The Drone Photo and Video Thread

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I've noticed a few people start to upload images and video from their drones. Makes sense to have a place when they can all be too. I'm new to all of this, but learning quickly.

Here are a couple of mine to get the thread going. Both a exported frames from video, so quality is not the maximum.

Cardiff Bay by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Caerphilly Castle - EXPLORED! Thank You :) by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

My Vision Plus has only been flown once this month partly due to weather but also we have builders in doing some plastering and a new stove.
Stuff is packed away more than normal to avoid the fine dust getting everywhere.
Almost done though so (warmer) normality resumes.

Since I was doing searches on youtube for bits and bobs on the DJI, there was this video

Was pretty astounding to see how high it would go (hell of a view) but flabbergasted at the stupidity of the video owner. You'll have to skip to about 7 minutes in to get it at its highest point (no readings but has to be a couple of thousand feet up if not more) and once it starts dropping, just switch off as about 5 minutes of video is of it lying on the grass. There is dumb and then there is dumber - especially posting what would be considered evidence to a crime. :eek:

I thought 400ft was the maximum (restricted by the software) without some serious licensing.

WOW!! that's a LOT more than 400ft

400ft is preset, but can easily be changed in the DJI Assistant software.

doesn't look like it was in the UK from the comments in the thread
Think it was American..

Anyway, out this morning and got a lovely shot of Ironbridge, River Severn and the Ironbridge Powerstation, tried to compose as best as I could without going too near the bridge and 400ft up

The Ironbridge and Powerstation by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

I need to figure out how to get less distortion - any tips anyone? :)

I'm not sue you can since the lens is always very wide, although keeping obvious straight lines such as horizon more central makes it much less of an issue.
Lightroom and similar software have presets for most cameras but that's a bit on/off and it's often best to tweak it manually - you often don't need attempt to remove 'all' the distortion.

Last edited:

Use the lens profiles in Lightroom to correct.

Was actually trying to test video and took this photo instead...

DJI00170-1 by Mr Seahorse, on Flickr

#Titchfield #Abbey taken from the air using my #DJI #Phantom 2 #Vision. The abbey is the ruins of a 13th Century building later converted to a #Tudor Mansion. #wegram #jj #teg #instagram #instadaily #instagroove #instafamous #instamood #instagrammers #i by Mr Seahorse, on Flickr

Last edited:
Being a bit of a fan of extreme wide angles and even fisheyes, I actually quite like the distortion in the above shots! Less keen on the appearance of the rotor in the top right hand corner of your video, Ricardo but fully understand that it's fairly inevitable at such wide angles (like me getting my belly or feet in my fisheye shots...)

Being a bit of a fan of extreme wide angles and even fisheyes, I actually quite like the distortion in the above shots! Less keen on the appearance of the rotor in the top right hand corner of your video, Ricardo but fully understand that it's fairly inevitable at such wide angles (like me getting my belly or feet in my fisheye shots...)

Won't happen when I start using my Inspire 1 @Nod . These flights are really getting me used to aerial photography and video, and the use of Final Cut Pro. It is all a new world to me!
Once I get confident I'll get the Inspire 1 out, not only does that have a totally clear 360 degree view, but there is no fisheye distortion on its camera.

These are cool! Far from my price range I think but would love to have a go at flying 1 [emoji106]

Just took my DJI Inspire 1 out for its maiden flight. All I can say is wow!

Here's a revised version of my video from The Gower. Minus the GoPro distortion!

Last edited:
I was surprised our contractor's tractor interfered with my FPV feed if I got too close, not sure if he was using CB.
Anyway still more or less got what I envisaged.

At least seagulls keep a sensibly wide berth - unlike Canada Geese who seem to want to attack

Last edited:
This makes me want an Inspire.
In particular note the complete absence of rolling shutter when he pans quite abruptly - and most all the other vision camera issues are sorted too.
You can use a log mode which is comparable to RAW, responding very well to post processing.

There is some speculation of a revised phantom out shortly, if it could carry a camera comparable to this it would be tempting.
The one thing that puts me off the Inspire is the increased size and weight to carry.
The cost is a factor but really for what you get it's worth it.

Last edited:
I've hardly flown my Inspire, and haven't uploaded any videos from it yet. I'm struggling to find a camera setting I'm 100% happy with. Was going to try something new today but I'm not going to have the time.

Here's a test video from my Inspire. In all honesty I am a little disappointed with the still and video quality. Video is much noisier than from my GoPro on the Phantom 2.

Love these.

I know nothing about drone photography but noticed that there were a large number of exhibitors with drones at the NEC show over the weekend which I imagine is in response to their increasing popularity. I wish I'd had the time to get a closer look but ran out of time.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or any kit for a beginner?

Love these.

I know nothing about drone photography but noticed that there were a large number of exhibitors with drones at the NEC show over the weekend which I imagine is in response to their increasing popularity. I wish I'd had the time to get a closer look but ran out of time.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or any kit for a beginner?

Well in my opinion you really can't go wrong with the DJI Phantom 2.

Thanks...will check it out :)

Think it was American..

Anyway, out this morning and got a lovely shot of Ironbridge, River Severn and the Ironbridge Powerstation, tried to compose as best as I could without going too near the bridge and 400ft up

The Ironbridge and Powerstation by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

If you take that shot into photoshop Filters_lens correction_Remove distortion-6_transform vertical perspective +33 then crop, You remove most distortions.

I'll be interested to see what's coming. The camera on my DJI Inspire 1 is going back to DJI.

I would think so, have you not connected to the software yet?
Some quite interesting things to check in there.

I would think so, have you not connected to the software yet?
Some quite interesting things to check in there.

I haven't, no.
I charged it up, did all the calibration and stuff then up it went.
Was a wee bit peeved when it got out a bit far then decided to come back "home" after it reached its limit.

Back