The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think there could be more to this than looking at the numbers and only the numbers could indicate. For example in some countries the elderly and more at risk are perhaps more tied to their homes than they are in some other countries. For better or worse that could affect the death rate as could wealth, health, diet, social factors and even the weather.

japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong all have varied social class, weather, living conditions.

Hong Kong especially, the highest density population is in Monk Kok there. Some of the poorest lives in a room size of a toilet cubicle.

Japan has a mix of country side and flats and houses. It has snow in the north and tropics in the south. It has enough variation between them to be valid to pay attention to.

Last edited:
I don't know Raymond. I'm just thinking that there are maybe factors that need to be taken into consideration rather than looking at a league table of deaths and simply copying what the country with the fewest deaths is doing. Maybe that'd work, I don't know but copying what someone else is doing would at the moment mean the government going against the advice it's apparently being given and I think it'd be a brave decision to do that lightly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

has anyone looked at the numbers?

how is Asia in general kept a lid on this so well, ignore infection rate but look at deaths. I know south Korea looks like they got lots infected but they also tested a lot more. Look at deaths only and Spain has passed S Korea, almost doubled!

singapore has 0!!!

Ehhhhh there is a lesson here somewhere. What are we doing wrong?
Ray, according to your 'About' profile on Talk Photography, your main camera is a "Canon 5DMkviii (iii+iii+ii)" with a Canon 550 EX Speedlight listed under accessories. It's there for all to see, so it must be right, mustn't it?

Last edited:
Ray, according to your 'About' profile on Talk Photography your main camera is a "Canon 5DMkviii (iii+iii+ii)" with a Canon 550 EX Speedlight listed under accessories. It's there for all to see, so it must be right, mustn't it?

Are you suggesting I have the same validity as the WHO?

not sure how you got “a lesson can be learn from other countries” to “you can’t trust them”.

is my profile information on the same significance as life and death?

Last edited:
Your profile information indicates to me that your field of expertise lies in wedding photography. As far as I'm aware the UK government is acting on the advice of medical and contagion experts, who, I imagine, will be no strangers to the scientific modelling of global pandemics. As far as I'm concerned, unless you are hiding considerable light under a very large bushel, then I know who's opinion currently has my confidence.

Last edited:
France reports 800 new cases in one day. Horrific numbers coming out of Europe.

It's going to get worse as time goes on and will eventually pass.
But how many more people aren't reporting it ?
Here in the UK we are asked to self isolate if you have symptoms, so how will anyone
know the true figure
I really can't see the point in all this panic, you do know that stress can lower your immune system

Whilst some praise the response of the Chinese they still have not apologised for probably causing a global recession and the deaths of many people world wide. Even worse they are now trying to promote a conspiracy that it was brought to China by the US military!

I think we need to take a long hard look at China and consider 'annexing' them from the world stage; the next time you want to buy something cheap have a look at where it is made and boycott it if it is made in China - very difficult at the moment but if we all spend more on products from civilised societies then we can leave China to face the world alone?

You will find that it was Russia that started and is pushing the America made disease thing.

And as for apologising that’s asking abit much, did America apologise when they caused the last financial crisis, did Britain apologise for spreading its empire across the world and enslaving millions. I think not, China may have issue but they pail in comparison to what many western( more civilised) countries have done over the generations, you have to remember they have caught up with us in a very short time and took us 10x longer to advance that far socially, financially and educationally.

They opened up some drive through testing centres and are catching people who haven't shown symptoms yet.
I imagine, if we did the same, our numbers would skyrocket too.

Last edited:
Here in the UK we are asked to self isolate if you have symptoms, so how will anyone
know the true figure
I really can't see the point in all this panic, you do know that stress can lower your immune system

Eh? I’m not panicking at all. In fact the underlying message in my post is questioning why people are panicking here when others have it far worse than we do. More people DIED in Italy yesterday than were tested positive for the virus in the entire U.K.
I went to France at the weekend and if the flight isn’t cancelled, I’ll be in Spain in 47 days.

I imagine, if we did the same, our numbers would skyrocket too.
From what I could ascertain from the local TV news, it's a brief temperature check and those who come under suspicion are directed to one side for a swab.

The vaste majority of cases are down the east side of the country. I live in Nouvelle Aquitaine and we have just 87 cases in an area over four times the size of Wales.

You will find that it was Russia that started and is pushing the America made disease thing.

And as for apologising that’s asking abit much, did America apologise when they caused the last financial crisis, did Britain apologise for spreading its empire across the world and enslaving millions. I think not, China may have issue but they pail in comparison to what many western( more civilised) countries have done over the generations, you have to remember they have caught up with us in a very short time and took us 10x longer to advance that far socially, financially and educationally.
Mao?

Just ran the wife to Romford Market so she could pick some bits up for her mother. The roads are very quiet. A set of traffic lights on the A127 that is normally very busy with cars queueing to the point the lights can change a couple of times before you get through, had a handful of cars waiting. Even the car parks in Romford where there would normally be queues of cars backed up into the roads trying to get in were quiet.
Looks like alot of people are self isolating anyway.
I did notice a park run taking place in one of Romford's parks as we drove home though.

the UK is looking to trying a soft flat, rather than a lockdown to squash it.

except I don’t think a soft flat will work because this virus is contiguous when you have no symptoms.

OK, yes the plan is to delay the peak and soften it rather than a huge spike.

Just ran the wife to Romford Market so she could pick some bits up for her mother. The roads are very quiet. A set of traffic lights on the A127 that is normally very busy with cars queueing to the point the lights can change a couple of times before you get through, had a handful of cars waiting. Even the car parks in Romford where there would normally be queues of cars backed up into the roads trying to get in were quiet.
Looks like alot of people are self isolating anyway.
I did notice a park run taking place in one of Romford's parks as we drove home though.

We went for our normal sat morning shop at Morrison’s today and decided to go abit earlier at 8:30ish when we arrived the car park was fairly full a lot more than normal.
Shop was busy with a lot of full trolleys and empty sections on shelf’s.

Heard two staff talking by the checkouts saying people were queuing outside for the shop opening at 7:30 which they have never had before.

But I did notice the town was a lot quieter yesterday when I walked to the library.

The thing is Peter that bad though the atrocities and abuses against human rights by the British empire were they were long ago and arguably par for the course if we look at what went on in the world back then. It's no excuse but just taking a wider view. Getting nearer to modern times I wonder how you view the French for their undoubted atrocities even into more modern times then there's the historic actions of the Belgians and the Dutch and in more recent times the Japanese or Germans for the atrocities committed during WW2. Hopefully you're not still lecturing Germans on the evils of the Holocaust or using the Holocaust to excuse the behaviour of people and regimes today. That evil was committed within living memory.

The fact is that today we have some truly nasty regimes active today and China has one of them.

Eh? I’m not panicking at all. In fact the underlying message in my post is questioning why people are panicking here when others have it far worse than we do. More people DIED in Italy yesterday than were tested positive for the virus in the entire U.K.
I went to France at the weekend and if the flight isn’t cancelled, I’ll be in Spain in 47 days.

I'm not exactly panicking but I'm sure some will be. I'm not even worried for myself but I am worried about the possible consequences for the vulnerable I know and for that reason this is a worrying time, I'm sure for us all. We can't self isolate for 6 months though so life will have to go on in a something like normal way.

know the true figure
Then I suggest you stop panicking :) . Taking sensible precautions is not panicking! :) and the routines of hand washing etc are only normal things that everyone should be doing anyway and the rituals could help to reduce stress — ‘mindful hand washing’ :).

Think of me, in a primary school, teaching! Had a lovely assembly yesterday with over 200 kids crammed into the hall! Hope my colleagues who are older than me stay safe and don't catch it whilst remaining in work.

My local supermarket last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200313_175847.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175847.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200313_175610.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175610.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200313_175332.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175332.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200313_175237.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175237.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200313_175152.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175152.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200313_175106.jpg
    IMG_20200313_175106.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 27
Then I suggest you stop panicking :) . Taking sensible precautions is not panicking! :) and the routines of hand washing etc are only normal things that everyone should be doing anyway and the rituals could help to reduce stress — ‘mindful hand washing’ :).

Are you saying that I don't take care of my personal hygiene !!!
That's a big assumption as you don't even know me.
I was in our local sainsburys earlier and they actually had loo rolls on the shelves, in my state of panic I walked
straight past them,I have enough to last a couple of weeks

Are you saying that I don't take care of my personal hygiene !!!
That's a big assumption as you don't even know me.
I was in our local sainsburys earlier and they actually had loo rolls on the shelves, in my state of panic I walked
straight past them,I have enough to last a couple of weeks
Definitely not! :).
On hand washing ... it’s something I particularly notice because I forced myself to not wash my hands years ago whenI noticed I was becoming OCD about it as a result of genuinely needing to do it a lot at work. But I don’t think people are very keen on hand washing (it was mentioned earlier that few use the sanitisers in hospitals etc) because a couple of years ago I needed to replace a nail brush and found they are like hens’ teeth. Not available at all in several supermarkets and chemist might have 1 fancy odd shaped one among the cosmetics etc. Eventually I got some from Amazon. I dare say the chemists could have supplied if I’d enquired. I don‘t see how people are cleaning under their finger nails without — maybe there’s a technique/product I don’t know about :(.

Definitely not! :).
On hand washing ... it’s something I particularly notice because I forced myself to not wash my hands years ago whenI noticed I was becoming OCD about it as a result of genuinely needing to do it a lot at work. But I don’t think people are very keen on hand washing (it was mentioned earlier that few use the sanitisers in hospitals etc) because a couple of years ago I needed to replace a nail brush and found they are like hens’ teeth. Not available at all in several supermarkets and chemist might have 1 fancy odd shaped one among the cosmetics etc. Eventually I got some from Amazon. I dare say the chemists could have supplied if I’d enquired. I don‘t see how people are cleaning under their finger nails without — maybe there’s a technique/product I don’t know about :(.

I found good nail brushes hard to find (all far too small).
But these from Amazon are good:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002D0ZI7U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BBC publish a video about handwashing technique which is OK for people who don't get grimy hands/nails.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51637561/coronavirus-watch-how-germs-spread

Poland is closing pubs and clubs. Can you imagine if that was announced in the UK[emoji51]
They’ll probably close anyway for lack of custom :(

Only if you intend to sell them at a profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back