The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

to be honesty had no idea what i was doing, this MF is all new to me, took me a lot of faffing to get it to work because i was unsure, but I'm pleased with the lens, just need to learn how to use it.

to be honesty had no idea what i was doing, this MF is all new to me, took me a lot of faffing to get it to work because i was unsure, but I'm pleased with the lens, just need to learn how to use it.

Good shot Chris :D but it looks a bit noisy and I'd expect an A7 to give a lot cleaner result at ISO 3200. Have you done anything post capture such as boot the exposure or indeed done any noise reduction?

I posted some higher ISO shots here some time ago.

Here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-105

and here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-71

You should be able to get cleaner results.

PS.
There's something odd here that I don't understand.

I see a lot of noise in Chirs's shot but if I copy and past it onto my desktop looks a lot cleaner. How does the shot look to you lot?

Last edited:
Good shot Chris :D but it looks a bit noisy and I'd expect an A7 to give a lot cleaner result at ISO 3200. Have you done anything post capture such as boot the exposure or indeed done any noise reduction?

I posted some higher ISO shots here some time ago.

Here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-105

and here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-glorious-a7-but-its-all-good-thread.511885/page-71

You should be able to get cleaner results.

PS.
There's something odd here that I don't understand.

I see a lot of noise in Chirs's shot but if I copy and past it onto my desktop looks a lot cleaner. How does the shot look to you lot?

I'm only viewing from my phone ATM and it looked fine. Shot looks sharp to me.

But have noticed if I post something it looks a lot softer than what it does on Flickr.

No I hadn't got peaking turned on and I did virtually nothing to the shot apart from cover a couple of blemishes.It doesn't look what i would call noisy on my mac by the way

I had no idea it was 3200 till i just looked :)

Last edited:
No I hadn't got peaking turned on and I did virtually nothing to the shot apart from cover a couple of blemishes.It doesn't look what i would call noisy on my mac by the way

Focus peaking should help massively when manual focusing.
Look forward to seeing some more shots.

I've seen what I'd say were excessively noisy shots posted here before but I think it must be something to do with how my pc displays this site... I dunno really but if it looks good to you that's what matters.

Posting via Photobucket makes my shots less sharp than they are on my pc.

For most manual focus shots I mostly use the magnified view which I have set to the centre button. I also use peaking only sometimes but not zebras as I find them too distracting.

Glad you're liking the 135mm :D

Last edited:
Thanks Johnathan,what about zebras ,do you use those too?

Never used them. I think they for checking if the highlights are blown out? Might be more useful for video. Personally I'd stick with the focus peaking. If you are doing portrait work with it at a reasonable aperture it should be pretty accurate.

I've seen what I'd say were excessively noisy shots posted here before but I think it must be something to do with how my pc displays this site... I dunno really but if it looks good to you that's what matters.

Posting via Photobucket makes my shots less sharp than they are on my pc.

For most manual focus shots I mostly use the magnified view which I have set to the centre button. I also use peaking only sometimes but not zebras as I find them too distracting.

Glad you're liking the 135mm :D
something weird.just about to post an X100 shot for someone on the x100 thread and on my iPad its nice and sharp on flicker but went on my iMac and on Flikr its ike it hasn't finished loading the page up completely non focussed, tried refreshing the page but nothings noticed that with another pic the other day and put it down to flicker playing up, wonder if this is why you might be seeing it different to me.

update .just clicked mouse to zoom a little and it sharpens up.weird

Last edited:
Well here's a bit of a shock... to me at least...

The rumour site is reporting a 90% chance of amongst other things a "budget" 85mm FE.

Wowza.

I suppose "budget" could be something around the £600 mark or even more... Time will tell but all those 85mm legacy lenses I have could be replaced. Maybe. :D

Here it is...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/expect-upcoming-sony-announcements/#disqus_thread

That was obviously going to happen. I've recently picked up a Batis 85 ;)

Would anyone be interested in FD 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and a Novoflex adapter? I'm thinking of selling as I have too manual manual lenses and selling these would still leave me with a full set of Zuiko's and Rokkors.

I've got the same pretty much [28, 50/1.8, 85/1.8] which I may well sell & just stick to my original Yashica stuff for 35mm film. The 85mm is probably the biggest seller :) I sold my 50/1.4 for about £65 or so I think.

That was obviously going to happen. I've recently picked up a Batis 85 ;)

What do you think of the Batis Lee, it is probably my next purchase, but I am intrigued by the new FE85, and also someone mentioned that the bokeh of the Batis is questionable?

Probably time for me to sell my Sigma 85 and 35mm Art from the Nikon setup and invest in the Sonys for portraits and people in general!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am after some advice.

I mainly focus my photography hobby on landscapes and architectural/cityscape but I never got on with my 16-35. Whilst it produced excellent quality images I realised that using primes and manual lenses have really encouraged me to slow down, take my time, put more effort into composition and think about my shots. As a result I have found myself taking less pictures overall but I am much happier with the proportion of 'better' shots.

With this in mind I have been weighing up the loxia 21mm and the batis 18mm. I have read numerous reports, watched YouTube and trawled through common opinion and they both appear to be stellar lenses but does anyone on this forum have experience with both lenses, and if so was there a preference in the handling and use? I have borrowed a fair number of lenses at a range of focal lengths of 15-21 but I could never get hold of the batis to try.

If it makes any difference I use an A7r mk1. Thanks.

What do you think of the Batis Lee, it is probably my next purchase, but I am intrigued by the new FE85, and also someone mentioned that the bokeh of the Batis is questionable?

Probably time for me to sell my Sigma 85 and 35mm Art from the Nikon setup and invest in the Sonys for portraits and people in general!

I'd be surprised if you didn't fall in love the batis, David. It's wonderfully crafted, relatively small and lightweight and is super sharp. The bokeh effect is subjective I guess. Personally I liked it as it's a little different. I had a real hard time deciding whether or not to get it again or the g master. I ended up with the g master for the 1.4 and aperture ring, but equally would have been happy with the batis and the 55 1.8 for the same price.
There's loads of batis videos on YouTube
View: https://youtu.be/TgThephf7xE

Having owned both the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 and the Sony G Master 85mm f1.4, both have some good points, the AF is definitely quicker on the Batis but the GM does have that lovely 1.4 blur and function button.
Both very good lenses.

Having owned both the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 and the Sony G Master 85mm f1.4, both have some good points, the AF is definitely quicker on the Batis but the GM does have that lovely 1.4 blur and function button.
Both very good lenses.

What does it do?

I see that the new lenses have a button too and I wondered what it was.

What does it do?

I see that the new lenses have a button too and I wondered what it was.

i think you can programme it to act as a focus hold button? or activate eye af? i'll await the guru's reply as I've not opened a manual and set mine yet :)

Now that is very nice, time to sell my nikon portrait lenses and move to that lens on the Sony, would you agree?

personally having had the batis on the sony the same time i had the sigma 85 on the nikon (i think i sold you that sigma) having the ibis and oss built in really helps

i think you can programme it to act as a focus hold button? or activate eye af? i'll await the guru's reply as I've not opened a manual and set mine yet :)

Correct, you can re-program the AF-Hold buttons on Sony lenses, in my case I found using it for Eye-AF was handy. One of the few aspects I miss. :)

Lots of good praise from me. The only thing I don't like is how it looks with the hood attached :) Focuses quick enough, accurate enough, plenty sharp wide open. I guess it's big/heavy coming from small manual glass like the Voigtlander 40/1.4 & some of the 28mm/50mm lenses but it's not too bad in real life. It's not much heavier than my FD85/1.8 & adaptor anyway which I was previously using an awful lot.

Lots of good praise from me. The only thing I don't like is how it looks with the hood attached :) Focuses quick enough, accurate enough, plenty sharp wide open. I guess it's big/heavy coming from small manual glass like the Voigtlander 40/1.4 & some of the 28mm/50mm lenses but it's not too bad in real life. It's not much heavier than my FD85/1.8 & adaptor anyway which I was previously using an awful lot.
Lee I came from the other direction heavy Canon lenses and bodies and to me for the size of the Batis 85 it is surprisingly light. The thing which has been getting me is that everywhere I read that it focuses fast and in recent January/February light it seems very slow to me. This may be due to some camera settings I have on my A7RII I'm not sure but I feel the OSS throws the image OOF to then reacquire focus which causes me to feel it is slow. Funny but when I disable SteadyShot on the camera it makes no difference. This could be all down to me and I wish I could put my finger on why. Any suggestions to get quick focus would be most welcome.
Jamie

Lee I came from the other direction heavy Canon lenses and bodies and to me for the size of the Batis 85 it is surprisingly light. The thing which has been getting me is that everywhere I read that it focuses fast and in recent January/February light it seems very slow to me. This may be due to some camera settings I have on my A7RII I'm not sure but I feel the OSS throws the image OOF to then reacquire focus which causes me to feel it is slow. Funny but when I disable SteadyShot on the camera it makes no difference. This could be all down to me and I wish I could put my finger on why. Any suggestions to get quick focus would be most welcome.
Jamie

Yeah, I remember the days of the 5D2 & 135L.... ;) :eek: Mine seems to acquire focus okay to me (A7) but I've only really used it a handful of times so not really played with the SteadyShot functions though...?!?

I found the batis to be pretty much on par with other 85's in terms of focus speed. Probably the slowest I've used is the Fuji 56 (85mm equiv).

It'll be interesting to see the reviews of the new 85 as they come along and see what they say about focus speed, image quality and image look.

If in the market for an 85 I'd definitely wait to see what the new lens performs and looks like before buying as although f1.4 is nice f1.8 may be enough and this lens could save a tidy sum against the batis.

I keep thinking if I should go all in and buy what to me would be a full set of FE lenses but the fact is that for the few times a year I'd use an 85mm or indeed anything other than the FE AF lenses I already have my manual lenses are good enough.

PS.
Got a shock the other day when I was looking at Wotancraft bags and GF offered to buy me one :D but I still think I'd rather have one made from old leather jackets :D

I must say, it's a nice looking lens imo :)

c0f04316bc61cb587fb6c7606e564c52

Back