The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wittering on about jobs and the wider effects of coronavirus is in response to those who are trying to imply it's not that bad, and only 100 have died etc. And you've more chance of winning the lottery.

I know how fragile and precious life is thank you very much.

If you really are aware of how precious life is then why on earth are you wasting yours wittering on about b*ll*x
Don’t answer that again ....I know, it’s in response to others ... Ok, whatever.

Picked this "good news " up from tinternet, reading that Air China was once again operating daily schedule flights to LondonI actually felt uplifted, then thought, hang on a minute, if they flew into London with virus free passengers then surely they would be returning with potentially virus carrying passengers, starting the whole thing off again?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesa...1X1_ryw1AE4WPP43mmCNSzxB5hLTtZwQ#227873a61f24

If you really are aware of how precious life is then why on earth are you wasting yours wittering on about b*ll*x
Don’t answer that again ....I know, it’s in response to others ... Ok, whatever.
Probably The same reason as you're wasting yours on here?

Just a thought. Italy has the worst figures and death ratios. Could it be that there are different " flavours" of the same stain of covid19?
Lots of virus genomes sequenced, and of course mutations accumulate over time, but so far no convincing reports of anything that would make it more virulent. Publication suggesting 'L' and 'S' strains that made the news has been widely rubbished by other virologists. In Italy the healthcare system is clearly completely overwhelmed (UK Government scientific advisors feared the same thing would happen here on our recent trajectory, hence this week's changes). Also apparently an older population in Italy.

So one of our friends popped around the day before we started exhibiting symptoms, he started exhibiting symptoms a couple of days later than us.

But it seems he also passed it on to a colleague on Monday evening, before his colleague went out to work on the boat. Which has resulted in the whole boat being put on lockdown.

I don't think people realise just how quickly this spreads and passes between us, that's the scary thing about it. Yeah, it's not going to kill many healthy people, but it's hard to protect people who are at risk when it's this contagious.

It tough to call when you are contagious before you feel ill. The thing is that the only way you can stop this is to be in lockdown for months, and that may save some lives but then put others at risk through mental illness etc... so you may save lives on one hand but worsen things on the other. While trying hard not to compare economics with lives, if our economy plummets then that will have a knock on effect on many other areas which will again cost lives.

Personally I feel that those who are wittering on about jobs, businesses, economy and materialistic issues could do to sit back and really. get an understanding of how fragile and more importantly how precious life is.....be it their own or someone elses on the other side of the world.
Life is one thing that once gone, can not be brought back!

Like I said in another post, if we do have serious other problems then you risk lives in a different way. Many people commit suicide for example when businesses go bust or life is wrecked - there is no right answer but you do have to look at the wider picture.

Like I said in another post, if we do have serious other problems then you risk lives in a different way. Many people commit suicide for example when businesses go bust or life is wrecked - there is no right answer but you do have to look at the wider picture.
Exactly this.....and that is why this will likely be much worse overall than flue/car deaths etc etc.

Excellent thread from a prominent US viral epidemiologist, proposing a strategy that takes on board the UK model driving our current policy, the use of aggressive testing, contact tracing, isolation and cellphone GPS data that have appeared successful in South Korea, and the need for serological surveys to detect those who have antibodies to the virus. "Together, I believe these (and other case-based) strategies can bring down the epidemic. This is the Apollo program of our times. Let's get to it.":

View: https://BANNED/trvrb/status/1240444821593944064

Edit: Here's the thread unrolled:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1240444821593944064.html

Last edited:
Handled it very badly at the beginning, handled it very effectively afterwards.
So where does the beginning end and the afterwards start, in their first reported month, China had over 58k reported infections and more deaths than the UK currently has reported infections and we are only one month in ourselves. It is only in their second month after quite a big leap in one day, that China's situation has started to improve.

I agree totally that the effect psychology on folk could be dreadful.
Nonetheless I’m pretty sure that should any of us or our close ones end up in ICU fighting to stay alive , the wider picture as you put it, will still have to be addressed..... I’ll make a note of that to ensure I don’t fail in my duty to help ensure that the economy doesn’t collapse!

I agree totally that the effect psychology on folk could be dreadful.
Nonetheless I’m pretty sure that should any of us or our close ones end up in ICU fighting to stay alive , the wider picture as you put it, will still have to be addressed..... I’ll make a note of that to ensure I don’t fail in my duty to help ensure that the economy doesn’t collapse!
I sincerely hope that sarcasm can keep you alive...if it can, you'll be fine.

I sincerely hope that sarcasm can keep you alive...if it can, you'll be fine.

I can't even be bothered to reply to him. Mainly as his avatar tagline is doing it for me to be fair. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::banana:

Wouldn’t trust a word the Chinese government say. I am watching South Korea closely as they have testing thousands and at least we know they won’t falsify figures.

The same figures came from WHO too, although I suppose the Chinese Gov't may have given them the 'figures'.

The same figures came from WHO too, although I suppose the Chinese Gov't may have given them the 'figures'.
And Chinese doctors and scientists have been getting their messages out throughout this epidemic/pandemic.

Reactions: mex
I can't even be bothered to reply to him. Mainly as his avatar tagline is doing it for me to be fair. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::banana:

That’s why I’m on here with you..... to feel at home with another blithering idiot [emoji12]

And Chinese doctors and scientists have been getting their messages out throughout this epidemic/pandemic.

And if the reports are to believed then I would imagine the Chinese government did a damned sight more than our government is doing right now. I would like to think that the chemical cleaing of the roads,drains and pavements all paid a part.

On a lighter note, this years Oxford-Cambridge boat race has been abandoned, organisers say that if you really want to see toff's out of their depth,then tuning into to the governments CV-19 daily broadcast would suffice.

Just had a message from Nationwide telling us that mortgage payment holidays are available if we are worried about coronavirus.

B.o.E. have just cut the interest rate to 0.1%

Wouldn’t trust a word the Chinese government say. I am watching South Korea closely as they have testing thousands and at least we know they won’t falsify figures.

How do 'we' know this? Because 'they' tell us? How is SK any more trustworthy than China? What about the USA? Their government lies all the time. So does ours. Our government lied about WMDs in Iraq, and over a million people have been killed in conflict across the Middle East. Etc, etc, etc. Ooh but no; it's only those countries with whom we aren't politically allied, who lie, eh? Western propaganda, much?

I wouldn't trust SK for a second. Same as I wouldn't trust any government really. Praps Scandinavian countries. I can't see what the government of Iceland would gain, by lying.

One has to work hard to obtain a title [emoji6]

I am rather proud of mine seeing as it would be appropriate for a lot of folk on here but I was given the honour to carry it[emoji2]
And you are doing us all proud....:p

The personal insults need to stop, regardless of the provocation, or the thread is going to get locked again. This is a good place to express worries, and generally discuss the virus, let's try and keep it open.

How come some have comments below their forum name and some don't?
As Asha said you have to say or do something incredibly stupid, and have a passing mod note it :D

Its just a game we like to play ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back