The Streets of Durham

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I'm guessing this forum will do? Feel free to change it if you disagree.

This was taken in Durham, looking up towards the Cathedral. First shot like this I've tried (crouching down next to the road - live view is sometimes a real blessing!)

Durham Streets by AllFallD0wn, on Flickr

Quite a nice low angle here but I bet someone will suggest cloning out the drain :D

Could you clone out the drain ?

Seriously though, it's a great photograph and the drain does add foreground interest, I like it. Old Durham Town is a fantastic place and very photogenic.

Very nice tonal range and great depth of field. It works well for me.

Nick

Nice angle and composition with the road leading you up to the cathedral which can just be seen in the back ground. Works for me.
I know the place well, spent many hours pounding those streets when I was in the police force. (Many many years ago btw) Had my photo taken with American tourists countless times.

Last edited:
yep, works well for me too. I like the kerb on the right curving up into the picture, really draws the eye in. Personally I'd have waited for no people in it but thats just my personal preference and they do add some interest in middle of the image

yep, works well for me too. I like the kerb on the right curving up into the picture, really draws the eye in. Personally I'd have waited for no people in it but thats just my personal preference and they do add some interest in middle of the image

I was stood there for 5 minutes, and more and more people just kept coming, so I shot it with the fewest people in, especially as the nice(ish) light was about to disappear behind a massive cloud ;)

Thanks for the comments, though :)

it works well even with the drain ;)

AllFallD0wn said:
I was stood there for 5 minutes, and more and more people just kept coming, so I shot it with the fewest people in, especially as the nice(ish) light was about to disappear behind a massive cloud ;)

Thanks for the comments, though :)

Oh i'm sure it wasn't easy to get that few a number of people in the shot especially in the centre of a city, I was just saying if it were me i'd be annoyed that I couldn't get a shot without anyone there. But lke I said, I do think they add something to the middle of the shot. :-D

Quite a nice low angle here but I bet someone will suggest cloning out the drain :D

on the contrary...clone the people
the drain is ok and in keeping with the older feel of the area
my 2p of course
cheers
geof

I always think there's quite a high demographic of people on here who are too keen to break out the clone tool for little things. In this shot, it's a shot of a city. People are supposed to be there..As a photographer, I want to capture things that are around me, things that are there. Clone tool is for dust bunnies and minor niggles, not 5 people walking up a street..

Just my opinions, really, because I do get tired of the only crit I get being "clone the person there out" or "clone the road lines out", "clone this out" etc...

I always think there's quite a high demographic of people on here who are too keen to break out the clone tool for little things. In this shot, it's a shot of a city. People are supposed to be there..As a photographer, I want to capture things that are around me, things that are there. Clone tool is for dust bunnies and minor niggles, not 5 people walking up a street..

Just my opinions, really, because I do get tired of the only crit I get being "clone the person there out" or "clone the road lines out", "clone this out" etc...

c and c
crop and clone..its the way to go..:bat:

If anyone suggests cloning out the grate :bat:

Like it. The low angle makes the photograph stand out.

Works well in B&W as well.

For me, I'd rather no people were in the photograph to really emphasise the feeling of emptiness.

Cheers.

A really nice image,, hope you dont mind but I had a bit of a play with it..

6594865087_78127079c1_z_fhdr.jpg

But I do think this works too.. either way,, its a cracking photo,, nice work..

6594865087_78127079c1_bw.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I like the way you've emphasised the shadows and desaturated. I might look at tweaking that later on.

Back