The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I was hoping to post a shot showing how sharp the Bokina was - only just started going through the shots and whilst it is VERY sharp, it turns out I'm still pretty bad at manually focussing... so I have lots of shots of very sharp ears/hair/collars but not eyes.
Bum.

Some other random ones though:

Study of a catcus (Bokina)
DSC04229 by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Butterflies - taken with Helios 44-2M
DSC04075 by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Blurry winter (More just playing with the bokina, but I like it for an SOOC
DSC04139 by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Ground Squirrel (70-200 f/4)
DSC02396 by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Teguise
DSC04406 by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

just received a used 28mm f2. was a toss up between this and the batis 25mm but could really justify the cost of the batis at this moment in time.

anyway, the 28mm is tiny. and first impressions are pretty good. focuses as close as 20cms which is nice for throwing the background out of focus at f2.
a little bonus is i already have a couple of 49mm filters for it.

will hopefully get some photos up over the next few days.

I was hoping to post a shot showing how sharp the Bokina was - only just started going through the shots and whilst it is VERY sharp, it turns out I'm still pretty bad at manually focussing... so I have lots of shots of very sharp ears/hair/collars but not eyes.
Bum.

When I first started to use manual lenses on my A7 I missed focus a few times but I did get better with practice. Also, if you can stop yourself from pixel peeping the shots you think are slightly off and instead look at them as whole images they may be ok... I certainly have shots that are off when I look at the eyes at 100% but are fine as whole images.

just received a used 28mm f2. was a toss up between this and the batis 25mm but could really justify the cost of the batis at this moment in time.

anyway, the 28mm is tiny. and first impressions are pretty good. focuses as close as 20cms which is nice for throwing the background out of focus at f2.
a little bonus is i already have a couple of 49mm filters for it.

will hopefully get some photos up over the next few days.
did you once have the 35 2.8,if so how do you like the comparison?

did you once have the 35 2.8,if so how do you like the comparison?

yes i had it but found the 2.8 a little on the slow side for my liking. this 28 is faster and focuses closer i believe. haven't used it enough to give a full assessment of it yet. but its very lightweight and portable which is ticking boxes for me.

i already have 35mm covered with the sigma art - but its a beast to be carry around.

i already have 35mm covered with the sigma art - but its a beast to be carry around.

Yes, one of the BIG draws for the 35mm f2.8 for me is that it makes for a very compact camera and lens package which fits in a very small bag and makes it almost perfect for day out and holiday use.

I was toying with the idea of taking my 50mm f1.2 to Thailand because I just love the look it gives or maybe the 55mm f1.8 for sharpness and across the frame excellence but I expect I'll take the 35mm f2.8 because it's so small.

the 35 is dinky in comparison to the others
Yup. My A7+35mm f2.8 fits in the same small Lowepro bag my RF style Panasonic MFT cameras fit in.

PS.
I'm wondering what direction to take...
I could get the 50mm macro and use it as a general purpose lens with close up ability for flowers and interesting stuff I come across.
I could get the 85mm and pair it with the 35mm f2.8. 35 and 85mm is IMO a good duo.
I could just stick with what I have as my main problem isn't gear but just not having much free time.

Last edited:
Yup. My A7+35mm f2.8 fits in the same small Lowepro bag my RF style Panasonic MFT cameras fit in.

PS.
I'm wondering what direction to take...
I could get the 50mm macro and use it as a general purpose lens with close up ability for flowers and interesting stuff I come across.
I could get the 85mm and pair it with the 35mm f2.8. 35 and 85mm is IMO a good duo.
I could just stick with what I have as my main problem isn't gear but just not having much free time.
And sell me your 55 mm :)

I might do if I had the faintest idea what it was :D

But no, even though I'm knee deep in 50mm lenses (I think I have 7 plus a 25mm for MFT) the 55mm is a bit special and I'll be keeping it for occasional use :D

Alan,if you fancy doing this when you have a few mins to spare.
Would you take 2 shots one with the kit lens at 55 and the other with the 55 1.8,woukd be interesting to
see if there is much difference viewing online.obviously it wont show exactly what the 55 can do because it can also shoot at all the larger apertures as well of course but
would give some idea ,i think the kit at 55 does F4 .
If you cant be bothered i quite understand so dont feel pressured lol
Cheers

You have a lovely wall Alan ;)
Many thanks for those just taking into lr to peruse.will let you know my thoughts once ive had a good look.
How do they look on your screen?

interesting, I asked my daughter which she preferred and she couldn't really decide.After tweaking in LR amazing how much different they can look.
I like the idea of the faster lens so I can have a faster shutter speed but keep ISO low.
thanks again for doing this, much appreciated.

Chris,

Pixel peeping the centre of the frame at 100% it looks to me that there's not a lot in it at f5. Maybe the 55mm is slightly sharper but in a whole image there's nothing in it. The differences can however be seen towards and at the edges and at the edges the 55mm is significantly sharper. In fact I'd say that at the edges the 55mm is sharper at f1.8 than the kit lens is at f5.

PS.
They look ok on my screen and are sharp but due to the shaded wall and dull northern light and me shooting them all smack in the middle exposure wise they maybe need a slight boost in exposure to look nice and punchy. Not that anyone would want a nice punchy picture of that wall.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone else is interested but keep in mind that these will be softened and otherwise mangled by Photobucket and the process of posting them here.

100% at the centre of the frame at f5, kit lens and then the 55mm.

Now the bottom left hand corner at f5 and 100%. First the kit lens and then the 55mm and lastly the 55mm at f1.8.

thats strange Alan,the 55 at 1.8 looks darker in the lighter areas than the F5

Are you sure you're not seeing vignetting at f1.8?

I didn't spend any time over these but I've just opened all the raws in CS5 and applied the appropriate lens profile and the shots look pretty much the same.

These are whole images. the first is the 28-70mm at f5 and the second is the 55mm at f5 and then f1.8.

Last edited:
Yes in the corner shot the 55 1.8 is darker than 55 f5
I think it's just vignetting then as I initially didn't load the lens profile or correct it manually.

Are you tempted to get a 55mm f1.8?

When I first got it I tested it against my manual 50mm lenses and I was shocked at how sharp it is across the frame. I think it's better across the frame than the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f2.5 I had in my DSLR days.

I think it's just vignetting then as I initially didn't load the lens profile or correct it manually.

Are you tempted to get a 55mm f1.8?

When I first got it I tested it against my manual 50mm lenses and I was shocked at how sharp it is across the frame. I think it's better across the frame than the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f2.5 I had in my DSLR days.

yes i am tempted :)

Jason Lanier asks if the new Sony 85mm f1.8 is as good as the Batis for half the price...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPNEsZMfz2o

One thing that crops up is that the Sony lens seems a tad wider than the Batis. It's be interesting to know what these lenses measure as.

He does a shoot with the Sony here...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhTX6pYRFE

and if you're interested in how the lens works on an A6500 he uses the combo here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKQjkDGlx0

And on a J.L. note...

There are comments about him on the rumour site, what do you guys think?

To me he's a bit, more... a bit much if you know what I mean :D than I'd be comfortable with and TBH I don't like the way he talks to the models at times but they don't seem to mind so who am I to judge. Certainly I've gone out with a few very attractive ladies who'd probably have had words with him if he'd talked to them like he talks to his models but maybe me and my friends and ex's are just different and not model types :D

I can't really criticise his photography though, to me his results are never less than excellent.

PS.
One thing that strikes me watching not just this but other lens review videos is that when you see lenses on the camera and being used the lenses can look more compact than they do in static shots of the camera and lens combination. I think that camera and lens shots can give a bit of a false impression and the lenses can look bulkier than they are in reality.

Last edited:
Jason Lanier asks if the 85mm f1.8 is as good as the Batis for half the price...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPNEsZMfz2o

One thing that crops up is that the Sony lens seems a tad wider than the Batis. It's be interesting to know what these lenses measure as.

He does a shoot with the Sony here...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhTX6pYRFE

and if you're interested in how the lens works on an A6500 he uses the combo here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKQjkDGlx0

And on a J.L. note...

To me he's a bit, more... a bit much if you know what I mean :D than I'd be comfortable with and TBH I don't like the way he talks to the models at times but they don't seem to mind so who am I to judge. Certainly I've gone out with a few very attractive ladies who'd probably have had words with him if he'd talked to them like he talks to his models but maybe me and my friends and ex's are just different and not model types :D

I can't really criticise his photography though, to me his results are never less than excellent.

i watched this earlier and the new 85 looks impressive. will be interesting to see how the booker compares, how it focuses in low light.
re the field of view difference - the batis is a little tighter than the g master also, and i think the new 85 and g master are 85mm and the batis is more like an 88mm.

re JL - he is a sony man, so you have to expect him to get all over excited about their gear. many of the models he does seem to work with regularly so id describe it as mostly friendly banter.

re JL - he is a sony man, so you have to expect him to get all over excited about their gear. many of the models he does seem to work with regularly so id describe it as mostly friendly banter.

Yes, I'm sure it's just friendly banter but friendly banter that could maybe prompt a few critical words from some down to earth lasses :D

I do like the more enthusiastic and excitable reviewers, I think it's rather endearing to see childlike enthusiasm for the gear and the whole experience and at least he expresses an opinion rather than the dryer more spec based reviews that can IMO get a bit lost and end up rather dry.

If anyone is interested I've just put an ad in the for sale section for a nice little set of FD primes and a Novoflex adapter.

Really liking the look of this 85 1.8 FE. Think it would be a great compliment to the 35. Anyone heard any rumours of availability/delivery dates?

Just had an instant chat thingy with Jessops and they have no idea when it'll be in stock.

And on a J.L. note...

He likes himself a LOT and thats putting it very mildly.

And on a J.L. note...

He likes himself a LOT and thats putting it very mildly.

Yes but I suppose you have to be a colourful personality to do what he does :D

Back