The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not sure what world you live in that's perfect. Everything 'breaks' eventually and most of the time it's human error. What did that have to do with your method supposedly being better?
The world isn't perfect but I am and I expect everything else to be too.
:D

I never said my method was better but there seem to be many people reporting problems importing files so personally I just side step the whole thing by doing it one of the two ways I mentioned as it saves me time and reaching for the axe.

Lovely pictures Rob and Paul :D

All I've shot today is DIY :D Posted in another thread :D

Great pictures. My A7ii, 24 - 70 F4 and 35mm 2.8 arrived and I look forward to some playtime. To save me trawling the thread is there a recommended book or web page advising on initial best settings or how to make the most of the camera? Im coming from MFT so apart from a brief dabble with a Nikon D750 im new to Sony.

To save me trawling the thread is there a recommended book or web page advising on initial best settings or how to make the most of the camera?
There's not really a "best settings", because everyone is different. What I'd recommend:

When you've got time with the camera but nothing to shoot, in the custom key settings, assign help to one of the buttons (I think it's called Camera Guide, something like that). Then trawl through the menus and press the help button on anything that isn't immediately obvious. That'll give you an idea of what it can do.

Get a key (and function menu) setup that works for you. While the cameras are awesome, the menus are terrible. Get your commonly used functions on the buttons, and the less commonly used ones on the function menu. The only time I ever have to go in the menus is to format the card or some video setup. How much your button assignments are set up makes a huge difference in how easy and fun to use it is.

If you take a lot of photos of people, assign one of the buttons to Eye AF, it's pretty awesome.

There's not really a "best settings", because everyone is different. What I'd recommend:

When you've got time with the camera but nothing to shoot, in the custom key settings, assign help to one of the buttons (I think it's called Camera Guide, something like that). Then trawl through the menus and press the help button on anything that isn't immediately obvious. That'll give you an idea of what it can do.

Get a key (and function menu) setup that works for you. While the cameras are awesome, the menus are terrible. Get your commonly used functions on the buttons, and the less commonly used ones on the function menu. The only time I ever have to go in the menus is to format the card or some video setup. How much your button assignments are set up makes a huge difference in how easy and fun to use it is.

If you take a lot of photos of people, assign one of the buttons to Eye AF, it's pretty awesome.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The eye AF is one of the things I loved about MFT so will do that.

I was fortunate thanks to a generous forum member who I purchased my A7ii from, to also receive a adapter to use Canon EF lenses on my new toy. I have the lenses in my signature but Im tempted with something for indoor portraits of grandchildren etc. Any Canon recommendations? GAS is a terrible thing!

I was fortunate thanks to a generous forum member who I purchased my A7ii from, to also receive a adapter to use Canon EF lenses on my new toy. I have the lenses in my signature but Im tempted with something for indoor portraits of grandchildren etc. Any Canon recommendations? GAS is a terrible thing!

I just put one in the canon classifieds that should satisfy the most extreme bouts of GAS

I just put one in the canon classifieds that should satisfy the most extreme bouts of GAS

And my wallet!

There's an interesting write up on the TechArt Leica M to Sony AF adapter here...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/techart-pro-review-by-doug-kaye/#disqus_thread

Interesting. The adapter I got appears very well made and reported by the seller to work very well with Canon EF lenses. I have seen an 85mm EF lens that is tempting me at MPB.

Interesting. The adapter I got appears very well made and reported by the seller to work very well with Canon EF lenses. I have seen an 85mm EF lens that is tempting me at MPB.

I've only had one AF 85mm and it was the Sigma f1.4 which I thought was excellent and very probably the best AF lens I'd used until I bought into the Sony system. I currently have three manual 85's and as I don't use them much and when I do it's for stationary subjects MF is ok for me.

That does look nice Jonathan.

I don't use my 85's much but here's a few I stuck in a test folder, with my Minolta 85mm f2.

I took this because I liked the colours and I'd taken a similar shot years before with my Sigma 85mm.

I took this as a part of a Brenizer method stich.

This is the final stitch.

This was just a test shot taken with the intent of metering off the flowers and pixel peeping.

100%.

These pictures taken with old lenses look ok-ish, pretty good in the centre but less so towards the edges and at wide apertures and I'd expect the Batis to be (a lot) better in every department so stop tempting me!!!!!!

Last edited:
That does look nice Jonathan.

I don't use my 85's much but here's a few I stuck in a test folder, with my Minolta 85mm f2.

I took this because I liked the colours and I'd taken a similar shot years before with my Sigma 85mm.

I took this as a part of a Brenizer method stich.

This is the final stitch.

This was just a test shot taken with the intent of metering off the flowers and pixel peeping.

100%.

These pictures taken with old lenses look ok-ish, pretty good in the centre but less so towards the edges and at wide apertures and I'd expect the Batis to be (a lot) better in every department so stop tempting me!!!!!!

I've had the lens a while but buying it during the winter meant not really getting out to use it.
It's a lovely lens

My problem is time. I've possibly mentioned before that I look after someone and it's pretty much a 24/7 commitment tied pretty much to the house plus I have a long suffering girlfriend so those two little commitments mean that although I usually get a few hours out by myself every couple of weeks dedicated out by myself photography days are few and far between and then it becomes difficult to justify the cost to myself, about a £1k for a lens I'd probably get to use just a few times a year. When on a longer break, a holiday, I'd still be taking the 35mm f2.8.

Nice dream to have one though and the time to use it :D

Experiments continue.
Today Sony A7RII + Sigma MC-11 + Sigma 35mm
No green light
Focus is not so fast as it was on Canon 6D
Not bad. A lot of details. But it is 42 mp, so it is expected.
May be I need to update the firmware of the Sigma 35mm lens.
Still looking for someone with Sigma dock in London :) :)

Example from today:
Prince Alfred Pub
Bayswater, London, UK
Prince Alfred Pub by kalpachev1, on Flickr

yes the new range of godox flashs and triggers are great, I have been using them for a couple of mouths on both my a6000 and a7rii, the only issues so far is that there is a slight delay between pushing the shutter release and the picture being taken.

yes the new range of godox flashs and triggers are great, I have been using them for a couple of mouths on both my a6000 and a7rii, the only issues so far is that there is a slight delay between pushing the shutter release and the picture being taken.

That's interesting, haven't noticed that myself (yet). So far I'm really impressed with the kit and will be ordering another 685 or two very soon.

I need a couple of studio lights for video and was going to go for the Aputure Amaran LED's, but I've noticed today that Godox do these as well (LED500). Can't find enough info on them yet to make a decision.

Yeah, that also annoys me, every mirrorless I've had does that. It's just that fraction off, won't bother some though, but anything fast it's annoying especially when used to a dslr.

That's interesting, haven't noticed that myself (yet). So far I'm really impressed with the kit and will be ordering another 685 or two very soon.

I need a couple of studio lights for video and was going to go for the Aputure Amaran LED's, but I've noticed today that Godox do these as well (LED500). Can't find enough info on them yet to make a decision.

Godox make decent lights just accept there's no warranty.

Unless I buy through Amazon. No chance of anything being fixed, but they will refund without any issue as a last resort.

Good point actually on the warranty, maybe I should have bought the flash off Amazon as well. Not to worry :)

Not really, after your 30 days are up you have to deal with the manufacturer.... good luck with that!

Don't panic though, like I said, stuffs pretty decent.

There's a thread at Luminous Landscape about compressed v uncompressed files...

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=110549.msg909982;boardseen#new

It'll be interesting to see if others chime in with more info.

I don't think this would be enough to push me to buy a mk II. I can't say that I've seen any compression issues and I don't tend to boost the shadows +5.

I'm not too sure that I'll change my mind about compression being a non issue but I do think it's almost a non issue for me :D

And that leads me to a question for all you mk II owners with the option of shooting uncompressed or compressed. Have you noticed any advantages and if so how/when/ where etc? :D

Last edited:
Same here with the weather. I was just finishing a cup of tea and then I was set to go out for a couple of hours but before I could finish it started to tank down. Oh well...

Lovely picture though Jonathan.

For good or bad I started to look for used Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 (published in the WANTED thread).
If anyone has such lens and does not wanted it anymore, please let me know :)
Even though not sure how much better will be VS sigma 60mm (with rear baffle removed)

Also posted to sell Sony A6000.

Too much GAS these days lol :)

Last edited:
Will be interested to see if you get any response for a fe 55mm, possible the best lens for the Sony mirrorless system?

Same here with the weather. I was just finishing a cup of tea and then I was set to go out for a couple of hours but before I could finish it started to tank down. Oh well...

Lovely picture though Jonathan.

Cheers Alan. Managed to get some gardening done before the rain came. Ordered the Batis yet? ;)

I keep looking at a few things, the 85mm's and Voigtlander lenses mainly and also the A7rII, but I don't think I have any real plans to buy anything. If I had more time maybe, but I'm pretty occupied at the moment.

Back