The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hmmm, been thinking I may move mine on.

You got the Fuji bug. Couldnt sell mine, I got that feeling as soon as I listed it, didnt sit well with me, will get rid of loads of accessories I have I dont use. BTW 50-140 is incredible!!

Hmmm, been thinking I may move mine on.

Let me know if you do Jonathan - my next spending spree on camera gear will be in a couple of weeks (I hope).

@twist - do you use an external mic for video? Any recommendations?

I have a Zoom H1 that I'd use to record, but would like a new lavalier for what I have in mind. I have the Audio Technica, but the battery can be such a pain I'd like another.

Let me know if you do Jonathan - my next spending spree on camera gear will be in a couple of weeks (I hope).

@twist - do you use an external mic for video? Any recommendations?

I have a Zoom H1 that I'd use to record, but would like a new lavalier for what I have in mind. I have the Audio Technica, but the battery can be such a pain I'd like another.

No mate, internal is good enough for me but external would be better.

The rumor site reports good financial news from Sony, which I suppose is good news for Sony users and continuation and expansion of the system. There's a financial report PDF you can download if sufficiently motivated...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-financial-report-significant-operating-income-increase/

Not strictly A7 series related but I wonder if they're doing better they'll ever improve the A6000 series lens line up? Looking at the Sony A6000 series, Fuji and MFT systems IMO the Sony lens line up seems easily the weakest... IMO... and for enthusiasts at least. Whatever, I'm probably too much invested in MFT now to change.

And while I'm going off thread... I read a piece on Thom Hogan's site which made me a little worried about Nikon...

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/more-troubles-at-nikon.html

I started my SLR life with Nikon many years ago and although when going digital I went with Canon as everyone said they were the best (at that time...) I still have a soft sport for Nikon and for me they always seem to have more elan than the (IMO) rather pedestrian and staid Canon, and the rather tenuous link to A7 series owners is I suppose that this all goes to show that the camera business seems to be a tricky business to be in theses days although some company woes seem to be at least to some degree self inflicted.

Last edited:
These days Thom just seems to whine about Nikon, doesnt stop people buying them. I think that as the camera business shrinks manufacturers are cutting corners.

These days Thom just seems to whine about Nikon, doesnt stop people buying them. I think that as the camera business shrinks manufacturers are cutting corners.
I think he only does it because he cares and he does seem to have valid points and always seems constructive rather than just being a serial knocker. And there are people like that out there.

There certainly are!

I sometimes do work for a Japanese company working out of Thailand. The cultures and practices of the three nationalities involved (me being a Brit (sort of,) the Thai's and the Japanese higher management) are rather different and do cause issues so I can relate to some of Thom's points. Sometimes you can see the problems coming but the Japanese just don't seem to learn or change.

I sometimes do work for a Japanese company working out of Thailand. The cultures and practices of the three nationalities involved (me being a Brit (sort of,) the Thai's and the Japanese higher management) are rather different and do cause issues so I can relate to some of Thom's points. Sometimes you can see the problems coming but the Japanese just don't seem to learn or change.

Olympus comes to mind.

Am struggling to actually upload a photo here..how? What code before and after link?

Last edited:
Maybe the size of the photo, taken on an iphone

Last edited:
I took this shot and decided it was meh. The composition isn't great and it isn't what the shot was meant to be as the original squirrel ran off and another appeared behind GF and she turned and has her back to the camera, the light was pretty meh too. But. The more I looked at this shot with my finger hovering over Delete the more I liked it :D Funny how that happens from time to time and I find myself liking a shot I initially thought ready for the bin. It's nothing that's going to win any prizes, just a moment from a trip to the park but I seem to like it more and more...

A7 + 35mm f2.8 @ f4, 1/125, ISO 500, +1 comp.

Last edited:
My Sony GAS is on hold for now due to a car order ;) lol

I'll take a guess it will kick back in as soon as a few 70-200 f2.8 reviews surface :D

Thankfully I have no interest in cars any longer (spent enough on them in the past lol). Like my camper to much to have anything else. Which car you ordered?

My GAS is on hold for a few weeks as well, as waiting for quite a large sum to come in. As soon as here I'll get the f4 though, plus a few other bits I have my eye on.

On a different note, I ordered some prints this week from DSCL. First time I've used a lab and really impressed with how they've come out and how good value they were. Just ordered a load of mounting gear and ordering a few more prints. The Missus likes them as well so is busy editing a load of her shots to get done as well. I can see me and the Missus competing for wall space quite soon :)

I'll take a guess it will kick back in as soon as a few 70-200 f2.8 reviews surface :D

Thankfully I have no interest in cars any longer (spent enough on them in the past lol). Like my camper to much to have anything else. Which car you ordered?

My GAS is on hold for a few weeks as well, as waiting for quite a large sum to come in. As soon as here I'll get the f4 though, plus a few other bits I have my eye on.

On a different note, I ordered some prints this week from DSCL. First time I've used a lab and really impressed with how they've come out and how good value they were. Just ordered a load of mounting gear and ordering a few more prints. The Missus likes them as well so is busy editing a load of her shots to get done as well. I can see me and the Missus competing for wall space quite soon :)

70-200 f4 seems decent. Very lightweight too. With added reach on a6000

I visited the Wex London Show today, the Sony F4 70-200 was on sale for £799 as a show special, wish I had picked one up now (but purchased a A7r and new Sony 35mm F2.8 in the last week, so was feeling guilty)

How's the dynamic range?

Dunno about the 1D but DR wise DPR say that the 80D is improved but doesn't catch the best of the rest.

"Raw dynamic range on the other hand is increased substantially, and if you're prepared to spend some time manipulating the 80D's Raw files, the extra latitude can make a huge difference to the camera's photographic potential in some shooting situations. The 80D's sensor still lags behind the competition a little bit in this regard (specifically against the Nikon D7200 and Sony a6300) but it's encouraging to see Canon (finally) moving forward in terms of DR."

Last edited:
The rumor site reports good financial news from Sony, which I suppose is good news for Sony users and continuation and expansion of the system. There's a financial report PDF you can download if sufficiently motivated...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-financial-report-significant-operating-income-increase/

Not strictly A7 series related but I wonder if they're doing better they'll ever improve the A6000 series lens line up? Looking at the Sony A6000 series, Fuji and MFT systems IMO the Sony lens line up seems easily the weakest... IMO... and for enthusiasts at least. Whatever, I'm probably too much invested in MFT now to change.

And while I'm going off thread... I read a piece on Thom Hogan's site which made me a little worried about Nikon...

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/more-troubles-at-nikon.html

I started my SLR life with Nikon many years ago and although when going digital I went with Canon as everyone said they were the best (at that time...) I still have a soft sport for Nikon and for me they always seem to have more elan than the (IMO) rather pedestrian and staid Canon, and the rather tenuous link to A7 series owners is I suppose that this all goes to show that the camera business seems to be a tricky business to be in theses days although some company woes seem to be at least to some degree self inflicted.

sony has a huge focus on fe and rx series, other stuff gets much less
2013 was newest date on dyxum for e mount aspc (for lens)
a mount its 2013 or 2012(!) for its last new optical design

thats pretty shocking really, but everyones on the fe hype train so theres no pressure from the media on sony to actually do something for its old customers :/

Back