Critique The Three Sisters, Glencoe

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I am my own worst critic with my images and I've been staring at this for a while, wondering if it's any good! I took it after a long day on the mountains after climbing the Aonach Eagach ridge. I was walking back to the car when I saw the sun setting behind me, casting a lovely orange glow through the valley. Unfortunately, I didn't make it back to my car in time to get my tripod, so I had to take this image handheld, so it's not as sharp as I would've liked. I also cropped a little off the left, but it removed a lot of the foreground which I felt added good depth to the image, so I've went back to the standard crop.

It's a nice scene but several things strike me that would limit it:
  • As you say it is on the soft side, obviously would have benefited from the tripod.
  • There is a strong halo along the ridge ... an over-zealous attempt to sharpen?
  • The setting sun has really blown the image at the right edge.
If it's close to you I would guess there's an opportunity to get better circumstances, if not it's a good record of the end of your day.
All just my personal view of course :)

It's a nice scene but several things strike me that would limit it:
  • As you say it is on the soft side, obviously would have benefited from the tripod.
  • There is a strong halo along the ridge ... an over-zealous attempt to sharpen?
  • The setting sun has really blown the image at the right edge.
If it's close to you I would guess there's an opportunity to get better circumstances, if not it's a good record of the end of your day.
All just my personal view of course :)

Thanks for the comment Gramps. I didn't even notice the halo until you mentioned it and now I can't stop looking at it! (hehe). I don't know what's caused it, it isn't over sharpened at all - I even disabled all sharpening etc in lightroom and it's still there. You're right about the sun. Although I haven't clipped any highlights (according to the histogram), I have lost all of the detail in the bottom right due to the sun setting. I didn't have any filters on me at the time either.

I knew I wasn't going to get anything great without my filters and my tripod, but it was worth a shot. Looks like I'll need to plan another trip :)

Back