The virus. PPE. Part 2

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
UK switch to Apple/Google tracing app - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336

You couldn't make this up.

Dave
The original premise was good, but a mixture of Apple refusing to allow access to their bluetooth communication when the phone was sleeping and the very serious concerns about privacy and data retention would have rendered it not fit for purpose. The UK is certainly not the only western country to want a centralised approach - throwing stones about this is petty.

I'm glad they have recognised this was not the best course, and have chosen to take another approach. However the more fingers get pointed, the less likely a useful app is ever to emerge because the people concerned will focus on backside covering instead of productivity.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
The original premise was good, but a mixture of Apple refusing to allow access to their bluetooth communication when the phone was sleeping and the very serious concerns about privacy and data retention would have rendered it not fit for purpose. The UK is certainly not the only western country to want a centralised approach - throwing stones about this is petty.

I'm glad they have recognised this was not the best course, and have chosen to take another approach. However the more fingers get pointed, the less likely a useful app is ever to emerge because the people concerned will focus on backside covering instead of productivity.
The problem is, it’s not the first and I doubt it will be the last, act of incompetence by the government. So while throwing stone may be petty it’s deserved imo.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
The original premise was good, but a mixture of Apple refusing to allow access to their bluetooth communication when the phone was sleeping
Which was known before they started but seems to have been completely ignored? Should have been spotted during the requirement gathering stage and a solution thought of well before it got to actually building it. Although sadly, having been a software engineer, the number of times things got to my desk that were impossible to do, having passed through several revisions by project managers and business analysts was depressingly often.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Although sadly, having been a software engineer, the number of times things got to my desk that were impossible to do, having passed through several revisions by project managers and business analysts was depressingly often.
It's not just software that happens with. :rolleyes:

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not just software that happens with. :rolleyes:
My "favourite" one was a huge project, replacing a fundamental piece of software. Despite having a load of software engineers who could have built something from the ground up, they decided to buy in some software that did 80% of what we needed, and hack it about a bit. Those that made the decision, had no technical knowledge whatsoever.

It got to acceptance testing by the time someone realised that the 20% it didn't do was business-critical, and at that point, nearly £15 million had been spent on the project, which was immediately canned.

Name
dean
Edit My Images
Yes
UK switch to Apple/Google tracing app - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336

You couldn't make this up.

Unfortunately you could, once again they tried they failed. This governments record during the coronavirus crisis is to put it mildly not good but did they really think a track and trace system over seen by Dame Dido and run by SERCO a company they sued for fraud was destined for anything but failure.

Edit My Images
No
I have mixed feelings about this. I was more relaxed than some of you about the privacy implications (if you carry a smartphone, that ship has sailed), and there's a certain irony in seeing a megacorporation like Google, which shamelessly exploits our personal data for its own ends, blocking democratically elected governments from using it to combat a critical public health emergency in the most effective way. Clearly you aren't really in control of that thing in your pocket if you can't choose to run arbitrary software on it without the permission of Google or Apple. On the other hand, data were being retained centrally for too long for no good reason, and it's been clear since the full details emerged that the app wasn't going to work well without the cooperation of the OS owners, even with the workarounds the authors had come up with. Germany (which has made its own mistakes) changed tack nearly two months ago, switching to the decentralised model that it looks like we will now be adopting. Once again, as with testing, we're a long way behind the curve when we ought to be capable of leading.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
My "favourite" one was a huge project, replacing a fundamental piece of software. Despite having a load of software engineers who could have built something from the ground up, they decided to buy in some software that did 80% of what we needed, and hack it about a bit. Those that made the decision, had no technical knowledge whatsoever.

It got to acceptance testing by the time someone realised that the 20% it didn't do was business-critical, and at that point, nearly £15 million had been spent on the project, which was immediately canned.
Sounds a little like the SAP imementation at Lidl. They managed to spend €500m better cancelling!

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't really understand why the government can't just say (& legislate) that a sensible period (like 28 days) after the WHO declares the pandemic over they will have deleted the database. I know data is valuable but if its that important then do it

They could say that all they liked but would YOU really trust any party to actually do what they say?

Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
No
They could say that all they liked but would YOU really trust any party to actually do what they say?
Probably not. But atleast it would go along way to addressing people’s legitimate concerns & by legislating you remove government control

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I can't really understand why the government can't just say (& legislate) that a sensible period (like 28 days) after the WHO declares the pandemic over they will have deleted the database. I know data is valuable but if its that important then do it
I think stuff can’t really be deleted once its been passed around and stored in US etc :(. My impression anyway.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
And of course, Cummings' mate made himself a pretty penny from the public purse for developing an app that will never be used, nice work if you can get some of it.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Reminds me of the last SAP implementation I was involved with, knew it wasn`t going well when asked if SAP was an abbreviation for Stop All Production
I believe it used to be seen as a badge of honour for SAP to bring an organisation to it's knees because it didn't work the SAP way.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
A bit cheeky considering one of them was responsible for “smell” being added to the govt. list of symptoms as I understand it — didn’t ‘discover’ it but found it was a commonly reported symptom on their app.

Edit to add, it was the Kings College one, by coincidence I just received a “thank you” email from them :).

Last edited:
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Strange. Are you running the latest software?
Yes, I’m on 13.5.1. My phone is iPhone 7+ and they do sometimes issue model specific updatesI think, and I have feeling I saw one mentioned recently.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Yes, I’m on 13.5.1. My phone is iPhone 7+ and they do sometimes issue model specific updatesI think, and I have feeling I saw one mentioned recently.
There was a 13.5.5 in beta but withdrawn and is now 13.5.6 beta.

Marc

Mucky Rims, Clean Layout, New Camera
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Strange. Are you running the latest software?
13.5.1 here as well, iPhone 11. I'm not seeing it either. Whereabouts should we be looking Richard.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Settings, privacy, health.
Yup, sorry for doubting.

Phone only of course though oddly (since I’m on my iPad I mistakenly searched on it for health and “Privacy, Health” is in the results though nothing happens if to touch it and there is no such thing in Privacy :).

Edit My Images
Yes
just asked it to check - and it tells me I'm up to date on 12.4.7