The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it’s only 45 miles (or an hours commute here down in the Thames Valley) I wonder if it simply a routine part of their life i.e, every weekend, rather than a once a month style holiday home and therefore easier to “self justify”.

generous interpretation I know.

Although it seems certain the lockdown will be officially extended, I just wonder what ideas anyone is going to suggest for an exit stratergy. With no cure, no vaccine and presumably thousands still infected in the community how we get out of this I don't know:confused:

Question was asked today about exit strategy, think it was BBC news, virologist pretty sure one of the gov advisers, said it was probably the most important questions ATM and a lot of work going to to find the correct strategy- hopes to have the answer in a week or so.

I decided to post this link ,maybe some will listen. It's a caller to Stephen Nolan's show (Five Live) 9pm to midnight last night. The one to listen to is a nurse on the front line at an Essex hospital.She pulls no punches. She says that when she sees the Health Sec/CMO or whoever giving the daily briefing she feels murderous towards them.

To start after the news at 11.00 mins on the bottom line curser the owner of a Care Home who says she's paying £2.74 each for single-use masks that used be 40-50p each.
When she's finished fast forward to 40mins and listen to Dr Al (S.Wales accent). he's on the front line and has been on a few times. A straight talker. Really worrying. He mentions PPE and the new guidelines and the new masks and gloves they've used for years have been replaced by cheaper versions. HMG must hate him.That section ends at 55mins.

To hear A&E nurse Katrina from an Essex hospital go to 1.05. She has the Essex accent...so you know you have the right caller. Another no-holds barred caller.We just aren't being told the truth but is it any surprise ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h229

Nolan is on again at 9.00pm tonight with another phone-in. I'm sure HMG woulld close down his show if they could.

Question was asked today about exit strategy, think it was BBC news, virologist pretty sure one of the gov advisers, said it was probably the most important questions ATM and a lot of work going to to find the correct strategy- hopes to have the answer in a week or so.

Wouldn’t like to be the one making that decision but it will need to happen sometime as we can’t be on lockdown indefinitely.

Hey..Jason..We don't do God in this thread anymore..it's verbotten :D :LOL:

None of the gods has been any use so far. Except to help the virus. Sorry, that wasn't a god, just some of their followers...

Hey..Jason..We don't do God in this thread anymore..it's verbotten :D :LOL:

It is not for you to police this thread. Like violating freedom of speech and imposing your views a bit too much?

It is not for you to police this thread. Like violating freedom of speech and imposing your views a bit too much?

You never did have a sense of humour from what I've read . :D

How about you start a thread on the subject in Hot Topics but be sure to take your tin hat :)

Wouldn’t like to be the one making that decision but it will need to happen sometime as we can’t be on lockdown indefinitely.

Hope they come to the right conclusion. We might learn from what other countries do - hopefully. Journalist asked if it could be confirmed if they would relax the lockdown for certain parts of country initially, by age group and/or for those who have recovered from CV. Virologist would not confirm just said lots of people working on it.

Perhaps with all the virologists and immunologists and all the other ologists, together with AI and machine learning, which I assume, why wouldn't they be, are being unleashed upon the problem, great strides forward will be made in the field, for our future benefit.

Perhaps.

Hope they come to the right conclusion. We might learn from what other countries do - hopefully. Journalist asked if it could be confirmed if they would relax the lockdown for certain parts of country initially, by age group and/or for those who have recovered from CV. Virologist would not confirm just said lots of people working on it.

There does need to be an exit strategy but the problem is that the Government havent managed expectations as everyone is expecting something to happen at the end of a 3 week period from the initiation of the lockdown, however that 3 weeks started a week into a one month plan initially. Instead of clearly stating the lockdown will be reevaluated in 3 weeks theyve fudged it letting people believe lockdowns only for the 3 :-/
There's not going to be any magic bullet anytime soon and I sincerely doubt that there will be easing of the lockdown until there is a plateau of deaths and / or new cases.

When it does happen though I'd think it will be based less on areas / age group and more likely to be where people work ie I would imagine that first steps will be allowing outdoor construction workers back first as there's less risk for them than say people working indoors etc even assuming people continue sensible social distancing etc

There does need to be an exit strategy but the problem is that the Government havent managed expectations as everyone is expecting something to happen at the end of a 3 week period from the initiation of the lockdown, however that 3 weeks started a week into a one month plan initially. Instead of clearly stating the lockdown will be reevaluated in 3 weeks theyve fudged it letting people believe lockdowns only for the 3
Not true.....
It was quite clear it was for 3 weeks, and would be re-evaluated continuously and also at the end of the 3 weeks.

Boris Johnson said that these measures will be in place for three weeks, and that they will be reviewed at the end of this period.

Last edited:
You never did have a sense of humour from what I've read . :D

How about you start a thread on the subject in Hot Topics but be sure to take your tin hat :)

Enjoy the ride through this. I won't bother sharing anything positive or useful here any more. Don't bother with any vitamins, it was all fake news.

Not true.....
It was quite clear it was for 3 weeks, and would be re-evaluated continuously and also at the end of the 3 weeks.

Boris Johnson said that these measures will be in place for three weeks, and that they will be reviewed at the end of this period.

Yep, he was clear that the 3 weeks could be extended. And I imagine it will be.

It's about the only thing he's been clear on though.

Yep, he was clear that the 3 weeks could be extended. And I imagine it will be.

It's about the only thing he's been clear on though.
I'd say it is likely to be a few more weeks yet. I dare say there is a lot of number crunching going on when trying to balance the risk which the lockdown is mitigating, against the cost of the job retention scheme and other government support packages. I think that one of the big unknowns is how the government will decide on how and when these packages are withdrawn. I think that is when the real hardship for many will begin, there will be many businesses that will be unable to start up again at the drop of a hat, and many more who will have to phase in the re-staffing of posts. I seriously doubt the JRS will allow for that, and even if it tried it would be a nightmare to manage.

Hopefully we are now approaching the peak on infections now, and therefore probably a week or two away from the worst number of deaths,

Not true.....

So why are so many on both normal and social media continually talking about the 3 weeks as being a deadline rather than a step in the process of re-evaluation?

and just broken https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52177171

She really had no option

Agree. Earlier in this thread I suggested after the apology I thought she could continue in her role.

However, it seems she visited the holiday home twice - so much for the earlier comment that she was only visiting to check it as she would not be able visit it until after the current crisis was over.

Now I don't think Nicola Sturgeon should have accepted the resignation; the CMO should have been sacked - she was taking the p***.

Dave

Hopefully we are now approaching the peak on infections now, and therefore probably a week or two away from the worst number of deaths,
I'm not sure how anyone could make that claim on the current information. The basic rules for the progress of the infection (as I understand them) are:
  • Any infection continues until it runs out of vectors (people infected with the virus and capable of transmitting it to others).
  • Therefor: it will only stop when the number of vectors is reduced (effectively) to zero.
  • That happens when there are no transmissive contacts between vectors and vulnerable new hosts.
  • Such contacts can only cease when all the current hosts cease to be infectious (i.e. are no longer vectors).
  • At the moment, it's thought that a vector remains infectious for 7 days after the symptoms subside.
  • Many vectors (probably the majority) are unaware that they are infected and there is no large scale test for the infection at the moment.
  • In the absence of a vaccination against the infection the only practical control measure is isolation.
  • Isolation can only be effective if it continues long enough for all currently active infections to cease.
Hence: I don't think anyone can know when the emergency will stop because no one can be sure when there will be no active vectors.

So why are so many on both normal and social media continually talking about the 3 weeks as being a deadline rather than a step in the process of re-evaluation?
I disagree. Assuming she was the right person for the job, the new person has to lake over in the middle of a crisis. Her offence (agree she was wrong) was nothing to do with her performance, if it was she should be sacked — which BTW would mean Johnson & most of the cabinet + Cummings should be sacked.

Reactions: mex
View: https://BANNED/ABC7NY/status/1246904056536276993
This is very possibly a very nasty turn in events. If it can pass to animals from humans we might not see the end of this for years.

Probably for the same reason that so many people struggle to understand what they can and can't do, during the lockdown.

Now I don't think Nicola Sturgeon should have accepted the resignation; the CMO should have been sacked - she was taking the p***.

Yup, should have been dismissed with no pension etc.. Might seem harsh but what she did was stupid, irresponsible, stupid and ignoring her own advice.

If you think about it, the vulnerable were told to isolate for 12 weeks, we are in week 3, so I expect the restrictions to be in place for at least another 9 weeks.

Yup, should have been dismissed with no pension etc.. Might seem harsh but what she did was stupid, irresponsible, stupid and ignoring her own advice.
No, no! How are you going to get good people to do these, or any, sort of jobs? If you were suggesting it for Johnson & his crew of cronies whose inaction made this problem worse, I could agree with you. It’s just scapegoating by the media like their howling for the blood of the fire chief over Grenfell.

GOOD person? "Do as I say while I do the opposite." Certainly should not have been given the option of resigning. At least she can now go back to work in a hospital, doing the job she's trained for since she's no longer in an important area - she might be of use there.

GOOD person? "Do as I say while I do the opposite." Certainly should not have been given the option of resigning. At least she can now go back to work in a hospital, doing the job she's trained for since she's no longer in an important area - she might be of use there.

One stupid action does not mean that her knowledge and experience is not applicable to the Scottish health system and it's people, throwing the baby out with the bathwater is simply daft.

Because they lack of comprehension needed to understand the situation that they now find themselves in.

Agree. Earlier in this thread I suggested after the apology I thought she could continue in her role.

However, it seems she visited the holiday home twice - so much for the earlier comment that she was only visiting to check it as she would not be able visit it until after the current crisis was over.

Dave

If she was the best person for the job and her advice and guidance at this time is critical to the government then I still think that it is the wrong time to be looking for a new CMO. Has she made a mistake? yes. Should she pay for this mistake when it's all over? yes.
Personally I think her mistake will be small potatoes to some of the blunders during this crisis lets see how many others pay with their jobs when it's all over.

Because we are suffering from two concurrent Pandemics.

The Corona Virus Pandemic, and the Morona Virus Pandemic which has engulfed populations on both sides of the Atlantic for at least four years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back