The TV Series thread

Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
Yes
Any TV series you can recommend to others?

My list (in no particular order):

The Big Bang Theory
Doctor Who
Game of Thrones
American Horror Story
The Walking Dead
Sherlock
Twin Peaks
House
The Thick of It
Spaced
Buffy

A bit eclectic I'm sure..

I tried out Breaking Bad but it's highly overrated..

GOT and Walking Dead: definitely!

My favourite tv series ever: The Sopranos.

An oldie but goodie: Our Friends in the North.

We're currently watching The Vikings and are onto series 2 now. Very violent, but good entertainment. Apparently it's historically quite accurate. If so, it's totally destroyed all the recent attempts at rebuilding the Vikings' reputation as raiders, plunderers, murderers and rapists. Ooops!

We enjoy Brooklyn 99 and will miss 2 1/2 Men when the next and final series is finished.
Have also enjoyed the current Attenborough series on conquering the skies, a 3 parter on Sky.
Enjoyed the earlier series of Big Bang Theory but think the most recent one has jumped the shark.

My all time favourite has to be 'League of Gentlemen', a bit old now but I still find it funny as I still enjoy 'Trigger Happy TV' and 'Bo Selecta!'

More recently the K.Spacey 'House of Cards' was a good remake of a Classic BBC series.

I've seen all of 'Breaking Bad', enjoyed it but not the best thing I've ever seen by a fair margin.

I've just remembered 'This Life' old but was very good at the time.

Last edited:
Breaking Bad (have watched it 3 times and will probably start the 4th if I can persuade the missus to give it a go.)
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones

Just watched season 1 of Brooklyn nine-nine and it was surprisingly enjoyable.

The Wire
The Affair
Southland
The Shield
Banshee - may be a bit racy & violent for some ;)
House of Cards (as mentioned earlier)
Graceland
Rescue Me

How many episodes of Breaking Bad did you watch? It does take a fair bit to get the feel of the show, then it lulls a little, and then it comes back fighting. It's worth hanging in there!

Last edited:
How many episodes of Breaking Bad did you watch? It does take a fair bit to get the feel of the show, then it lulls a little, and then it comes back fighting. It's worth hanging in there!

Me? All of them, 3 times through.

I did not see the Kevin Spacey, House of Cards, and I cannot think of him doing anything other than a good job, but the original series was brilliant.

League of Gentlemen and the Thick of It were also excellent but the best series I have seen for a good number of year, and it is probably over ten years old now, is, 'The Wire'.

If you are willing to work at it because the structure and for a lot of folks, including me, the dialogue is not easy, it is a great series with some excellent performances.

Dave

Prison break leaves you wanting to watch the next episode, but I found it got a bit OTT towards the end.

• Wallander (either the Rolf Lassgård, Krister Henriksson, or Kenneth Branagh series, here's an oddity where the English language remake is possibly closer to the novels than the most popular Swedish version)
  • Salamander (I'm really hoping for a second series)
  • The Bridge (no remakes, it has to be the Sofia Helin original)
  • The Killing (again, has to be the original with Sofie Gråbøl)
  • Spiral (off to a good start with season 4 last weekend)
  • Tatort (I believe a handful of subtitled episodes exist)
  • The Wire

I'm watching something called Klondike at the moment and quite enjoying it

I'm watching Walking Dead - just made it up to the start of season 5

I've got 'Under the Dome' on my watchlist but no idea if it'll be any good.

My eldest daughter loves 'Supernatural'

Last edited:
No TV show list is complete without Red Dwarf (y) Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Silent Witness

Watched the new 2 parter last week, it was very good. I think they've kept it going quite well given that none of the original characters are still in it.

No TV show list is complete without Red Dwarf (y) Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Or "stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for christmas". ;)

Absolutely brilliant as long as you don't go past series 6.

Forever is quite good - only currently mid way through its first season.
Used to enjoy House but not seen the very last season.
Found GOT slow for the first season until late on and slow again for the first part of season 2 but worth sticking with :)
Also enjoyed all the Spartacus seasons.
Many more but they have been mentioned above.

Old but gold - if you haven't seen then give them a try:
Blackadder
Inbetweeners
IT Crowd
Father Ted
Vicar of Dibley

Dave.

Last edited:
In no particular order

Big Bang Theory
Two Broke Girls
Suburgatory
How I Met Your Mother (I know it's finished but the re-runs are still legen-----wait for it----dary)
2.5 Men (although not the same since Charlie Sheen was sacked)
Strike Back
Mr Selfridge
Call the Midwife
The Mindy Project (although this is more the wife, I lost interest in it)

Arrested Development
Parks & Rec
Community

All excellent US comedies. I liked Red Dwarf season 7 and think the latest one that Dave made (series X) was a return to form. But then I also think Gunmen of the Apocalypse was absolute drivel so I may not have mainstream tastes ;)

Watched the new 2 parter last week, it was very good. I think they've kept it going quite well given that none of the original characters are still in it.

Or "stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for christmas". ;)

Absolutely brilliant as long as you don't go past series 6.

Lol. I do enjoy them past series 6, but you're right, they're not as good as the older ones.

I watched up til the first few of season 5 of breaking bad and I have to agree with OP that its over rated. The occasional decent scene or episode but a lot of domestic dullness thrown in.
Walking dead though, love it.

Waking the Dead was a good BBC series as well.

Space corps directive 3715-3? Are you sure sir?

Once I've finished downton abbey which I initially refused to watch but now addicted. My next go too's are

Black mirror
Sherlock
Would like to give GOT a go too
Enjoyed Orange is the new black.
Breaking bad only the first half an hour of the pilot and gave up

Once I've finished downton abbey which I initially refused to watch but now addicted. My next go too's are

Black mirror
Sherlock
Would like to give GOT a go too
Enjoyed Orange is the new black.
Breaking bad only the first half an hour of the pilot and gave up

Do it.....It's bloody marvellous!

I feel too many series jump the shark and probably run for a season or two too long ... Prison Break, Breaking Bad and Sons Of Anarchy fall into that category for me.
I lost interest in Under The Dome mid series, but kept going to the end of the first season ... they must use the term 'The Dome' every other minute in that show! Before anyone says, I do apologise for the use of season :D

Last edited:
TV programs i watch every week (i know i watch way to much tv)

Banshee
Blue Bloods
Bones
Chicago pd
Criminal minds
Csi
Gotham
Hawaii five O
Law and order svu
Marvels agent carter
Marvels agent of shield
Nics
Ncis los angeles
Ncis new orleans
Person of interest
Stalker
The good wife
Waiting for the return
The 100
Walking dead
Blacklist
Game of thrones
Sherlock holmes
Under the dome

Has anyone watched Lie To Me? I endured it as an old girlfriend loved it, but thought it was absolute dross! Tim Roth popped up in Klondike pretty much playing the same character.

Back