Critique The Village Inn

I really like the way your eye plays with your subject!

There are three different WB zones here, and a flare!

It's a nice image Craig, especially the way the Inn is lit but the foreground looks almost cardboard cut out. It's not overpowering but noticeable. Good composition though and the low down POV works too.

I like the starlight to the streetlight, not to everyones taste but yeah, it's ok with me. Wondering what aperture this was?

It's worth a revisit, with less emphasis on the foreround and toned down a little in that area. :)

Edit :- ,I looked again and I think I'd lose about half the foreground, losing the pansies and making the bottom, right hand corner of the frame where the foilage meets the frame. This leads the eye in from that corner, to the tip of the rock and onto the Inn. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

@Dale. it was shot at f16 not purely for the starburst more for the dof at 21mm full frame being so close to the flowers. I can see your crop idea would put more attention on the inn and changes the emphasis a lot. The reason the foreground looks cut out is as @Kodiak Qc has suggested there are different wb zones. There was a street lamp over my shoulder which was casting light onto the flowers and a bit like flash against a dark background it really separates the lit part of subject from the rest of the scene. I actually prefer my blue hour shots a bit later but in this case even 5mins later the streetlamp lit flowers were overpowering the ambient light and the colours were horrid!

Back