The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone happen to know why our hospitals don't seem to be at 'breaking point' during a 'normal winter flu season' where I believe many thousands of people die in a typical winter. Or is just that we don't hear about it on the media as much? In the winter of 99/00 is was reported there was up 40k deaths in the UK due to influenza and I assume many more must have suffered and survived. Did these cases not need ventilators?

Ok. I can see you're somewhat aggrieved. To help me better understand your response could you be specific about what is the 'BS -hatred-and misinformation' in my post and I'll take a look those points and get back to you.

Also, you seem to be entertaining the idea that the Pope might have intentionally urged priests to visit COVID-19 patients. "I only hope it wasn't intentional" you wrote and I don't understand why you've written "There you go,I've just said it " as if it was something you shouldn't really be saying. I anticipated I might get some irate response(s) to my post, people don't like their religion being brought into question in any way which includes criticism of its actions or as we've seen re child abuse, lack of action. I'm talking about any denomination, by the way.

Another issue. When you say 'the more it goes on the worse it will get next time...what is the 'it' you're referring to. ? I understood you meant COVID-19 until you wrote..'next time.'

I'd also like to know from you why you claim that "That's pretty much why we have corvid unleashed " in relation to your first sentence. I don't see the connection.

Re Sacraments (of Penance ?) Doesn't that involves anointing first the head then the hand with oil or maybe just the dying person's confessions ? I defer to you on that one.

I appreciate the value the dying of your faith put on having their priest or a priest to carry out that ritual but unfortunately the extreme condition of patients caused by this virus negates that. The hospitals won't even let a family member attend, a spouse most likely, let alone a priest. I haven't read of anyone dying at home so the scenario is a hospital and to quote you again..'organising it properly' isn't an option so this policy renders your suggestion, that priests wear a hazmat suit, redundant but here's what Dr Ashish K Jha, Director of the Harvard Global Health Institute has to say on that matter. "The suits are about as effective as cocaine or garlic in the fight against coronavirus. It's fun but from a safety and hygiene point of view it's a little bit of a disaster"

However, all is not lost because the Vatican, in the form of the Apostolic Penitentiary, has looked at this situation regarding hospitals and ruled that.. quote..'In places hard hit by the virus a blanket absolution can be offered (it's covered by the 'times of grave need' exemption) It goes on to say that 'a priest or bishop, for example ,who is unable to enter a hospital should use the amplification of the voice so that the absolution may be heard". Have they thought that through ? I get an image of a priest/bishop standing outside a hospital shouting an absolution through a megaphone. I'll resist the temptation to put an appropriate emoji/emoticon as I feel you think that you been offended enough already. Having seen tv footage of patients in a Italian/Spanish hospitals I doubt they hear the medical staff let alone a voice from a megaphone outside the building. I checked exactly what an absolution is too. 'Formal release from guilt, obligation or punishment' and I have to say that it's widely accepted (not amongst Catholicks of course) that it uses guilt as a form of control but that's another issue for another day..or maybe not.

As I say at the top of my response, hopefully, you'll respond for the reason I outlined.
Are you a man of the cloth?

We're just about managing to keep politics out of this. Can we please, please, keep religion well out of it.
Please.

I totally appreciate your plea ..a courteous one, too I might add.(.and take into account those who added agreement in the form of a 'like') and in any other circumstances I wouldn't have introduced the subject. I hadn't seen your post until just now and after I've just this minute responded to LLP..so, I apologise but having said that I think a response to LLP's was justified.

Maybe he'll get back,maybe he won't but I was so incensed by what I was reading and in one case hearing on the radio about the way religious organisations were disregarding the safetey measures the rest of us..wherever.. are taking I did what many do on here and aired it.

If you're reading this LLP disregard my reply to you..it really doesn't matter.

It's not a terrible idea to remove all envelopes or parcel packaging and chuck them straight in the bin, then wash your hands. Since we already know what's in this one, no need to open it first!
That is what I’m doing. Small table by the door for ‘unclean’ envelopes/packages next to bin :)

However, all is not lost because the Vatican, in the form of the Apostolic Penitentiary, has looked at this situation regarding hospitals and ruled that.. quote..'In places hard hit by the virus a blanket absolution can be offered (it's covered by the 'times of grave need' exemption) It goes on to say that 'a priest or bishop, for example ,who is unable to enter a hospital should use the amplification of the voice so that the absolution may be heard". Have they thought that through ? I get an image of a priest/bishop standing outside a hospital shouting an absolution through a megaphone. I'll resist the temptation to put an appropriate emoji/emoticon as I feel you think that you been offended enough already. Having seen tv footage of patients in a Italian/Spanish hospitals I doubt they hear the medical staff let alone a voice from a megaphone outside the building. I checked exactly what an absolution is too. 'Formal release from guilt, obligation or punishment' and I have to say that it's widely accepted (not amongst Catholicks of course) that it uses guilt as a form of control but that's another issue for another day..or maybe not.
Can’t they do it by mobile phone call or indeed by SMS?

Are you a man of the cloth?

:LOL:..My wife is in her study close by and wants to know why I'm laughing so much. Now she's laughing too. See..you've unknowingly and unintentionally brought a ray of happiness into the gloom of self-isolation.

A man of the cloth ? No, not atall, Robert. I'm thinking why you've asked so I read over my post then it occurred to me. My knowledge of the Sacrament and the Apostolic Penitentiary. LongLens P mentioned the Sacrament and I thought it was the last rites that were given so..me being me..lol..I checked. It was a a bit confusing tbh as there's a difference. Without going back I think the rites are just words,the sacrament involves smearing oil on the forehead and hands. I think that's the difference. Then I thought about what LongLensP said about it..ie it was so important to Catholicks and I wondered, in that case, what is the Vatican doing about that so I checked that too and you can see my answer.

By the way.. my wife is currently involved in an online session with the choir she belongs to. Marvellous, isn't it.:)

It's Elton John's song now. .'Your song' The keyboard player is very god.

Other than that as the Irish comedian,Dave Allen, used to say at the end of his shows.."May your god go with you" (if you have one...Lol)

Last edited:
Can’t they do it by mobile phone call or indeed by SMS?

I suppose they can but I'm thinking of those TV clips and each patient was under a plastic cover and wearing oxygen masks and any that the priest would want to visit would likely have been declared close to death so not really in a position to take a call..I don't mean to be flippant there.

You really think that 100% of of the people in other countries are sticking to the rules 100%??
Probably not, but theres a video on sky news app where they're driving round Paris and there's not a person in sight (Well, I did see one).
I'll bet if it was London, the streets would be so much busier.

The empty streets of Paris
https://news.sky.com/video/share-11965376

See...:LOL:

Glad I made you laugh. Its good to laugh.
I only wondered as you posted a lot of what appeared to be fairly religious stuff, and your forum name...John C6 I read as John, chapter 6 :LOL:

I gets better :LOL:

When I joined I had difficulty getting a name..John is so popular..I refrain from using the term 'common'' lol.. JohnC was taken too so I stuck a 6 on. Simple as that.

Do you happen to know what John Chapter 6 is about ? Neither did I so guess what. ? I checked. lol. None other than Jesus feeding the 5000. We could do with someone like him during this lockdown. Ironic isn't it. Simon calls for no religion, I concede and here we are talking about...:)

You really think that 100% of of the people in other countries are sticking to the rules 100%??

Probably not, but theres a video on sky news app where they're driving round Paris and there's not a person in sight (Well, I did see one).

Here's Times Sq. New York. I was surprised considering how hard its been hit.Just checked the date..yes..It's live. What's good is that it's imposed on what you'd normally see. It's an interesting cam to watch in normal times. There's one at street level too and it shows shoppers moving along the footpath,I mean side walk..and stopping to look in shop windows.

Earthcam is very good.

https://www.earthcam.com/cams/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo1

Los Angeles https://www.earthcam.com/usa/california/losangeles/hollywoodblvd/?cam=hollywoodblvd

Last edited:

What a great video. Videos like that will be unique..well, until the next virus. Anyone living near places of interest might be able to photogrpah them..from their balconies or windows. If I were a Traffic officer in one of these capitals I'd take a small camera or even the likes of a 5D1V on duty. I expect some have worldwide.Even foot patrol officers could have a small camera with them.

I'l check London tomorrow.

Anyone else think the £5.8 million they're going to spend on sending us all a letter could be better spent on PPE and testing kits for frontline staff?

Yes I get what you're saying but, if push comes to shove, they have to have shown that everybody was fully informed.

Anyone else think the £5.8 million they're going to spend on sending us all a letter could be better spent on PPE and testing kits for frontline staff?

And probably 3.3m better uses on top of that. What a pointless waste of money!!

So what is the point and what impact will it have?

It's a bit like e-bay in a way. Proof of postage is no good, it's proof of delivery you need.

The impact is that next week the idiots and selfish morons, having the full force of the law unleashed upon them, potentially, have less wriggle room in the courts. It's a side game.

The cost is really quite small in the scheme of things.

Secondly, if no letter was sent, you can be sure there would be those complaining that all possible forms of communication were not utilised.

Yes I get what you're saying but, if push comes to shove, they have to have shown that everybody was fully informed.
But we don’t do that with any changes in the law, you are presumed to know it — “ignorance is no excuse”! When Priti Awful brings back hanging do you think she will write to everyone and do you think it’ll do you any good pleading ignorance? :(
BTW not everybody has a mailing address either :(.

It's a bit like e-bay in a way. Proof of postage is no good, it's proof of delivery you need.

The impact is that next week the idiots and selfish morons, having the full force of the law unleashed upon them, potentially, have less wriggle room in the courts. It's a side game.

The cost is really quite small in the scheme of things.

Secondly, if no letter was sent, you can be sure there would be those complaining that all possible forms of communication were not utilised.

Like I said I don't think 5.8 million will cover it the postage alone is nearly 20 million.

I think you need to have some rather serious problems to not of heard about this. In normal circumstances this would be a serious waste of tax payers money but at the moment it is nothing short of stupidity. NHS and social care workers crying out for equipment but no a letter is all that's needed I hope it gives them some comfort as they try to cope with this situation.
A quick google and it looks like a ventilator cost around £25000 so even at their costings that's a couple of hundred ventilators and the real cost probably closer to a 1000.:facepalm:

Like I said I don't think 5.8 million will cover it the postage alone is nearly 20 million.

I think you need to have some rather serious problems to not of heard about this. In normal circumstances this would be a serious waste of tax payers money but at the moment it is nothing short of stupidity. NHS and social care workers crying out for equipment but no a letter is all that's needed I hope it gives them some comfort as they try to cope with this situation.
A quick google and it looks like a ventilator cost around £25000 so even at their costings that's a couple of hundred ventilators and the real cost probably closer to a 1000.:facepalm:
The govt already has 8000 ventilators coming aside from the tens of thousands of ventilators they have asked British companies to make.

The govt already has 8000 ventilators coming aside from the tens of thousands of ventilators they have asked British companies to make.

I havent seen any sources saying that. I've heard them say on the news they have 8000 critical care beds ready but not another 8000 ventilators on their way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back