The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Im referring to the A6000 but it should be relevant so I'm just asking,
3:2 or 16:9 ratios in menu? is it true that 16:9 cuts off some of the top of frame?

thanks

Is this a official Sony do u guys know as I can't tell

https://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1967C77/view

Looks to be the genuine Sony going by the model number. Could always email them to double check?

I had one of the pattern grips (Meike) and hated it, so sent it back. As all I wanted was a slightly larger grip, I bought an L-plate. Now a perfect fit in my hand.

Looks to be the genuine Sony going by the model number. Could always email them to double check?

I had one of the pattern grips (Meike) and hated it, so sent it back. As all I wanted was a slightly larger grip, I bought an L-plate. Now a perfect fit in my hand.

L plate hmm which did you get.

Mind you the grip is so I can't take portrait easier with shutter buttons and controls on grip

L plate hmm which did you get.

Mind you the grip is so I can't take portrait easier with shutter buttons and controls on grip

I just bought a cheap unbranded one from Amazon to try. Figured if I liked it I'd order the RRS one, but there's nothing wrong with my cheap one so didn't bother :).

I use a tripod most of the time, so being able to switch the camera to portrait without re-framing is really useful to me.

Hi guys,

contemplating buying one of these cameras but have a few questions.

Is there a significant difference between the A7 and the A7ii besides the in-built stabiliser? Is the sensor in both of them identical?

Do any of you have both the A7 and Fuji X-T1, or have experience with both? How does the AF speed and accuracy compare between the two cameras?

Do any of you use the A7/A7ii with just one lens exclusively? If yes, which one? I was thinking of getting either the A7 or A7ii with a zoom/kit lens. Then one prime. Don't know which zoom/prime to get though.

Sony 55mm 1.8 or the FE 50mm 1.8?

Hi guys,

Is there a significant difference between the A7 and the A7ii besides the in-built stabiliser? Is the sensor in both of them identical?

Do any of you have both the A7 and Fuji X-T1, or have experience with both? How does the AF speed and accuracy compare between the two cameras?

Do any of you use the A7/A7ii with just one lens exclusively? If yes, which one? I was thinking of getting either the A7 or A7ii with a zoom/kit lens. Then one prime. Don't know which zoom/prime to get though.

The differences between the A7 and A7II are very minimal in terms of IQ but things like 5-axis IBIS will allow slower shutter speeds handheld.
They sensor is indeed identical.
The AF system is around 30/40% faster but I'm no so sure in the real world as I got on fine shooting fast moving subjects like plans and bikes etc. When I originally decided to buy the A7 I was directly comparing it to the XT-1, I wouldn't say that the AF on the XT1 was anything special but it was snappier, that would be expected at its only a crop sensor.
The Sony FF sensors have to move a lot more data around so things like FPS and AF speed may take a slight dip to deliver better IQ.
I picked the A7 as I wanted the best IQ possible, then using it for a Airshow and Tour de France etc I soon realised that the AF system in the Sony bodies is not as bad as some make out, it's about technique too.

I'd definitely try and go for the A7II, kit zoom lens 28-70mm and the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 funds permitting.
The IQ from the XT1 isn't poor but it just can't compare to full-frame goodness.

Hi guys,

Can't answer some of these, but can tell you the sensor in the A7 & A7ii is the same. Besides the IBIS, the size/weight and ergonomics are different which comes down to personal preference. Personally I preferred the mark 2 so that's what I bought.

If budget allows, the 55 f1.8 is absolutely fantastic.

Quick question for those of you that shoot weddings?

Off to my Bro's wedding in a few weeks and thought I'd take my camera with the 55 attached to get a few candids here and there (of course staying well out of the wedding togs way).

I've not shot a lot of people in general and was wondering about settings.

Was thinking manual, 1/250th, f1.8 and auto ISO as a ballpark. Is this about right or would you suggest different?

Have a listen to this guy,especially when comparing to the Xt-1!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucr8DIEMmEQ

I've watched the video, a lot of his comments don't make sense.
Is the XT-1's sensor really outputting sharper files with less noise taken at the same ISO?
How is that possible when Fuji have nothing which comes close to the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8?
Personally I think the reviewer is wrong on a lot of his points.
Best advice is to go and try both yourself.
I was recently considering a move to Fuji XT-2 but when you strip back all the specs, body design and GUI look/feel for raw IQ you can't compare a crop sensor to full-frame.

Quick question for those of you that shoot weddings?

Off to my Bro's wedding in a few weeks and thought I'd take my camera with the 55 attached to get a few candids here and there (of course staying well out of the wedding togs way).

I've not shot a lot of people in general and was wondering about settings.

Was thinking manual, 1/250th, f1.8 and auto ISO as a ballpark. Is this about right or would you suggest different?

Hi,
Don't stress too much.
Your settings seem ok but a lot depends on subject movement, lighting and how many subjects your taking photos of in the single frame.
Just go with the flow and adjust the settings on the fly, there is no real wrong or right setting.
:)

Have a listen to this guy,especially when comparing to the Xt-1!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucr8DIEMmEQ

I quite enjoyed that video - it's nice to watch something from a guy who is knowledgeable and says exactly what he believes :)

I'd like to know which Sony artisans have annoyed him - I could hazard a guess lol ;)

The XT-1 was the other camera I seriously considered, took me ages to decide between it and the A7ii.

For me, it came down to which camera I preferred using and for me I definitely made the right choice

I was in same boat. I've had them both and I chooses the a7ii reason being the files imo are better to work with and I could pull more out of them like I could on the d750. Plus the 55mm lens is a damn fine lens. I also like the ibis it was more effective imo

Ok the xt1 is still a nice camera tbh if I was just coming into photography the xt1 would of been fine as I would of had anything compare with.

Bear in mind iq isn't everything though. I've had an a7, a7r and x-t1 and only kept the Fuji. To me, the a7 was a jack of all trades, master of none whilst the a7r was a shutter shock nightmare (but excellent iq). Strongly suspect the a7r ii has improved a lot of my original complaints though and it looks like the system is maturing overall.

What Bag are people using for there A7 pls am looking for a nice stylish sling bag rather than a rucksack..

Like this shot the most from the ones posted - see you went for the 70-200 f4 - lovely lens :)

Can't help with a sling bag, I use a messenger and a backpack.

Thank you pal.. Comments are much appreciated.

Like I say not been anywhere yet was suppose be going to Chatsworth this weekend but the damn weather doesn't look too promising :(

Yup I got the Sony A7ii with the 28-70 Kit lens and the 70-200 F4. The 55mm 1.8 is next hopefully tmr or saturday.

A messenger is what i was looking for I didn't quite know the correct name guess it called shoulder bag?? Which one you got pls?

Like I say not been anywhere yet was suppose be going to Chatsworth this weekend but the damn weather doesn't look too promising :(

Yup I got the Sony A7ii with the 28-70 Kit lens and the 70-200 F4. The 55mm 1.8 is next hopefully tmr or saturday.

A messenger is what i was looking for I didn't quite know the correct name guess it called shoulder bag?? Which one you got pls?

ThinkTank Retro 7. Absolutely love it if not taking big tripod, flashes and filters, doesn't look like a camera bag :)

Even if the weathers bad surely Chatsworth would be a great place with the 55?

Hoping to get away myself this weekend. Stuck at home with E-coli poisoning at the moment. I don't recommend it :)

ThinkTank Retro 7. Absolutely love it if not taking big tripod, flashes and filters, doesn't look like a camera bag :)

Even if the weathers bad surely Chatsworth would be a great place with the 55?

Hoping to get away myself this weekend. Stuck at home with E-coli poisoning at the moment. I don't recommend it :)

Will the camera take the rain ???

Cracking set up there,doubt you will ever need to upgrade for quite sometime.........if ever with that set up?!

Ah lol not sure we going in house we normally go in at winter time

A quick Q.
Some of you would have noted I currently have a 6D with a 24-70mm f2.8 L with Canon.
Is the 24-70mm f4 Zeiss comparable or not really, would it need to be the 2.8GM? To achieve 'sinilar' results?

Ok folks, done some initial testing (indoors :( ) of the GM lenses and as expected they are a step above the Batis 85mm f1.8 and Sony 24-70mm f4 lenses.
Mind you, they should be given their pricing!!! Lol

A quick Q.
Some of you would have noted I currently have a 6D with a 24-70mm f2.8 L with Canon.
Is the 24-70mm f4 Zeiss comparable or not really, would it need to be the 2.8GM? To achieve 'sinilar' results?

I think if you wanting the same sharpness as the canon L glass you might have to get the GM version.. Saying that the Kit lens the Sony 28-70 is pretty good for it weight and price imo..

Does anyone know of any retailer selling the GM 85 for a decent price? I went into the Sony store in Bath today and the guy said he could order it in for £1305 before the price increase. But as I'm on holiday that's not much good to me......

A quick Q.
In terms of sharpness both the f2.8 and f4 Sony lens score higher mounted to an A7r/A7r-II when compared to the Canon 24-70 f2.8 l when mounted to the 6D according to DXO. However it's skewed as the Sony has more MP and lenses mounted on higher MP bodies tend to score higher.
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...ZA-OSS-on-Sony-A7R__165_836_1712_917_1253_917

To highlight this, mount the Canon lens on the 5dsr and it gives the same score as the f2.8 Sony
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...A-OSS-on-Sony-A7R__165_1009_1712_917_1253_917

So based on this, whichever lens you choose it should be equivalent or sharper than what you have. But of course sharpness doesn't tell us everything. What the micro contrast is like in comparison, what the bokeh is like etc we only really get an idea of this from seeing images.

And of course, going back to your original comparison, you're comparing an f2.8 lens with an f4 one so of course there are going to be even more differences in the way the images look when shooting wide open.

Thank you Rookies and Snerkler! Really appreciate that.

One final Q. I am considered a 2nd hand A7II but being mirrorless I was told you can't find out how many shots it's taken?
I'm a mirrorless noob. Is this true?
I feel investing £900 into the unknown seems silly?
Any advice?

Ok folks apart from the big price difference is there really much difference between the

Sony 50mm 1.8
Sony 55mm 1.8

As can get the 50mm for £210 new

One final Q. I am considered a 2nd hand A7II but being mirrorless I was told you can't find out how many shots it's taken?
Any advice?
The only way I'm aware of is to use this site
http://tools.science.si/index.php

Bit of a faff but worth checking imo if you're buying used.

Ok folks apart from the big price difference is there really much difference between the

Sony 50mm 1.8
Sony 55mm 1.8

As can get the 50mm for £210 new

Go for the 55mm f1.8,
The 50mm f1.8 is ok, it's Sony's nifty fifty but isn't as good as the 55.

Any advice?

No I'm pretty sure you can find the number of shots, even if its just based on the file numbering.

Does anyone know of any retailer selling the GM 85 for a decent price? I went into the Sony store in Bath today and the guy said he could order it in for £1305 before the price increase. But as I'm on holiday that's not much good to me......

£1305 sounds like a miss price or the a-mount version?
You'll have to hurry as all new stock is being shipped so it lands into dealers from Aug 2nd after the price increases.
If it is indeed £1305 I'd buy them all lol.

£1305 sounds like a miss price or the a-mount version?
You'll have to hurry as all new stock is being shipped so it lands into dealers from Aug 2nd after the price increases.
If it is indeed £1305 I'd buy them all lol.

Think I'll go the Panamoz route again for this, £1305 and no price increase on Monday

Back