B&W The Warriors

Name
Gary Matthews
Edit My Images
Yes
Having been away from the camera for quite a while now, and now slowly returning to this "hobby"..popped out yesterday to the village and took this, C+C welcome.
Pity about the sky, was just bland as it comes....Easter warriors .jpg

I get a sense of this needing less water and more sky, which of course is unfortunate given the lack of latter! It just needs more space above the buildings. The light is a bit flat too, so difficult to render atmosphere.

Another point is that for best effect I think you might need to lose the tower and the crane in the background, would make the scene more geometric.

Given the light I can't see you being able to take this to its potential, but a terrific location and definitely deserves a revisit. Tony Sellen (of this place) has photographed these buildings.

Yes Toby, I agree with you regarding another visit, have one planned at the end of this month, hope the weather is kinder this time. As far as less water, I tried to get the shadows involved in the water, which I personally quite like. I will do a cropped version and see how that works. But thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Tiny bit more sky so the far bank is mid picture but love the water -perfect in my opinion. sometimes it can be too course from being overdone or not enough.

Thanks James, with that comment regarding the water, yes that was the intension to be honest whilst PP, some reflections can be too harsh, it works I guess in certain circumstances, but happy with that pic. Not sure if there was anything more sky to add to be honest, think that was frame filled....but as said earlier, going back at the end of the month. Thanks James for your input, again, much appreciated.

A wonderful location, the shadows must be mandatory, your avatar permits 'edit image' I hope, so I loved this pic and just altered, the major flaw being the diminished shadows, if you dislike just say & I will remove. Thanks for sharing this photograph fella. The border obviously superfluous and only to enhance the difference in sky.:)

edited.jpg

Hey pukkagen, thats fine, nice to see the crane gone..lol, strange how a slight difference to more sky has given it another feel, but I feel that the shadows are now cramped with more sky, and slightly too much sky imho, but hey, like most photography, its all subjective.The border, I'm with you on that. Thanks for taking the time to show me another take on it.

I agree now too much sky for the shadows, the original felt top heavy but only needed maybe a 3mm adjustment on the image as shown to balance. The frame may actually do the job on the original or enhance the effect. Cracking image regardless and just goes to show how tiny adjustments to composition either pre or post can change the effect.

Back