Notice The TP 52 Challenge for 2021 chat / discussion thread Week 52 Showcase

New FEEEEEEM and techy!!!

Having just looked at the date properly, there is still a full week left in April ...
Next week however will be the borderline one ...

I like the constraints - it gives you something to aim for...
And I like the power that it brings with it

( just kidding of course :D )

Having just looked at the date properly, there is still a full week left in April ...
Next week however will be the borderline one ...

My bad - spreadsheet says 2 weeks left! Too much of an Eager Beaver me haha! I may even get another low key one in :)

Oh I’m glad about that because I haven’t done anything for this week yet and I wanted a low key, if not I’ll just do a quick choice and hopefully get my low key in next week.

I always get stuck on Snappers Choice too ...it makes my brain hurt thinking about it!

Last edited:
week 16 ..
Restrictions have been eased, its a nice day here
I'm going Out and About in a few mins.

Last edited:
So I had an idea...

I know at least a couple of people have made Blurb books of their 52s, but I wondered if there was any interest in doing a zine?

A zine is a small, self published, low cost booklet (from magazine or fanzine). I've had a couple of zine exchange threads going for a while now (see my sig for the latest) and they're very different to "books". Here is my thought...

Each person taking part designs a double page spread of their work in whatever fashion they want. 1 image across both pages, a collage of all their images, a select few - no rules other than you can't have more than a double page. I'd suggest A5 portrait as a size as this is what all my other zines are and selfishly that would fit in my wall mounted rack. But we could go square or A5 landscape... I can write some Photoshop tutorials for this, but if people can even physically sketch out how they want their spread to look then take a photo of it with their phone, I can probably build it in Publisher (if it's kept simple!)

1 volunteer then collates all the double page spreads into a single zine. A quick glance at the numbers is around 20-30 people complete the 52, so if half decide to take part, that's 10-15 pages. That same volunteer (or anyone else taking part with the skills) could also help those without design software to do their spreads.

@Cobra writes an introduction/foreword, @LC2 writes an afterword with some stats from all his spreadsheets :)

The volunteer orders x copies and posts them out to those taking part.

That's the bare bones of the idea.

The things is, I get a lot of inspiration from the photography of those taking part in these challenges, and being able to look at their work (and not just my own!) is really useful to look back on. I think it would be good curation practise (to cull down all your images to a select few) as well as good design practise (you have to present a subset of your work in a limited way) as well as motivating me to take better pictures because they're going to do something other than rot on the internet.

I was thinking of making a book, but making a book is time consuming and ultimately, quite expensive. Zines are cheaper. For example, 20 copies of a zine with 20 people's work in it would cost about £40. If you add postage and envelope cost on top, that would equate to no more than £3-£4 per person per zine. The volunteer would make the order, buy the envelopes, cost out the postage and divide it all by the number of people taking part. No profiteering and everyone pays an equal amount.

I'd also suggest closing the submissions mid-November so that it can be designed, printed and posted out before the end of the year (and before all interest gets lost)

I'm happy to volunteer to co-ordinate/organise but it would require a good number of 52'ers to take part to make it worthwhile.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I know at least a couple of people have made Blurb books of their 52s, but I wondered if there was any interest in doing a zine?
I'll give your suggestion some thought Ian,
but my intial thought is most people struggle to do the 52 without having to think about extra's.
I'll wait for more in put...

Well, despite my best endeavours, I seem to have failed miserably to keep up. Sorry all. If Mr Snakey is in a good mood, I'd like to stay in.

There maybe an element of quarterly catch ups if I can focus on hobbies occasionally. Helping the in-laws move and trying to commission multiple comms systems on two new underground stations is keeping me somewhat busy!

Well, despite my best endeavours, I seem to have failed miserably to keep up. Sorry all. If Mr Snakey is in a good mood, I'd like to stay in.
No worries Lee. Catch up as and when,
or ignore what's gone before and start again, from this or next weeks theme.

Oh, and in case anyone missed today's announcement (y)

Just a quick note. I've not had chance to catch up with the thread yet....

However, I'd like to announce that discussions have been successful and TP will be continuing as is, with someone new at the helm.
More details soon, but I want to reassure you all that TP is not going anywhere and will stay as it is...infact you might not even notice the switch :p

week 16 ..
Restrictions have been eased, its a nice day here
I'm going Out and About in a few mins.

That'll do nicely - in fact I have a photo shoot fr work at a local lake at 6:30 so it could be job done :)

Here we go again with the Pre-theme day excitement :banana: :clap: :banana:

You've been here since 2007?!
Indeed I have I'm part of the furniture :D
I think I joined at member 1800 and something.
but that's no longer visible now.

Do you hold the record?
Yeah I believe I do I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing TBH :D

Week 17 ( and almost 1/3 of the way through)

We are on the cusp of a new theme month(s)
from the sacred scrolls I can see a couple of people have not done their last tech. (Low Key)
Or maybe its not been recorded?

As the months are not quite out, its only fair to allow anyone that needs it, One more week to complete Low key.

For those of you itching to get started on the new one, for the next 2 months its
Negative space
And the description is HERE for those that need it.

As for the theme, drum roll please ..
Shapes

Last edited:
Week 17 ( and almost 1/3 of the way through)

from the sacred scrolls I can see a couple of people have not done their last tech. (Low Key)

As the months are not quite out, its only fair to allow anyone that needs it, One more week to complete Low key.

For those of you itching to get started on the new one
Its Negative space
And the description is HERE for those that need it.

As for the theme, drum roll please ..
Shapes

Very nice theme if I say so my self, and also very open.
Not a bad Tech either :cool:

Very nice theme if I say so my self, and also very open.
Not a bad Tech either :cool:
See how kind I am to everyone?
(y)

But I'm sure I'll still get complaints, if not, then I'm losing my touch :D

That's a nice pairing of technique and theme.

Pretty sure I did it...
Still got week 16 to process, been lazy. Will do it tonight.

Nice description in the link for negative space.. will consider it along with shapes... hmmmm

I'm happy with both the theme and tech for a change. See if i can get this weeks in this week for a change.

Back