Critique The Torren Lochan

#2 is the pick form me Steve, I think it is the simplicity of it that appeals. As always, lovely tones and the processing is beautifully done too.

Classic stuff Steve - I knew these were yours as soon as I saw the thumb nail on the front page. Nice colours, good composition and water like a mirror - what's not to like.

Just lovely reflections, I'd give an arm to be able to get there at the moment. May try this weekend.

Number one is beautiful, gorgeous scene and well composed. The second doesn't work for me, I think you could have done with a prominent tree on the shoreline to anchor the composition around. Are there any photogenic foreground rocks? If so they (or it) might just help

Number one is beautiful, gorgeous scene and well composed. The second doesn't work for me, I think you could have done with a prominent tree on the shoreline to anchor the composition around. Are there any photogenic foreground rocks? If so they (or it) might just help

No stand out prominent trees and no rocks - there were some stray water grasses but I avoided them as they cut the reflections rather than filled dead space.

Needless to say I am happy with both but I can see why you have said what you have said re 2.

I love the first one but as said above the second one doesn’t lead my eye in........ the first one does..... I can’t explain why though

Both perfection, I love the feeling of tranquility in a photo. The crystal reflections just give you double the scene too enjoy.

Both perfection, I love the feeling of tranquility in a photo. The crystal reflections just give you double the scene too enjoy.

So do I. I don’t think these would work at all well if it wasn’t still. They were so enjoyable to take, such a calm and peaceful evening :)

It’s been the most amazing summer. It’s breaking down now but what a good run.

Like em mate, great colours. Nice work.

Only crit I can give it perhaps there isn't enough shadow. The shadow area is a little too bright.

Last edited:
Like em mate, great colours. Nice work.

Only crit I can give it perhaps there isn't enough shadow. The shadow area is a little too bright.

LOL - my work on the first is they were a bit dark. The 2nd was quite a low contrast scene with the only sunlight hitting the tops but was worried they were a bit dark - particularly in the corners despite reversing some of the vingetting the little Nikkor 20 has.

Usually quality stuff and classic SFTPhotography images,

Personally I see plenty of lead in lines in no2, and whilst there's nothing prominent, its not always needed. Sometimes it can detract from the main element, which are the mountains and reflection which for me, is plenty of subject without needing more.

A lovely view, light and reflections. The time you got all the daises was the best shot of yours I've seen from here!

Back