Notice The TP 52 Challenge for 2021 chat / discussion thread Week 52 Showcase

Seem to be a few people submitting pictures to the 'images only' thread without any links to their own thread, only a Flickr link. Not a problem but no one can comment without the link -- of course that may be the point :)
Ahhh. One thread per pic or thread for tp 52 feedback ...?
now that makes sense...
Let me add a thread...

Ahhh. One thread per pic or thread for tp 52 feedback ...?
now that makes sense...
Let me add a thread...
Hi.
You need to create a thread for your 52 photos. You then post the photos in there as well as the main thread, linking back to your personal thread.
This enables you to give further info on your shot, and allows others to provide feedback.

The how-to info is in the how-to guides which are stickies in the sub forum.
I would link them, but I'm on my phone and it's not that easy. You should be able to find them easily enough though.

Got up early this morning to grab some shots of the garden with the stunning frost (some of which I am very pleased with) and now I have just realised it THURSDAY... I am on rest days and the anticipation of 1/52 is killing me can’t wait for Cobra to make the announcement..

Here's the how to:

Notice - The TP 52 Challenge for 2021 How to, guides and links | Talk Photography

This is how I do it.

Narrow down my shots to about 3 or 4 for the week.

Upload those to Flickr and copy the BB code from there. (This can be useful as it allows people to view the picture much larger.)

Create a new thread for my images (imaginatively titled "Kell's 2021 TP52 - week 0 NEARBY")

Post the images into my own thread from Flickr (Accepted max size is 'Large'.).

If I have several pics, I sometimes provide a reason for why I was umming and ahhing. (You don't have to do this, you can submit just one each week and provide no explanation.)

Select my favourite shot to post into the main thread labelling this with the week number and theme and whether or not you've included a tecnhique.

Provide a link back to my own thread - by copying the URL of the post number so it goes straight to the actual post, not the start of the thread. This is where other people will comment/offer advice etc - not on the main thread.

Each time you post a new submission to your own thread, you should edit the title so that it includes the week number, the theme and if you've included the technique add that too. It helps the admins keep track of who's submitted what for each week.

So next week I might change it to: Kell's 2021 TP52 - week 1 ARCHES (technique - FILL THE FRAME) - depends what gets drawn out of Cobra's hat.

Sit back and wait for all the marvelous comments to roll in. ;)

What I didn't do too much of last year and have made a mental note of this year - is commenting on other people's submissions. If you like it, say so and why. If you don't also suggest what you might have done differently. HTH - if you need any pointers on linking to eithe flickr or your own thread just shout.

Last edited:
What I didn't do too much of last year and have made a mental note of this year - is commenting on other people's submissions. If you like it, say so and why. If you don't also suggest what you might have done differently.

I know it's still only week zero, but I haven't seen much 'crit' so far, just niceties. Is this a sign of the times?

I know it's still only week zero, but I haven't seen much 'crit' so far, just niceties. Is this a sign of the times?

Seems to be so yes. Personally I don't post here for critique - but am quite willing to hear what people think :)

Then again "just niceties" are better than the lazy like button!

Last edited:
@Cobra - I posted the first submission. Would you mind checking that I've followed the rules etc.... ?

I also saw there are techniques... these are to be used when drawn, right?
Yes the techniques will be drawn on the 1st Thursday every 2 months.
And as above youneed to start your personal thread here

Its the way its evolved David.
And pretty much as your name sake posted.
Seems to be so yes. Personally I don't post here for critique - but am quite willing to hear what people think :)

Then again "just niceties" are better than the lazy like button!

And we are off...
Week 01.

Just a reminder all round.
As most of the country is in tier 4 lock down, I'll try and keep the themes as lock down friendly as possible.
But its not going to be easy without 1000 pictures of pets everywhere :D

With that in mind don't forget that re-editing an ( any) Archive image to fit the theme is perfectly acceptable.

The next 2 months ( Jan & Feb) Technique is Filling the frame.
One image in the next 2 months should ideally fulfill that criteria.
Its an easy one to start with and self explanatory.

And the theme for 01?
I'm sure We all have some Fruit around, be that bought or wild caught ..
Happy snapping (y)

And we are off...
Week 01.

Just a reminder all round.
As most of the country is in tier 4 lock down, I'll try and keep the themes as lock down friendly as possible.
But its not going to be easy without 1000 pictures of pets everywhere :D

With that in mind don't forget that re-editing an ( any) Archive image to fit the theme is perfectly acceptable.

The next 2 months ( Jan & Feb) Technique is Filling the frame.
One image in the next 2 months should ideally fulfill that criteria.
Its an easy one to start with and self explanatory.

And the theme for 01?
I'm sure We all have some Fruit around, be that bought or wild caught ..
Happy snapping (y)

Love it.

It was the first year I did it last year and most of the feedback from people was positive in most threads. I think when it's as difficult as it is to complete a 52, people should be encouraged as much as possible.

It's actually a skill to be able to provide constructive criticism - it's also a skill to be able to receive it.

I often don't provide criticism because I think "Who am I to judge?"

Well somebody must have brought it in to you, descend upon them with torches and pitchforks. At least that would be my sentiment after so long without any cases.

It is the sentiment of many here :D I wrote more in my own thread, but the border has remained closed to all but returning residents and key workers (like doctors) with a few allowed in on compassionate grounds. 14-day isolation was a requirement throughout for all arrivals, after which they could go into the community if they did not develop symptoms, but this current outbreak has been traced back to someone who isolated correctly but seems to have developed symptoms a couple of days past the 14-day point, by which time they had visited a number of eateries and busy bars around Christmas and New Year.

I wish we could have closed our borders to passengers on the Isle of Wight [emoji16] We have gone from being one of the lowest to one of the highest ☹ over 800 cases per 100k the other day.

Hopefully your circuit breaker will do the trick and the 52 will keep your mind off it [emoji4]

Thanks Bee. The UK numbers are quite terrifying and we have counted ourselves very lucky indeed for the last six months. The island seemed to have a lid on it but we have gone from zero cases to double figures already this week. The 14-day self-isolation seemed to be working well but with the benefit of hindsight this would have been prevented if people had to take a test finishing their isolation.

I'm expecting the numbers to rise for at least another week as there has been no requirement for social distancing and face-covering since last summer, and the pubs and clubs were heaving on NYE :(

:LOL: Fair point Stan...
I must try a "gob shot" theme sometime :D

Maybe not Chris. Don't forget he got Suzie.
MsVA842.gif

14-day isolation was a requirement throughout for all arrivals, after which they could go into the community i
And I remember a certain chap with a jet ski that spent his isolation in jail :D
And yes it did make the news over here

It's actually a skill to be able to provide constructive criticism - it's also a skill to be able to receive it.

I think you're right on both counts regarding giving and receiving constructive criticism, Kell, and when I first started a 52 I didn't feel confident about offering critique or advice, I've been in a photographic club for the last five years so I have become accustomed to having my images assessed and judged and I have learned to receive and absorb the comments without necessarily agreeing with all of them :)

If anyone wants to give any of my 52 images some genuine critique then please do, and I would be happy to try to reciprocate if indicated, although I am by no means a judge or expert!

I don't offer 'critique' here as I don't feel that is the purpose of this challenge and I would hate to get it wrong and discourage anyone, but I do try to offer advice or ask questions if I think it might be more helpful than a "nice shot!". The main thing is that the 52 provides a friendly environment to take part in a weekly challenge and interact with other photographers, which is especially welcome at the moment.

And I remember a certain chap with a jet ski that spent his isolation in jail :D
And yes it did make the news over here

I know! It seemed to be all over the news for days! Apparently he reckoned it would take about half an hour, but instead he was faced with six foot waves and
down to his last ten minutes of fuel by the time he arrived, having taken over four hours! He was lucky to get here alive :asshat:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-55280466

He was jailed for breaking the local Covid-19 laws but was released after a week so he could return to Scotland in time for Christmas.

The main thing is that the 52 provides a friendly environment to take part in a weekly challenge and interact with other photographers, which is especially welcome at the moment.
Exactly my thoughts.

In the past people have left through what they saw as harsh critique, and conversely some have left because there really wasn't enough critique
or people getting up set at the critique given.

I'm sure we have found the middle ground now TBH.

but instead he was faced with six foot waves and
down to his last ten minutes of fuel by the time he arrived, having taken over four hours!
Epic fail Eh?
He was lucky to get here alive :asshat:
Very much so the twatt!

but was released after a week so he could return to Scotland in time for Christmas.
Ah OK last I heard it was 2 weeks at her majesty's pleasure.
Time off for good behaviour perhaps?
Or "you" were just glad to get shot of him ;)

It was the first year I did it last year and most of the feedback from people was positive in most threads. I think when it's as difficult as it is to complete a 52, people should be encouraged as much as possible.

Feedback or opinion are a better term than criticism or even critique.
I'm happy to have anyone give an opinion/feedback on the photos I submit. As long as it's their honest opinion, then that's fine.

Feedback or opinion are a better term than criticism or even critique.
I'm happy to have anyone give an opinion/feedback on the photos I submit. As long as it's their honest opinion, then that's fine.
Actually that's a good point. (y)

@Cobra - I posted the first submission. Would you mind checking that I've followed the rules etc.... ?

I also saw there are techniques... these are to be used when drawn, right?

The Techniques can be used anytime within the 6 weeks. At least once.

Oh well, the 52s was about critical acclaim, never got nasty, and we had bags of fun.

Oh well, the 52s was about critical acclaim, never got nasty, and we had bags of fun.
Well I try to David. Not every time and maybe not all that well, but I give it a go.
I'm more than happy for critique on my shots too (that's how you learn).

I do think last year we fell into a less robust critiquing phase, probably due to Covid and not being able to get out much (which will still be an issue this year). but I would love to have more critique back.
Kudo to @Harlequin565 as I've noted he has the right spirit wrt critique :)

I think it takes time to give feedback or respond to it. To actually think about what you want to say about an image. And to do that for 20-30 images a week, every week, for a year... Is probably too much.

Also, making "amazing photos" once a week, to a theme, every week, for a year, is also probably asking too much. One ends up putting images up that "fit the bill" and knows themselves that it's a bit rubbish but hey ho, there's always next week. That's how I felt in previous attempts.

I'm going to try and give reasoned feedback to as many as I can, but it won't be all of them (at least until the herd thins a little!). Giving feedback helps my photography too because it helps me learn how to look at an image. How to decide what I like, and ultimately helps me with composition when I'm taking pics.

Also, making "amazing photos" once a week, to a theme, every week, for a year, is also probably asking too much. One ends up putting images up that "fit the bill" and knows themselves that it's a bit rubbish but hey ho, there's always next week. That's how I felt in previous attempts.
Guilty as charged. Often posted with the comment PABD (post and be damned) :)

Let's face it, there are certain photos submitted, maybe not the best of the bunch, maybe not be the worst of the bunch, but warrant comment. And the poster should feel honoured (haha). It may be an especially good interpretation of the theme, a photo technique you've never tried or something that leads your thoughts astray. o_O

It happened to me here today, and I couldn't have wished for a better response. :D

Last edited:
I think it takes time to give feedback or respond to it. To actually think about what you want to say about an image. And to do that for 20-30 images a week, every week, for a year... Is probably too much.

I'm going to try and give reasoned feedback to as many as I can, but it won't be all of them (at least until the herd thins a little!). Giving feedback helps my photography too because it helps me learn how to look at an image. How to decide what I like, and ultimately helps me with composition when I'm taking pics.

Great points, Ian, and I meant to make that final point too but forgot; my concentration is all over the place at the moment! I think we can all learn from studying images and I too find it helpful to really look at an image and think about my feedback.

I also wholeheartedly agree with your second point and I have fallen behind in previous years because of trying to get the 'perfect' image. I'm not sure of the solution but will try to find a balance that works for me, which may be the odd 'PABD' rather than falling behind and dropping out again.

If truth be known in all the years I've done the 52 there was only 1 shot that I was 100% over the moon with, and for that shot I'd been watching how a singer would move and stand. Took me a few weeks to just learn how he'd move, then the day came as I went to the music hall and with Fuji best lens the 90mm f2 I took a shot of Sam. It was also my showcase shot a while back.

I’m glad you’ve reminded us what PABD stands for @LC2 [emoji16]

I agree @Harlequin565, it is a tall order to get theme photos to order every week that are worthy of sharing. Often I can see all sorts of things wrong with my own images before I post them, but I will probably have learnt something in attempting them. The 52 is a great opportunity to try out different genres and techniques.

I agree with most that has already been said about critique/feedback. I am probably my worst critic so would never be offended by useful comment. I would love to produce a weekly "stunner" but am well aware that it ain't never gonna happen so I post quite a few passable and the occasionall cringe worthy :eek:. I do try and make comments on most submissions every week but have to say in the past year it has tended to the middle of the road - it was difficult for most of us to get out and about plus pretty challenging all round so in my view any submission should be appreciated. Perhaps I should climb off the fence and be more useful this year?

Back