus images and sharper images with my A7ii over the d750 I had. Most lens had to be fine tuned on the d750 which was an Arse

But the canon 5d3 was brilliant in the AF being spot on. But this Sony is just lovely.
Pretty sure d750 has less af points? Much like how canon gimped on the 6d? @twist

Clearly there was something very wrong with your methods or your camera.

Pretty sure d750 has less af points? Much like how canon gimped on the 6d? @twist

I think youll find the D750 AF is more advanced and superior to the 5D3. Dont compare a 6D to a D750, the D750 has D4S AF and it achieves even lower light lock.

Last edited:
Clearly there was something very wrong with your methods or your camera.

Clearly not my method as I had no problem nailing focus on any other cameras..

Clearly not my method as I had no problem nailing focus on any other cameras..

Have you read the reports about AF with the D750, everyone that uses it is impressed, or you would see far more for sale and far less pages in the D750 thread.

Maybe yours was faulty and thats why you never took to it and got shots in focus. Its by far the best AF Ive used in a camera and Ive used a lot of cameras.

Have you read the reports about AF with the D750, everyone that uses it is impressed, or you would see far more for sale and far less pages in the D750 thread.

Maybe yours was faulty and thats why you never took to it and got shots in focus. Its by far the best AF Ive used in a camera and Ive used a lot of cameras.

Maybe your right maybe I had a duff D750 ah well it gone in the mean time lol

Really? Thought the af spread is narrower then 5d3? How many cross type af points is there

Mirrorless have even more points, that means nowt especially on dslrs with such similar specs. The D750 can AF to -3EV on ALL points in its frame, (51pts vs 61pts Canon). In reality most of us would never notice the difference between the two because they are both bloody good.

Last edited:
Mirrorless have even more points, that means nowt. The D750 can AF to -3EV on ALL points in its frame, (51pts vs 61pts Canon). In reality most of us would never notice the difference between the two because they are both bloody good.

I can agree with you on the Canon 5D3 I must of had a cracker.. But the D750 I can't agree with it as you say I must of had a faulty one.

Back