The TV Series thread

I think i've ruined television series for myself by watching the Shield. My all time favourite. Tried a few recently including Breaking Bad and they are so slow in comparison it's painful.

Also enjoyed The Blacklist and Person of Interest but none of them are a patch on The Shield.

I watched The Shield after watching The Wire, which I feel is far superior.

I must be the odd one out only watched Vicar of Dibley out of all those.

Trevor

Is NCIS New Orleans available in the UK as yet?

Th UK crime dramas, especially the long ones are great to settle down in an evening and try to guess the plot:

Waking the dead
Silent Witness, Sherlock
Rebus, Cracker, Taggart
Lewis, Morse, Spooks
George Gently, Dalziel and Pascoe
Foyles War. Wallander Branagh.
Even Jonathan Creek.

I've just got UK TV again for the first time in 2 years. So please let me know the latest ones to watch. As you can see how dated my list has become.

Last edited:
How has no one said House yet?

Walking dead
Strike back (simply awesome!)
Hannibal
And loads that have been said before.

Prison break leaves you wanting to watch the next episode, but I found it got a bit OTT towards the end.

I enjoyed the first season, definitely a little on the silly side (along with 24). But would still recommend.

The Wire is great, I have watched them all twice.
The Shield is great, and I have to say underrated. (one of those series you kept wanting to watch the next episode until you realised you were still awake at 4am..)
Breaking Bad is amongst the best things I have seen, and IMHO the first series (particularly the first half of the first series) is not that representative of the rest.
Rubicon, really enjoyed, but they killed it mid-season, so pointless watching...
Just finished the first Season of Orange is the new black, not amazingly gripping, but good dialogue / characters.
True Detective was pretty good, but not as amazing as I hoped it was going to be given the cast.

My other half spoke very highly of Happy Valley.

Is NCIS New Orleans available in the UK as yet?

NO!!!
Oh how I wish you'd never mentioned that. :(

Edit.....given an unspecified 2015 release for the UK

• Wallander (either the Rolf Lassgård, Krister Henriksson, or Kenneth Branagh series, here's an oddity where the English language remake is possibly closer to the novels than the most popular Swedish version)
  • Salamander (I'm really hoping for a second series)
  • The Bridge (no remakes, it has to be the Sofia Helin original)
  • The Killing (again, has to be the original with Sofie Gråbøl)
  • Spiral (off to a good start with season 4 last weekend)
  • Tatort (I believe a handful of subtitled episodes exist)
  • The Wire

Love Wallander,
Enjoyed Salamander, and a 2nd series would be good
The Bridge was excellent.

So as your tastes seem to be similar to mine, I'll check out the others.

Back