The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

:banana:Thursday Eve Eve

Last edited:
I watched this from Dan Norton this morning, regarding Photo Critique.
I thought it worth posting here, especially for the newcomers to the 52 as it discusses the benefits of critique, and what it entails.

I would especially highlight what he says about the comments / suggestions that will inevitably be made at some point during the year.
We're not doing it to be mean, it's all about helping everyone to improve (none of us are perfect, not even me ;) )
Anyway, have a watch and comment below :)

View: https://youtu.be/6jouvrYJrso

Dan can be blunt at times :)
But the point is critique is there to help both the person getting the critique, and the person making it (as it should make both of you think).

I agree with you all the way, won`t make many friends saying this, but what I have noticed since last years 52 is members might post a shot in then you don`t see them again till they post again, some say thanks but some don`t bother. I know it can be hard to comment on every image but for me I do try.

I have been saying this for the last three years doing the 52, I will try my best to comment on all images but it can be hard and yes it can be done. If I like or don`t really like an image I will say but nicely as we all have to learn from getting critique on our images. If I think your image is fantastic I Will say and why I think it is, if I think it could of been taken in a better way I Will also say that. One member who is having a well earned rest from the 52 was GREAT in his comments as he just told the truth and for me I loved that and thank him too. As has been said don`t take it personally with hard critique as we all want to help each other out in getting better at our photography. So carry on enjoying the 52 and getting and giving critique as even the long term 52 members can get good critique from the new comers (y)

@Dave70D I know my photos are usually carp, just say it alright !!! hehehehehee. :LOL::ROFLMAO::runaway:

lol... Many years ago before it closed down I was a member on a Fuji site called My Fine Pix and at the time I thought my bird shots were great and then one member who was great at it said... Dave I can see you like to take bird photos, go and have a read on how to use the camera right as your bird images are crap :LOL: Years down the line I look back on that and think he was right but could of put it nicer lol.

Some people are still forgetting to link their images to their personal thread.
If you forgot then fine, if you don' know how to, please ask.
Just remember that no one will comment if they can't find your thread :)

Man I can't believe I'm already 2 weeks behind. I've been that busy with other things I completely forgot about this. I'll have caught up by tomorrow night

Dum de dum de dum de dum, sitting here mindlessly humming the archers theme tune:coat:

(possible pretentious waffle alert)

My thoughts on Critique.

I HATE GIVING CRITIQUE!

There I have said it, unless I can say something nice about a photograph I run away from it. This is not helpful to anyone since "we learn from our mistakes" is in my opinion a truism. So for about the last year I have been trying to improve my ability to give critique by critiquing my own pictures.I have read, watched and listened to all the articles I could find on critique and now I follow my own little acronym. CIFTE.

Composition. Is the composition consistent with or does it improve the subject of the photograph. Such as use of leading lines, the rule of thirds, etc.

Interest. What is the point of interest in the photograph and is that point of interest clear.

Focus.. Has the photographer used focus technically well and does that help us focus on the interest in the picture.

Theme. Especially in the 52 has the photographer produced a picture that conveys the theme or in other words does the picture show a clear intent for the picture. Does it convey a story?

Exposure. I personally do not believe there is a correct exposure, just an exact one. But the exact one might not be the right one for the picture. Photography may be all about light, and its much easier to see that when you think about extremes of exposure such as high key or low key.

So the above is how I intend to try and give critique in the future, I have made it as simple as I could for myself but hopefully included everything about what makes a good picture. If it turns out that I am offending anyone with this attempt then I will work on other ways.

Maybe others would like to give their thoughts how they intend to tackle the thorny issue of critique!

ON EMOTION IN PHOTOGRAPHS.

Nearly every article I have read about creative photography talks about "the emotional content". Well I have Asperger's (I wont say I suffer from it from it because that is not how I see it) so emotions can be a minefield for me. Unless the subject is clearly intended to provoke an emotion such as the little girl on the bike or the pigs on the farm I am staying well away from it. I do not want it blowing up in my face!

Waffle over!

This is no reflection on anyone, :p
Tool(s)

And you may have to think laterally for this ...

This is no reflection on anyone, :p
Tool(s)
Get behind me Satan!;)

Where is the "bite my tongue so hard I nearly bit it off" smiley.:naughty:6

I tidied my garage up the other day and found some old tools, I was looking for something and it was in the very last possible box I looked in, so thats a good theme for me.

Thanks Chris:):)

(possible pretentious waffle alert)

My thoughts on Critique.

I HATE GIVING CRITIQUE!

There I have said it, unless I can say something nice about a photograph I run away from it. This is not helpful to anyone since "we learn from our mistakes" is in my opinion a truism. So for about the last year I have been trying to improve my ability to give critique by critiquing my own pictures.I have read, watched and listened to all the articles I could find on critique and now I follow my own little acronym. CIFTE.

Composition. Is the composition consistent with or does it improve the subject of the photograph. Such as use of leading lines, the rule of thirds, etc.

Interest. What is the point of interest in the photograph and is that point of interest clear.

Focus.. Has the photographer used focus technically well and does that help us focus on the interest in the picture.

Theme. Especially in the 52 has the photographer produced a picture that conveys the theme or in other words does the picture show a clear intent for the picture. Does it convey a story?

Exposure. I personally do not believe there is a correct exposure, just an exact one. But the exact one might not be the right one for the picture. Photography may be all about light, and its much easier to see that when you think about extremes of exposure such as high key or low key.

So the above is how I intend to try and give critique in the future, I have made it as simple as I could for myself but hopefully included everything about what makes a good picture. If it turns out that I am offending anyone with this attempt then I will work on other ways.

Maybe others would like to give their thoughts how they intend to tackle the thorny issue of critique!

ON EMOTION IN PHOTOGRAPHS.

Nearly every article I have read about creative photography talks about "the emotional content". Well I have Asperger's (I wont say I suffer from it from it because that is not how I see it) so emotions can be a minefield for me. Unless the subject is clearly intended to provoke an emotion such as the little girl on the bike or the pigs on the farm I am staying well away from it. I do not want it blowing up in my face!

Waffle over!

That's a very clear of looking at it, Roger, and should result in some top quality critique (y)

I have been a member of the local photography club for the last four years and have seen a wide variety of judges - from local professionals to experienced 'club' judges - and the only constant is that someone will always disagree with their comments and scores! They usually say "Remember, this is only my opinion" and that is very true; an image that gets a score of 14 from one judge might get 20 and top place from another (although that is an extreme example).

I have never judged a competition and don't know if I will ever be brave enough, but I do learn a lot from from looking at images and hearing/reading comments - whether on my images or others - and that is one of the positives of taking part in a club and in the 52.

As for how I comment on 52 images, I usually mention what I like about the image and sometimes point out something that works particularly well or offer a suggestion or ask a question if applicable.

Last edited:
The members are in the forum now....They think it`s all over... But it is now :D

Tool(s) will do for me (y)
Yes Dave, no selfies and keep it covered :p

Back