The White Horse

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
I headed up to Hackpen Hill after work this evening, to try and get a shot of the Chalk White Horse from a new angle. There was some beautiful light being cast on the Ridgeway, with some nice golden tones as the days light came to an end. I wanted a composition to include the horse from a fresh angle, while including the clump of Beech trees that is so clearly seen from the road below. The Ridgeway is said to be the oldest road in Britain, if not in all of Europe and the clumps of trees are ancient burial grounds dating to 2000BC.

The White Horse by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

As above, the light certainly is nice, but im not sure this angle works. if you hadnt told us what the subject was, i would have just thought it was a path.

Lights nice but it's not your best. I want to see the whole horse. It's a bit featureless as it stands and I'm not getting a point of interest here
Thanks Steve. I could take a shot of the whole horse, but you wouldn't like that either, as I would need to be pretty far back to get it in view. From the bottom of the hill it wouldn't really be visible due to angles. There's a million and one shots from the bottom online, which is why I wanted something different.

Last edited:
As above, the light certainly is nice, but im not sure this angle works. if you hadnt told us what the subject was, i would have just thought it was a path.
Perhaps it's something locals would find easier to relate too. Perhaps it's just not very good. Thanks for you comments!

This works for me Jake. Perhaps it is because I know it but I read your title and looked at your shot and I did not think, "What is he on about?"

It is a different slant (literally) from the usual shots of the horse I reckon a good one. The only suggestion is a slightly different (possibly higher) viewpoint to show all of the head of the horse might have helped, but I think you should be pleased with this one.

Dave

This works for me Jake. Perhaps it is because I know it but I read your title and looked at your shot and I did not think, "What is he on about?"

It is a different slant (literally) from the usual shots of the horse I reckon a good one. The only suggestion is a slightly different (possibly higher) viewpoint to show all of the head of the horse might have helped, but I think you should be pleased with this one.

Dave
Thank you Dave.
I appreciate your comments. It was a toss up between capturing the entire head where the tuft of grass is, or removing as much as the road that snakes around the field as possible. I chose the latter on this occasion. I feel I've photographed so much of the local area now, it's hard to get anything different.

As above, it's a nice image...lovely light.
But unless you'd mentioned it, I wouldn't have known it was the white horse rather than just a chalk path.

I read the title. But I thought you meant the pub. Anyway you'll need a drone to get it all in. Or a selfy stick. A very long one.

Looks better than the one at Cherhill! That's looking pretty bedraggled at the moment, I guess the locals need another working party to whiten it up!
This one at Hackpen Hill looks nice and fresh they have obviously done some work on it fairly recently by the look of it... Nice view completely different aspect from the normal White Horse shots, which is quite refreshing Jake.
The whole area is awash with ancient monuments, burial grounds and byways isn't it. I see there's lots of "Snowdrops" out along the A4 on the way to Calne...
Nice Shot Jake Like the neck of the horse and a great lead in to the burial grounds, nice evening light coming in there...

Looks better than the one at Cherhill! That's looking pretty bedraggled at the moment, I guess the locals need another working party to whiten it up!
This one at Hackpen Hill looks nice and fresh they have obviously done some work on it fairly recently by the look of it... Nice view completely different aspect from the normal White Horse shots, which is quite refreshing Jake.
The whole area is awash with ancient monuments, burial grounds and byways isn't it. I see there's lots of "Snowdrops" out along the A4 on the way to Calne...
Nice Shot Jake Like the neck of the horse and a great lead in to the burial grounds, nice evening light coming in there...
Thanks Steve, this is one of the better ones, I also prefer it to the one at Ashbury, which is a bit modern for my likings.
I haven't been out towards Calne for a while now, I was up early this morning, but a bank of cloud on the horizon sent me back to bed. Looking out of the window now you'd never know it was cloudy this morning.

Yeah Driving in to London this morning it was crap:( but then the whole cloud bank split for about 2 minutes with a great red glow and the refraction threw it around the clouds. As I drove up the fields either side had some lovely morning mist, would have been some great shots:rolleyes:. Often think of how much I'm missing on that run into work:mad:..... Oh well wont be long for the BlueBells now... Just up from Winchester, is Mitcheldever woods, if you don't already know it.... just out of Winchester on A30 toward B/Stoke a turning on the right takes you down to the forestry commission car park. Early Morn or Evening for the long shadows and Bluebells!;)

Yeah Driving in to London this morning it was crap:( but then the whole cloud bank split for about 2 minutes with a great red glow and the refraction threw it around the clouds. As I drove up the fields either side had some lovely morning mist, would have been some great shots:rolleyes:. Often think of how much I'm missing on that run into work:mad:..... Oh well wont be long for the BlueBells now... Just up from Winchester, is Mitcheldever woods, if you don't already know it.... just out of Winchester on A30 toward B/Stoke a turning on the right takes you down to the forestry commission car park. Early Morn or Evening for the long shadows and Bluebells!;)
Oh god don't tell me that. I knew I should have been out! Suffering a serious lack of mojo at the minute. I'm free this evening but no idea where to go. Don't want to waste the light but don't know what to shoot.
I'll be visiting West Woods this year I think, I have some different things in mind :)

Don't worry mate... It literally lasted 2 minutes, you would have never even got the tripod up before it had gone...
I'm having a serious Mojo injection soon, so we'll see how that goes...
Good luck at West Woods mate(y) Might pop in there myself this year....

Don't worry mate... It literally lasted 2 minutes, you would have never even got the tripod up before it had gone...
I'm having a serious Mojo injection soon, so we'll see how that goes...
Good luck at West Woods mate(y) Might pop in there myself this year....
Give me a shout if you plan to! I'll come and meet you for a shoot!

... and I was expecting to see the US President :(

Interesting, but not quite there, for me.

Edit: I misread it as House

Last edited:
Back