The thieving Magpie

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I had a pair of Dunnocks visiting my feeders and helping themsleves to my seed selection, so I replaced one feeder with mealworms to five them a helping hand ... the Dunnocks ignored them and went to the other feeder for the seed. The mealworms remained untouched unti a day or so ago when they suddenly started disappearing at a rapid rate. In time I spotted a Magpie perching next to the mealworm feeder and stuffing itself, so I moved it away from any perching spots ... it didn't deter it!

The Thieving Magpie
by Roger, on Flickr

The thieving Magpie
by Roger, on Flickr

Butter wouldn't melt
by Roger, on Flickr

Magpie in flight to the feeder
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
nicely caught Roger :)
- they also dig up my lawn at this time of year in search of Chafer grubs; not my favourite bird!

Russ
Thanks Russ, my lawn (if you can call it that!) is now getting very brown and is rock solid!

Nice looking and clever bird , if not the most liked . It`s a feeder photo that works well for a change . (y)

Nice looking and clever bird , if not the most liked . It`s a feeder photo that works well for a change . (y)

Thanks, my options are a bit limited ATM ... missing my reserves :(

I have a bunch of starlings that demolish the mealworms in short order.
Hardly ever see a Starling but yesterday a youngster landed virtually beside me, on the feeder branches, and a frantic adult was trying to tell it to leave quickly :LOL:
They eventually moved to a neighbour's tree and I noticed there were about 1/2 dozen youngsters in total ... hreat to see.
Your not alone , I am in the shielded gang and still under house arrest , keep ya chin up Gramps . ;)
(y)

I have Magpies coming for the mealworms I put out in my yard, they also dig up the moss I let grow everywhere. When they first started coming they used to chatter a lot, now they come in like stealth ninjas - I think they must have lookouts on various chimney pots because no sooner do I put them out they arrive.... The Jackdaws are the same, except they haven't learnt to be quiet ... yet...

I have Magpies coming for the mealworms I put out in my yard, they also dig up the moss I let grow everywhere. When they first started coming they used to chatter a lot, now they come in like stealth ninjas - I think they must have lookouts on various chimney pots because no sooner do I put them out they arrive.... The Jackdaws are the same, except they haven't learnt to be quiet ... yet...

It's Magpies and Pigeons here ... well apart from the Lesser Black-backed Gull that pops down for the fox food! :bat:

Great set there,Roger. These corvids are so resourceful.
Certainly are John, this evening he saw me put out some pate for the Fox and he was down in a flash ... mind you it was liver & GARLIC so I don't know what he made of it! :LOL:

Back