The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

Heather at some time we all felt this way, my first year I was scared stiff to do feedback as I thought the person would take it the wrong way. It does get easier in time, so any help needed then just ask (y)

Thanks Dave70D, really appreciate it. ;)

When will they say something funny? :D

That is very much the question Clive!!:ROFLMAO:

I don't like to use the word 'never' (even though I just did right there), but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say....it's unlikely!:LOL:

On a more serious note for the new comers Yes Gareth and I are mad but have great fun as you have to have fun and banter. On a great note you will all get better and how to see things and see in B&W then become better photographers and that`s what the 52 does for me. The 52 members are the Best of the Best (y)

On a more serious note for the new comers Yes Gareth and I are mad but have great fun as you have to have fun and banter. On a great note you will all get better and how to see things and see in B&W then become better photographers and that`s what the 52 does for me. The 52 members are the Best of the Best (y)

Well said, couldn't agree more!(y)

(Especially the mad bit!:LOL:)

@Gritty
Back to the 52 itself. Some weeks when the theme is announced, you just can't think of something original or exciting to photograph, or you can't think of a way to interpret the theme. Sometimes it's just not easy. That's when you just shoot something, not too concerned about composition, light or subject. Just get it out of the way and move on.

And just learned that my night shift tonight had just been cancelled - should be able to get out at dawn tomorrow [emoji4]

Fascinating discussion on feedback / critiques. I'm in the interesting position in my current job of supervising and reporting on people both older and (far!) more experienced in their primary role than me. A process the military refers to as "broadening". It is absolutely terrifying! But what I have learnt so far is that those I have criticised tend to take it one of 2 ways. Either positively - engage with me, try to understand why I am saying what I am saying, or negatively - retreat in to "you don't know what you are doing sonny Jim". I've watched those who take the former approach really blossom - and that is very much the way I try to take photo critiques!

And if people take the latter approach then they probably don't really want to learn anything and you can safely ignore them on here...

I'm really enjoying this forum - the standards are high, but the people are welcoming. An increasing rare combination...

Last edited:
CRITIQUE

I usually like the efforts I submit. If others do, then fine. If others don't, then fine. It's all subjective in my opinion, even if there is a consensus of opinion. If 99% say a photo is good, leaving the 1% saying that it doesn't float their boat, then both opinions are valid.

Most of the suggestions I receive tend to be pretty obvious to me once pointed out, or things I have noticed but haven't bothered about... wonky verticals, focus not quite spot on etc etc. I feel a bit daft pointing out the obvious on other people's work but I can see how it helps if they are new to the game. I think we all look for praise but it's not just about being acknowledged. There's a lot to learn and this forum is perfect for that.

I would like to be able to comment on everything but either what I want to say has already been said, or there are simply not enough hours in the day.

Seeing what other people produce is, for me, the essence of the challenge. It's a fountain of inspiration if you like. Not just in terms of ideas, but also with respect to camera settings and the like.

I try to comment on all the photos submitted if possible, I will always try and be positive even if the subject isn't my cup of tea, in the past I didn't like posting 'negative' things as I used to take it to heart when judges used to do the same to mine in club competitions. However over time I have learnt to take negative comments on board and use them to improve my photography. So I will now highlight any issues with images but I'll do it in nice way (well I hope I do!).

The main thing I have learnt form putting images into competitions at the club is to put images in that I like and not ones that the Judge might like especially as I do prints!

I try to comment on all the photos submitted if possible, I will always try and be positive even if the subject isn't my cup of tea, in the past I didn't like posting 'negative' things as I used to take it to heart when judges used to do the same to mine in club competitions. However over time I have learnt to take negative comments on board and use them to improve my photography. So I will now highlight any issues with images but I'll do it in nice way (well I hope I do!).

The main thing I have learnt form putting images into competitions at the club is to put images in that I like and not ones that the Judge might like especially as I do prints!

Like you Mark I will try and comment on all the 52 images put in, plus I do agree it should be photos we like that we share and then maybe get feedback on them.

Same here, I've given up trying second guess the judge for the night. You get to know who likes what, but at the end of the day, it's down to what you like.
We probably have the same set of judges at our club as you.

You can`t beat a good B&W when the blacks are black and the whites are white.
What happened to the 50 shades of grey? :LOL:

Re the debate on feedback.. I find it always helps to look for and comment on the positive before you embark on anything that could be taken as critical. And.. if you have to question whether you should say something - just don't say it! Of course I may not adhere to my own diatribe :naughty:

For me this has been one of the most interesting themes I can remember on the 52, especially enjoyed all the old tools (ooh er Misses!). Been looking around the lanes of Dartmoor and Cornwall its amazing how many old agricultural tools are left in the fields and barns. I feel a personal project coming on!

@jdburkedjburke
Do you have your own thread? as you've not linked your image.
If not start one as per the How to guide
or you won't get comments / feedback (y)

Last edited:
OH goody tomorrow is theme day :banana:
Bring it on Mr Snake.
Hmmmmm its seems that they have been a little easy so far ....... ;)

THURSDAY EEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!

happy-dance-animated-gif-image-50.gif

I think you must try harder as we all think it`s been very easy so far :D
OK everyone Blame Dave for tomorrows b*****d of theme (y)

There will never be hard theme while the cobra is still playing ;)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But of course what's easy for me, may well be very hard for every one else ;)

Last edited:
Well that's me all up to date just about got my week 3 image done on time. And comment on everyones images (I hope)

And it's Thursday tomorrow :snaphappy::snaphappy:

Back