Critique The view from the Devils Staircase in Glencoe

In 1 is that half way up or half way down :p

Like the colours on the top of the hills / mountains, & the lonely house in two

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Both good but I feel the second has more atmosphere.

Great conditions to be out Steve, I would love to see some of these beautiful scenes you capture with the other two added 1, interest in the sky and maybe a little mist over the land, the joys hey!! thanks for sharing and are you on the road this year?

Great conditions to be out Steve, I would love to see some of these beautiful scenes you capture with the other two added 1, interest in the sky and maybe a little mist over the land, the joys hey!! thanks for sharing and are you on the road this year?

Yep, conditions were a bit too good. @ Daugirdas should have a better series. I had a whopper of a sensor bunny I had to compose around.

I'll be on the road this year...

A beautiful part of the world and a scene brimming with potential but I think the sky in both of these mean they are not your best work. If it had more cloud / colour to it then I feel that the shots would've had the missing link.

That's the problem with Scotland. It is either too clear or just p***ing it down (more of the latter this stupid year). Getting the right balance between the two at a certain time of the day requires very careful planning and a lot of luck. The images from the wee lake round the corner were perfect, these - not quite there. If you look all the way left you can see there was some interesting sky further back. We climbed the wrong peak and got the wrong view.

Agree it does not fix it

However this is where photoshop comes in to rescue, if I eventually decide it is worth the time. I'm not 100% sure if I have a matching sky somewhere. It can be very tricky.

Then if you do decide to do that then you are not the Landscape photogrpher I thought you where, so you go on and add that sky via photoshop never used it myself and I hope you sleep well at night ;)

Last edited:
Then if you do decide to do that then you are not the Landscape photogrpher I thought you where, so you go on and add that sky via photoshop never used it myself and I hope you sleep well at night ;)

Whatever who cares. I am not entering that stupid money waste competition ever again.

I prefer the second one due to the colours but seeing as there's not much happening in the sky you could have given them tree's a little bit more breathing space in the frame. Touch hazy too, looks like the sun was on your right hand side, maybe could have used a polariser.

I prefer the second one due to the colours but seeing as there's not much happening in the sky you could have given them tree's a little bit more breathing space in the frame. Touch hazy too, looks like the sun was on your right hand side, maybe could have used a polariser.

Reading this, I wish I had. Iirc there was some messy foliage in the bottom of the frame so just cropped it off. Better view may help and a censor clear of dirt , the composition was based around moving a fairly central dust bunny to the sky to make removal easier in post

The 2nd ones a beauty, the light topping the trio of peaks really makes the shot

The 2nd for me is the nicest with the redish light hitting the top of the peaks.

Must be only me then, who prefers the song light and shadows in the first.

Back