The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes. NEX (well, now E-mount Alpha) cameras are WYSIWYG and don't do the auto-diaphragm thing that SLR lenses do. I've seen it claimed this is partly to reduce any residual vibration from closing the aperture blades up and to improve the response time when the shutter button is pressed. Essentially, they're always running in stop-down mode.

Ah... I see. My G1 has a depth of field button.

Sensor cleaning...

When I check the spec on the Sony site there was no mention of sensor cleaning but I've just checked the spec on two different review sites and both say it has it. On one site it's just a tick in a column and on the other they say...

"The company is using an ultrasonic vibration system, coupled with a charge protection coating on a filter overlying the sensor."

So that's good.

Something else that's good... I think that this is the first CSC with a base ISO of 100 (expandable to 50) and a max shutter speed of 1/8000. WHOOPEEEEEE!!!!! No more ND's! :D

Last edited:
Got to agree with this, Sony are making superb cameras, but their lens line-ups/road maps are all over the place in my opinion. As much as I love the idea of the a7, they don't have a single lens in the initial line-up that really appeals to me personally. It's telling that more people seem to be talking about it as a legacy lens camera, rather than a system.

Fuji in particular are making them look a bit silly, less than two years into the X mount and already it's a wonderfully fleshed out system with some stunning affordable glass, and a fairly logical clearly defined roadmap. It already feels safe going with Fuji, but with Sony you wonder what they might focus their attention on next.

Thats maybe the only thing about Sony,their finger in many pies :)

Fuji in particular are making them look a bit silly, less than two years into the X mount and already it's a wonderfully fleshed out system with some stunning affordable glass, and a fairly logical clearly defined roadmap. It already feels safe going with Fuji, but with Sony you wonder what they might focus their attention on next.
On the other hand Fuji's camera division is a minnow compared to Sony's & probably less profitable (in fact I believe that it runs at a loss).
Still the more that Fuji sells the more base sensors that they'll be buying from Sony ... (you did know that Fuji's sensors are Sonys with a different topping, right? ;))

Does anyone know what flash units you'll be able to use on these?

with full auto TTL etc. it should be the F60M, F43M, F20M or any of the previous iISO foot models (incl. 3rd party) via the Sony mount adapter.
If you are happy with manual then any flash with an ISO hotshoe & a manual mode.

The one problem i have is the lack of lens choice, ideally i would like a 24-105 f2.8 and a nice fast 24 or 35 f1.8 or better.

The one problem i have is the lack of lens choice, ideally i would like a 24-105 f2.8 and a nice fast 24 or 35 f1.8 or better.

They do a 35mm f2.8 don't they? $1,000 :LOL:

Or a 55mm f1.8 $1,300

Last edited:
No, if you're talking about FE lenses for the A7*, it's a 35mm f/2.8, and it's $799. ;)

The pricing is what will make this system such a niche product, lenses priced like that are ridiculous for most people as a hobby surely, and surely a pro would not even consider such a system?

For the sake of accurate facts after your edit, the 55mm is $999 SRP.
I quoted the prices in the video.

If it's the Sony Australia video, then I think they are Australian Dollars, A$, rather than USD.

I'll correct that for you "The one problem I have is the lack of native lens choice"
These can probably mount more lenses than any other 35mm digital cameras in history.

Yes but why would i buy a Sony A7 over a Canon 6D if i was then going to use a Canon lens? Plus doesn't using adapter introduce quality degradation?

Plus doesn't using adapter introduce quality degradation?

On that point, no. It's the same as using an extension tube - there are no optical elements in an adapter for regular Full-Frame lenses on a system with a register distance as short as E-mount.

Okay, i see everyone favors the Metabones adapter. Seems pricey, cheaper to buy a 6D.

Yes but why would i buy a Sony A7 over a Canon 6D if i was then going to use a Canon lens? Plus doesn't using adapter introduce quality degradation?

Because you can't any other lenses the 6D. The adaptor doesn't degrade image quality as it only gives the correct distance from the sensor and the appropriate mounts. Been using a metabones one on my NEX-5r with voigtlander lenses with no issues, I expect to use the same combo with the A7.

Yes but why would i buy a Sony A7 over a Canon 6D if i was then going to use a Canon lens?
for things that need fast tracking AF you probably wouldn't.
But the Sony very probably has a better sensor & there are things that it can do that a 6D can't (as well as being smaller).
I suspect that the A7 may actually be a better body to use an MPE-65 on than a 6D.

£919 for a 50mm f1.8 :puke: Just the 35mm for me then!
cheap compared to the new Zeiss OTUS @$4000...
The new Sony Zeiss ZA 50/1.4 & Nikon 50/1.4 are both ~£1500 & no doubt Canon will come out with a new high spec.~50mm to compete.

Last edited:
for things that need fast tracking AF you probably wouldn't.
But the Sony very probably has a better sensor & there are things that it can do that a 6D can't (as well as being smaller).
I suspect that the A7 may actually be a better body to use an MPE-65 on than a 6D.

cheap compared to the new Zeiss OTUS @$4000...
The new Sony Zeiss ZA 50/1.4 & Nikon 50/1.4 are both ~£1500 & no doubt Canon will come out with a new high spec.~50mm to compete.

The Nikons 50mm f1.4 is around £300, the newer 58mm is the expensive one

It would be daft to have a 36MP sensor with no AA and then release a load of cheap glass for it. You can use an adapter for your own lenses and legacy glass anyway. The Zeiss lenses look really good, hopefully they and this camera perform to expectations.

Yeah I'd be surprised if there isn't something well in the works, 56Mpx or something.

It would be daft to have a 36MP sensor with no AA and then release a load of cheap glass for it. You can use an adapter for your own lenses and legacy glass anyway. The Zeiss lenses look really good, hopefully they and this camera perform to expectations.

If the lenses are very good it'll justify the prices. I've only had 2 fast 50mm's, a Canon f2.5mm "macro" and the Sigma f1.4 that I still have. To be honest I can't see myself wanting a better lens than the Sigma although that lens would be a bit big for the A7 IMVHO.

If Sony or some other third party could market a compact lens of the quality of the Sigma at the Sigma price point or just a bit more I'd be very happy... although to keep the size down a bit maybe it could be f1.8.

If I do go for a A7 I can't see myself buying any of the announced lenses and I'll probably use my existing legacy lenses and hope that Sigma or someone else brings out good quality compact lenses at a reasonable price, 35, 50 and 85mm f1.8's would be a very good start.

Last edited:
I'd love to see how the existing Sigma 30mm & 19mm for the NEX works on these A7s , how much vignetting and if crop-mode is forced ON for them : considering they provide the NEX range with decent AF primes at good prices.

I'd love to see how the existing Sigma 30mm & 19mm for the NEX works on these A7s , how much vignetting and if crop-mode is forced ON for them : considering they provide the NEX range with decent AF primes at good prices.

+1 only downside is no IBIS or IS.

Its in lens now, they wouldn't be able to fit it in the body.

Actually, you can. With an adapter you can use Olympus OM, Contax and Yashica, Nikon, M42, Leica R and some Exakta mount lenses.

Yes, but there are no focus aids.

I've tried my Zuiko's on my 5D and they work well but I'm afraid I'm not a fan of manual focus with a modern DSLR unless the subject is so big in the frame that it's very easy to judge. Infinity or focus at a distance = fine but other than that focus may not stand up to close examination.

Unless you're talking live view? Personally I'm not a fan of back screen shooting.

You can zoom in 10x to get perfect focus, so live view is much better than an OVF of say the 5D which has no live view anyway. An EVF will be good for manual focusing, it's probably the way forward with the peaking etc.

You can zoom in 10x to get perfect focus, so live view is much better than an OVF of say the 5D which has no live view anyway. An EVF will be good for manual focusing, it's probably the way forward with the peaking etc.

I'm sure you can but personally back screen focusing just isn't for me.

I see that there may be a range of manual lenses...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I can see the reasoning for going for high quality AF lenses but I do wish that some compact and light f1.8's could be possible even if they were only avaerage performers. I wish we could get closer to the bulk and weight of cameras of the past and it seems at the moment that the lenses for this new system are going to disappoint me from a bulk and weight perspective.

When I first saw those pictures I thought OMG that's a detailed and sharp image but I spotted that the picture I was looking at was taken at f8. Now, my cameras and lenses aren't of the very highest quality and may not match the new A7+AF lenses but when looking at the quality of my own kit I doubt I'd be too surprised to find that they're near their best at f8... that's what I'd expect and therefore I'd rather be stunned by the quality of the new Sony kit at more challenging wider apertures.

Anyway. I've little doubt that the camera and lenses will be towards the top of the market IQ wise.

I find myself thinking about ordering an A7+35 and 50mm lenses and hoping that they bring out a nice 85mm, maybe f1.8 to keep the bulk down a little. Another option would be buying a body only and using my existing lenses and hoping that someone (Sigma?) brings out some compact and less high end but still good lenses at less high end prices. However, I'm sufficiendly worried about the performance of the EVF in low light to have the sense to hold off until I can find a camera to try.

You won't have to worry about the quality from a Zeiss prime, coupled with a Sony sensor it's about as good as you can get.

Yes, but there are no focus aids.

I've tried my Zuiko's on my 5D and they work well but I'm afraid I'm not a fan of manual focus with a modern DSLR unless the subject is so big in the frame that it's very easy to judge. Infinity or focus at a distance = fine but other than that focus may not stand up to close examination.

Unless you're talking live view? Personally I'm not a fan of back screen shooting.

But as we discussed before, those with better eyesight have no issues. I always found focus peaking to be inaccurate and zoomed in shooting too awkward for moving subjects.

Anyway, I'm intruiged to see how these cameras turn out as I have a nice collection of PB mount CZJ lenses that are screaming to sit in front of a compatible full framer.

I'm not worried, apart from the price :D

I have a bee in my bonnet about VF's in low light, DR and eyestrain and really, I'm going to have to try a body before buying. The VF in low light is a deal maker/breaker for me for any CSC.

But as we discussed before, those with better eyesight have no issues. I always found focus peaking to be inaccurate and zoomed in shooting too awkward for moving subjects.

Anyway, I'm intruiged to see how these cameras turn out as I have a nice collection of PB mount CZJ lenses that are screaming to sit in front of a compatible full framer.

I'm not worried about my eyesight or accuracy when focusing, not with CSC. I don't like focusing with a modern DSLR unless the subject is big in the frame, they're just not designed or built for it. Not even with my 20/20 vision.

I have two specific issues with CSC's...

1. My G1 and the only other CSC I've tried, Nex 6, both kicked out so much light from their EVF's that they cause me immediate eye strain and for me are unusable in low light.

2. My current G1 seems to have very limited DR and in low light fails to display detail clearly visible by eye.

Unless those two points are addressed I can't move fully to a CSC.

I believe that some cameras at least can now display detail in low light but I need to see for myself and convince myself that the eye strain issue is cured before sinking serious money into an EVF equipped camera.

Here's an image someone posted for me at post from tnphoto...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3560987?page=3

And here's my prblem with my G1 (Nex 6 seemed just the same)...

Last edited:
Back