The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Buffer is still crap on this new firmware I'm afraid. I was out shooting all weekend and it slowed down when I was taking a few burst of shots

I noticed the improvement so it's worth upgrading but your right, the buffer isn't great.... saying that, the files aren't exactly small.
Hopefully the A9 will address this issue ;)

I noticed the improvement so it's worth upgrading but your right, the buffer isn't great.... saying that, the files aren't exactly small.
Hopefully the A9 will address this issue ;)

I think the A9 will have a better buffering system, but will it be like comparing the Nikon D5 to the D810 overall?

Whats the difference between all the Sony Zeiss models (Plantar, Sonnar, Diagonstic, Touit, Vario, Batis, OSS, GM, T*)

What are all these abbreviations, I am completely out of my depth in Zeiss/Sony talk.

Whats the difference between all the Sony Zeiss models (Plantar, Sonnar, Diagonstic, Touit, Vario, Batis, OSS, GM, T*)

What are all these abbreviations, I am completely out of my depth in Zeiss/Sony talk.

Most are lens designs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Planar

Vario-Sonnar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Vario-Sonnar

Batis and Loxia are just names.

OSS = steadyshot.

T* is there lens coating.

GM, i think your confusing that with Sony G Master lenses.

Last edited:
What screen protector folks using. I had a Sony one on mine gad to take it off today as somehow some light dust got in between

What screen protector folks using. I had a Sony one on mine gad to take it off today as somehow some light dust got in between

I have the Sony screen protectors on mine and they are fine, they are also reusable if you peel them off gently.
I'm pretty sure you've asked this question before on this very same thread ;)

I did and went for Sony and what I've seen it crap how earth dirt got under it I don't know

I did and went for Sony and what I've seen it crap how earth dirt got under it I don't know

Dirt could only get under when applied incorrectly ;)
Anyways as mentioned, other screen protectors do a good job too, take your pick.

How are you getting on with your A7II the second time around?
What do you think to the FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS vs Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII?

Can't beat pressing them bubbles woof woof keeps you sane.....

ROokies you seem to have issues with dust and muck, do you need to clean more lol...

Rookies, did you have dust and muck issues with your Brickon B750? Lol

That's a very good price, be interesting to see how long it's stays.....

I've been told it's a misprice as I have just spoken to them to confirm.
Unfortunately Sony adopt very strict dealer margins limits and any dealers selling products below the set limits has to be authorised by Sony first.

Having said the above they have the FE 85mm f1.4 GM at a cheaper price too so perhaps they have somehow managed to reduce the prices, find it very strange seen as the prices have gone up and they are selling them cheaper than the original prices!

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/sony-85mm-f1-4-gm-sel85f14gm.html

Get them bought folks! Lol

Last edited:
I've been told it's a misprice as I have just spoken to them to confirm.
Unfortunately Sony adopt very strict dealer margins limits and any dealers selling products below the set limits has to be authorised by Sony first.

Having said the above they have the FE 85mm f1.4 GM at a cheaper price too so perhaps they have somehow managed to reduce the prices, find it very strange seen as the prices have gone up and they are selling them cheaper than the original prices!

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/sony-85mm-f1-4-gm-sel85f14gm.html

Get them bought folks! Lol
I already have a Canon 85mn f1. 2

Morning Allan, I have a Sony ECMCS3 lavalier that works really well. I usually use it plugged into a Zoom H1, but it's great plugged straight into camera as well. This is to record my voice, if I need to record a wider areas sound I use the H1 by itself. Here a link to the mic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058MJX4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video light wise, how small?

Just ordered a really small light that's been getting great reviews. Not sure how big an area it will illuminate yet, but can test tomorrow when it arrives if it helps.

The light is an Aputure AL-M9 which I ordered from eBay as they had it in stock for £50. It's available a lot cheaper though direct from China. Here's a link to it on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391156157457?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I wanted something really small for a project I'm working on that involves talking on camera in the dark. I saw a video where Jared Polin used this light to illuminate himself vlogging at it seemed to work great
Quick update my Sony mic arrived gave it a try seems a great mic for the money and discreet thank you for the heads up.

Have you tried your light yet? I think maybe it is a bit smaller than I might need for putting some illumination in a castle

Thanks again would not have found the mic:ty:

Have you tried your light yet? I think maybe it is a bit smaller than I might need for putting some illumination in a castle

Only very briefly, after ordering the seller emailed to say they were out of stock but expecting more in. It arrived about 10 minutes ago :)

I've had a quick play with it and I'm impressed so far, need to try in a larger area over the weekend.

Only very briefly, after ordering the seller emailed to say they were out of stock but expecting more in. It arrived about 10 minutes ago :)

I've had a quick play with it and I'm impressed so far, need to try in a larger area over the weekend.
Ah yep not much time for playing yet will be interesting hearing your view once you've had chance for trying it out

Ah yep not much time for playing yet will be interesting hearing your view once you've had chance for trying it out

Might try an old church or similar over the weekend - problem is, it's the busiest weekend of the year down here in Cornwall, getting anywhere is going to be hell :D

It is definitely brighter than I thought it would be. Even on it's lowest setting it's really bright - on max it's blinding (with diffuser fitted). Just need to see how the light spreads on a larger area.

My little bro is getting married next weekend and I thought I'd capture a little video here and there to make into a memento (quick 10 second messages etc). Just going to take my little action cam (Sony AZ1) and this tiny light which is more than sufficient to light a few people at once. Could fit them both in a shirt pocket :)

Capture 1 express for sony,anyone use it,?
I've DL the trial and quite impressed.

Yes I have tried it and really like the results but didn't really persevere as I have always used Lightroom for RAW processing and cataloguing. Keep meaning to give it another try since the results were pretty impressive.

Think I did ask before??

What flash people using pls

I have 2x Nissin Di700a flash units with the Air 1 commander, like the Godox supports TTL and HSS.
Also have 2x Nissin PS8's to power them.
Recently sold my Nissin i40 to make way for the i60a ;)

Been away for a week and here a few I took while I was away.. May not be to everyone taste but I am happy and impress with my kit.

DSC00593-Edit.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00623-Edit.jpg

DSC00633-Edit.jpg

DSC00643.jpg