The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have I said I have no problem in this thread with mass deaths.
Once again, on a personal level let me say, both my children are probably in the at risk group, my wife's dad is in the at risk group, possibly I am (because of my age) in the at risk group and maybe my wife partly because of her age/health is in the at risk group.
That's all the close family I have, do you think I want to see any of them die?
Do you honestly think I don't care about them, let alone my neighbours and the wider community?

Perspective is key - I was chatting to a friend yesterday who may be at risk, but as she pointed out, how many people get diagnosed with terminal cancer each day... at the moment this is quite small scale. We are simply guessing how many will die, 1,000/5,000/20,000.... who knows yet, I do think some of this panic is un-warrented, remember that 98% of us will be perfectly ok.

I think back to my Nan who died 5 years ago aged 91. Had she been around now, she would have been at risk and quite probably die as a result, but then again at 91 anything could finish her off. So without trying to sound harsh or un-caring, something we should be more concerned about are 'healthy deaths' - that's far more scary. How many of the current deaths would have occured anyway in the next 6 months? To be clear, I am not saying that its all fine or have little sympathy, but trying to keep some perspective on things. The mother of a friend of mine who is 80+ has said she is not bothered about getting it, she has had a good life and will continue to live her life as she wants until the end which I thought was refreshing. As she said, if this doesnt get her, heart disease or cancer probably will!

Nicked this from Owen Jones:

"" Spot on from Gordon Brown: "If Boris Johnson tells people to go home and to stay at home, he has got to tell them how they are going to be able to survive financially."
Unless the government bails out people's incomes - like other countries have done - it won't happen.""

What has happened in other countries then?

I'm sure Boris is wondering why he went for this job and Theresa May must be very relieved.

French TV reporting that Italy has extended the lockdown for another two weeks.....I suspect that we'll be doing the same when the current period gets close to expirey.
:( No surprise there Bob.....unfortunately it will do nothing to lift moral of joe public but in all honesty I can’t see that for the time being we have an alternative. Tbh I’m already questioning my own words and am attempting to accept that restrictions may run on for a lot longer than any of us could have imagined.
I say this not as to express negativity ( quite the contrary, I’m confident that we will come through this mess), however I am a realist!

Just a thought. Italy has the worst figures and death ratios. Could it be that there are different " flavours" of the same stain of covid19?

Just a thought. Italy has the worst figures and death ratios. Could it be that there are different " flavours" of the same stain of covid19?

Probably more to do with the different social mix, older population and people tend to live with/close to families so harder to avoid passing on to older/sick relatives

We're told face masks are pointless. On TV EVERYBODY in China seems to be wearing one. Including police and other officials.

Probably more to do with the different social mix, older population and people tend to live with/close to families so harder to avoid passing on to older/sick relatives
Yeah I know thats a factor, similar for Spain.
I just wondered if there was more going on.

Apparently China have reported zero new cases yesterday, nationwide. If thats true, wow!

That’s cause China handled it properly not pussy footing about changing tactics every other day. The also moved 30,000 doctors and nurses into Hubei Province and lots of medical equipment.
Chinese people listen to what there told and acted responsibly and quarantined them self’s as soon as this started,not heading to the pub every night.

All new cases are reported to be imported similar to New Zealand and Australia.

Our NHS struggles at the best of times and is supposedly far behind Even Italy in ranks on quality and no.s. So we are royalty f*cked here.

Keep seeing lots of post on fb and else where of people saying it’s now affecting a lot of younger Italians badly now also.

That’s cause China handled it properly not pussy footing about changing tactics every other day.
If China had handled it properly, the virus probably wouldn't have spread to 175 other countries so far, or killed over 5700 people so far in other countries.

Perspective is key - I was chatting to a friend yesterday who may be at risk, but as she pointed out, how many people get diagnosed with terminal cancer each day... at the moment this is quite small scale. We are simply guessing how many will die, 1,000/5,000/20,000.... who knows yet, I do think some of this panic is un-warrented, remember that 98% of us will be perfectly ok.

I think back to my Nan who died 5 years ago aged 91. Had she been around now, she would have been at risk and quite probably die as a result, but then again at 91 anything could finish her off. So without trying to sound harsh or un-caring, something we should be more concerned about are 'healthy deaths' - that's far more scary. How many of the current deaths would have occured anyway in the next 6 months? To be clear, I am not saying that its all fine or have little sympathy, but trying to keep some perspective on things. The mother of a friend of mine who is 80+ has said she is not bothered about getting it, she has had a good life and will continue to live her life as she wants until the end which I thought was refreshing. As she said, if this doesnt get her, heart disease or cancer probably will!
Perspective?
Flu/cancer/heart attacks all kill more people, but they don't cause the chaos that coronavirus has already caused and God knows what may still cause? Companies going bankrupt? Severe job losses? Increase of personal debt etc etc
As I said in another post, I fear unfortunately it's not going to be just about how many died.

"" Spot on from Gordon Brown: "If Boris Johnson tells people to go home and to stay at home, he has got to tell them how they are going to be able to survive financially."
Unless the government bails out people's incomes - like other countries have done - it won't happen.""
Is that Gordon Brown, the savour of pension funds?

I miss the days when Gordon Brown was a character of ridicule. Now he is sounding like the voice of reason. :(

Where does it say I have no problem with mass deaths? My Dad's 90, will he survive this, who knows, do you think I don't care, don't be a pillock.

Despite the pillock comment being aimed at me, Im not going to pile on as others have already replied more than eloquently to the above.

Came back in a taxi but managed to do a good shop for Mum even got some toilet rolls and handgel for her, so Mums shopping is done for quite a while now and Susie had her nails clipped and I told Mum we will try and come over on Saturday if she really needs anything.

Last edited:

Then why don’t you stop panicking? I haven’t come across anyone panicking.

I begin to think those people who rushed out to stock up had the right idea :j. I had, as usual, a reasonable stock of most things and decided I’d wait until it all calmed down and put an online order in. Had a look at my local Sainsbury’s— no delivery slots available, so maybe I should have ”panicked”. Actually I’d still last a month (guessing) with what I have in the house :).

Is that Gordon Brown, the savour of pension funds?

The very same, but, and let's be honest here, he was talking sense regarding incomes, after all Mr.Branson the tax avoiding and NHS sueing git is going to still be very comfortably off after the s*** has settled on this post bail-out, so why not you and I?

Danish models sound great but how are we going to get them here with flight bans -- maybe modern version of Viking longboats, except they come and we “pillage”.

Funnily enough I managed some of Denmarks finest only this morning, unsmoked of course.

The Danish model would be a pleasant start.

But they have a great culture and way of running the country, would love to see that but that will never happen as it involves common sense rather than political ideology

I was in Tesco earlier and this guy had a trolley full to overflowing with loo rolls and hand sanitisers etc, I couldn't help my self and let him have both barrels, calling him a selfish b..... and had he given any thought to the elderly or mothers with young kids, he said " that's all well and good mate, but I work here and am restocking the shelves"

I was in Tesco earlier and this guy had a trolley full to overflowing with loo rolls and hand sanitisers etc, I couldn't help my self and let him have both barrels, calling him a selfish b..... and had he given any thought to the elderly or mothers with young kids, he said " that's all well and good mate, but I work here and am restocking the shelves"
My Mrs was giving the telly a right going over as a woman exited a shop with loads of loo roll, the interviewer asked her "why...", she replied it was for a group of old people near where she lived, oops!

So one of our friends popped around the day before we started exhibiting symptoms, he started exhibiting symptoms a couple of days later than us.

But it seems he also passed it on to a colleague on Monday evening, before his colleague went out to work on the boat. Which has resulted in the whole boat being put on lockdown.

I don't think people realise just how quickly this spreads and passes between us, that's the scary thing about it. Yeah, it's not going to kill many healthy people, but it's hard to protect people who are at risk when it's this contagious.

My Mrs was giving the telly a right going over as a woman exited a shop with loads of loo roll, the interviewer asked her "why...", she replied it was for a group of old people near where she lived, oops!
They all say that :)

Perspective?
Flu/cancer/heart attacks all kill more people, but they don't cause the chaos that coronavirus has already caused and God knows what may still cause? Companies going bankrupt? Severe job losses? Increase of personal debt etc etc
As I said in another post, I fear unfortunately it's not going to be just about how many died.
Personally I feel that those who are wittering on about jobs, businesses, economy and materialistic issues could do to sit back and really. get an understanding of how fragile and more importantly how precious life is.....be it their own or someone elses on the other side of the world.
Life is one thing that once gone, can not be brought back!

Last edited:
Personally I feel that those who are wittering on about jobs, businesses, economy and materialistic issues could do to sit back and really. get an understanding of how fragile and more importantly how precious life is.....be it their own or someone elses on the other side of the world.
And realise that we are all more inter-connected than ever these days.

My wittering on about jobs and the wider effects of coronavirus is in response to those who are trying to imply it's not that bad, and only 100 have died etc. And you've more chance of winning the lottery.

I know how fragile and precious life is thank you very much.

So far this week at the office, all on Monday morning:
One guy range in, wife got cough, he is 'self isolating' for 2 weeks
9am, Young lad had phone call from girlfriend, she's not feeling too well so he's gone home to 'self isolate' for 2 weeks
11am, Another young lad, his mum phoned in to say she did not feel well, he still lives with his mum, so went home to 'self isolate' for 2 weeks

All very sensible but I'm sure this will be abused!

Last night my cat had a sneezing fit, thought about it but decided to go to work as I have my own company and won't get paid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back