The technical side of life [new backlit shot added]

Edit My Images
Yes
I promise I won't keep spamming TP with endless collision threads. Just one more... with some tips and measurements.

So, got these two tonight (colours altered in the second one... sorry :)) [click to enlarge]

So, basically, a common question I get is the drop rate and the height of the drops. Normally I guestimate... but today, I have values! Proper real values that those two pictures above were taken with.

Drop rate: 10-11 drops per second, to the best of my counting ability. It equates to filling a 10ml syringe in 12 seconds.

Height: 37cm... I was previously doing it at about 30cm, which works, but these particular collisions were at 37cm, from base water surface to tip of dropper.

The set up was as so:

rinseaid1.jpg

(trying out some home made snoots from reflective christmas paper tonight)

And the camera angle, to get the reflection in the first one (which is so hard with this tray: not long enough) was like this:

rinseaid2.jpg

The liquids were: water, with food dye in (I'm talking about half a bottle per litre), and 2-3 drops of rinse aid per 1-3 litres, and not more.

I hope that helps for those asking about it!

Last edited:
good skills pal. just one question.... how the hell do you move that bowl without water going all over the place? (with food dye in it!!)

really good of you to share... and don't worry about posting images... you're nowhere near saturation point yet (y)

good skills pal. just one question.... how the hell do you move that bowl without water going all over the place? (with food dye in it!!)

really good of you to share... and don't worry about posting images... you're nowhere near saturation point yet (y)

Haha... half empty it with a jug! If you don't fill it right to the top, you've got less space for reflections and the tops of spouts :(

Haha, wicked :cool:

Ash you forget the main ingredients................Patience, Patience, Patience, and yet more Patience :LOL: :LOL:

Allan

Ah yes! This is true. I don't claim to do two clicks and we're done... tonight, I took about 30+ "pre" shots. That's, shots without any droplets in, sorting lighting/angle.

Then took about 300 shots to get these :)

I don’t think you should ever apologise for these shot’s they give so many people inspiration.:love:

The shot’s of your setup give us all a clue and stop us from banging our heads against the wall when we can’t get the technique right.:bang:

Love number two it reminds me of the ride in my local playground when I was a small child many many years ago.:dummy:

Shot number four also helps more than you’ll ever know I was wondering about the camera placement and now that’s been answered. (y)

love these two shots mate, probably my top favourites I would say!

I don’t think you should ever apologise for these shot’s they give so many people inspiration.:love:

The shot’s of your setup give us all a clue and stop us from banging our heads against the wall when we can’t get the technique right.:bang:

Love number two it reminds me of the ride in my local playground when I was a small child many many years ago.:dummy:

Shot number four also helps more than you’ll ever know I was wondering about the camera placement and now that’s been answered. (y)

Glad it was helpful! (y)

love these two shots mate, probably my top favourites I would say!

Thank you Robbo!

Tried out backlighting today... what a difference! :D (click to enlarge)

Set up shot (as it's now changed)

backlit.jpg

that is fantastic mate!

lovely bronze/silver feel to it!

I'm just going to say WOW

Backlighting works well!!

10/11 drops a second sounds alot!!!

As always ash amazing results! top of the field by miles!

some wicked shots there Ash! I need to go and get some rinse aid I think!

Been manic with work unfortunately, tidied my desk off earlier so some more may be imminent

Absolutely love these!! Waiting to get an external flash and I'll be having a crack. Thanks for the pointers so far!

Great stuff mate! Thanks for taking the time to explain the set up etc.

Just totally stunning work Ash, how many shots are you firing off to get shots like these?
These are all the more incredible when you consider you are shooting with the kit lens too I believe. :clap :clap:

Back lighting is quite nice and different.

Allan

Tis, thanks :)

the backlit one is superb mate, just gorgeous stuff!

Thank you!

Absolutely love these!! Waiting to get an external flash and I'll be having a crack. Thanks for the pointers so far!

Ta! I'll look out for photos ;)

Great stuff mate! Thanks for taking the time to explain the set up etc.

No worries Steve :) I am looking out for stuff by you :p

Just totally stunning work Ash, how many shots are you firing off to get shots like these?
These are all the more incredible when you consider you are shooting with the kit lens too I believe. :clap :clap:

Thanks Alby! Yep, kit lens indeed. I'd love a macro but just can't afford it :(

That shot, if you include about 40 shots purely setting up the lighting, and then about 100 or so with blue diffuser before I changed my mind, was about 300 shots. So perhaps 150 for that one. I got a couple of others, but that was my favourite and the one I put up for showing off, haha.

Outstanding shots! Inspired me to give it a go now!

Thanks, and bril! That's what I like to hear! (y)

Absolutely awesome, how about writting a how to guide in the tutorial section so that we can all have a go, you know a complete idiots guide (that's what I need as I am an idiot ;))

Absolutely awesome, how about writting a how to guide in the tutorial section so that we can all have a go, you know a complete idiots guide (that's what I need as I am an idiot ;))

Oh yeh? I could do... I never really look in there, I shall pop over and have a look :D Ty!

Fascinating reading this thread (y)

and superb shots Ash, brilliant work!

One day....:)

I promise I won't keep spamming TP with endless collision threads. Just one more... with some tips and measurements.

So, got these two tonight (colours altered in the second one... sorry :)) [click to enlarge]

If, as it looks, you are not using a trigger gate then these are possibly the best ever water drops I've seen - and I've seen many including Martin Waughs who is considered as being the "master"

So, basically, a common question I get is the drop rate and the height of the drops. Normally I guestimate... but today, I have values! Proper real values that those two pictures above were taken with.

Drop rate: 10-11 drops per second, to the best of my counting ability. It equates to filling a 10ml syringe in 12 seconds.

Height: 37cm... I was previously doing it at about 30cm, which works, but these particular collisions were at 37cm, from base water surface to tip of dropper.

The set up was as so:

rinseaid1.jpg

(trying out some home made snoots from reflective christmas paper tonight)

And the camera angle, to get the reflection in the first one (which is so hard with this tray: not long enough) was like this:

rinseaid2.jpg

The liquids were: water, with food dye in (I'm talking about half a bottle per litre), and 2-3 drops of rinse aid per 1-3 litres, and not more.

I hope that helps for those asking about it!

If, as it looks, you are not using a trigger gate then these are possibly the very best water drops on the internet by far. I think I have seen hundreds including those by Martin Waugh who many consider to be the "master". Absolutely brilliant!!

Fascinating reading this thread (y)

and superb shots Ash, brilliant work!

One day....:)

Thanks!

Thank you :)

If, as it looks, you are not using a trigger gate then these are possibly the very best water drops on the internet by far. I think I have seen hundreds including those by Martin Waugh who many consider to be the "master". Absolutely brilliant!!

I am not, nope. I do have a HiViz timer, but it needs soldering and currently doesn't work too well, lol. Thank you so much! :D

Martin Waugh is like a god :LOL:

Absolutely bloomin' fantastic! The backlighting takes it to a new level IMO.
(y)

woooah, the Back lighting really adds something doesn't it!! all brilliant once more Ash, you dare stop doing these and ditto with posting them, I make regular check ins in this section to see if you've posted any more!!

Vi x

Absolutely bloomin' fantastic! The backlighting takes it to a new level IMO.
(y)

Thanks! :D

awesome shots!!!!!!!!

tyty!

woooah, the Back lighting really adds something doesn't it!! all brilliant once more Ash, you dare stop doing these and ditto with posting them, I make regular check ins in this section to see if you've posted any more!!

Vi x

Hahaha! Ok, I'll keep posting every now and then :p Thank you Violet :love:

Quite inspirational! I need to give this a try :)

Superb shots especially that backlit one!

Back