the Tourist Snaps of Rome

Edit My Images
Yes
First of all a big thank you to Marcel for the new sub-forum. I know the demand is there for an Architecture section so lets fill it up.

I'll get things going with a few 'tourist' shots of Rome shortly followed by some Piano and Hadid from Rome also.

Any critique welcomed.

St Peter's Basilica Abstract

St Peter's Basilica by Architecture Charlatan, on Flickr

Museo dei Fori Imperiali - Roma

Museo dei Fori Imperiali - Roma by Architecture Charlatan, on Flickr

Pantheon Abstract

Pantheon Abstract by Architecture Charlatan, on Flickr

Colosseum, the not so typical shot

Colosseum, the not so typical shot by Architecture Charlatan, on Flickr

Please feel free to offer any input, advice or criticism.

Ryan.

Shame about the figure in the second one, but the light is great.

Pantheon's a good take on a classic shot and the last one's a nice idea that works.

Shame about the figure in the second one, but the light is great.

Pantheon's a good take on a classic shot and the last one's a nice idea that works.

I asked her in my broken Italian if she could move for two seconds but she was having none of it and continued to stretch/scratch and otherwise be a pain in my ass in the way of the shot.

Thats what I tried to do with the Pantheon/Colosseum. You endlessly see the same shots so I tried to do something a bit different. They dont like it when you lie on the floor in the Pantheon though... :LOL:

It looks to me like you have brightened #1 up too much as there appears to be hardly any prominent shadows, also there is a lot of zig-zag banding of the sky. In #2 I think a touch more emphasise on the sculpture at the end of the shot would have gave this one a better feel, plus you could have lost the girl as well. I think #3 has a bit more potential, is that bright shape on the righ being cast down by something up in the roof light :shrug: If so then imo the image again needs to be darkened down abit and then with the polygon lassoo tool select the cone of light which is being cast and brighten it up a touch more. Only my thought though, the last one does not really do much for me I am afraid.

It looks to me like you have brightened #1 up too much as there appears to be hardly any prominent shadows, also there is a lot of zig-zag banding of the sky. In #2 I think a touch more emphasise on the sculpture at the end of the shot would have gave this one a better feel, plus you could have lost the girl as well. I think #3 has a bit more potential, is that bright shape on the righ being cast down by something up in the roof light :shrug: If so then imo the image again needs to be darkened down abit and then with the polygon lassoo tool select the cone of light which is being cast and brighten it up a touch more. Only my thought though, the last one does not really do much for me I am afraid.

Thanks Rich, Thats the sort of comment that really helps.

The first has had little done to it and it was that bright and sunny (August, Italy, midday), but I think you are right, there is not much in the way of shadow. I don't however see any banding at all in the sky, its a pure blue and I cant see anything on my screen.

The second, the point about the statue is very valid. I guess it is lost a little in the shot. I may have a go at photoshopping the woman out when I get time as she is bugging me as much now as when I took the shot.

In image three, its the Pantheon in Rome. It has a oculus (a big hole in the roof) measuring over 8m in diameter so the shape on the right is the light being cast on the wall. I think I will give emphasising the light beam a go though as it would make the shot more legible.

Thank you for the comments, they are most welcome.

Ryan.

I asked her in my broken Italian if she could move for two seconds but she was having none of it and continued to stretch/scratch and otherwise be a pain in my ass in the way of the shot....

It looks like she was just sitting on a bench minding her own business to me. I'd probably be a bit put out if I was sitting on a bench and someone asked me to shift.

Back