1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The evolving future of the Airship industry and currently the largest Aircraft on the planet!
    Taken early the morning of April 20th 2017, the Airlander 10 sits patiently for more pre flight tests today before taking to the air once more. More information on this new breed of Hybrid AIr Vehicle here. https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/

[​IMG]Week 14 - Evolve by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

photogwannabe and MarkLewis35 like this.
  2. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Size wise, I cannot be impressed as long as I see it on
    photograph but only imagine… "in real person!"

The halo over the land could indicate the presence of
    fog but when I see the halo extending over the craft I
    really wonder… :cautious:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Mark Johnson likes this.
  3. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    o_O When did the default position become " Nice photo, wonder if its photoshopped to hell or is it natural?" :eek::eek:

And yes it is natural

4. Circuit Hero

Circuit Hero

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think the issue is that the noise and halo give the appearance of this being somewhat over-processed (liberal use of the clarity slider perhaps?). With ironically a little more time in post-production you could remove those artefacts and make it look more natural.

Mightyboosh likes this.
  5. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Clarity slider wasn't even touched, other than crop, increasing exposure to lighten the foreground, adding a little warmth, minimal sharpening and conversion to jpeg there was no other post processing. The "halo" is early morning mist as the sun was coming up, pretty much all that landscape is farmland. A post processing halo would be over the airship too, it isn't.

6. Circuit Hero

Circuit Hero

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Perhaps its a combination of lifting the shadows and edge-sharpening (effectively what clarity does) that has caused the issues - they are also present on the airship.

These are the areas that stand out - this is with the clarity reduced to -100 and you'll see the artefacts are still there.
    [​IMG]

This is with +100 clarity, which increases the artefacts already present and adds more as you would expect.
    [​IMG]

As I say, in post you could make this look more natural be selectively editing areas to get them looking how you want, then editing the lot as one image to make it look consistent. A final bit of noise reduction would help also. It's a solid image, but with a refinement it could be even better.

7. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    couple of things.

I do have no editing ticked in my avatar but that non withstanding -

edge darkness ? you mean on the shadow side of the airlander? and this after you've edited a jpeg by reducing clarity? same goes for the supposed artifacts on both images

heres a screen shot of the original raw for some reference too.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 09.56.30 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

8. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I would be very curious to give it a try in my
    converter… Raw that is!

9. Circuit Hero

Circuit Hero

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I havent edited your image, just tried to show you where the artifacts are more clearly. Clearly you're not pleased with receiving critique, so I'll leave you to it.

10. photogwannabe

photogwannabe

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Crikey! (Will say no more.) Donnie, I think it's a stunning image. Kudos to you for getting up way too early to get there and photograph it.

Donnie likes this.
  11. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't mind critique at all otherwise Id never post any photos on here. However, by taking the image and reducing the clarity then increasing it is certainly editing. The "artifacts" and halo alluded to I have already explained as being on scene when I took the image but this appears to have been ignored.

12. The Image Team

The Image Team

Name:
    Nicholas
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Donnie, I'm not going to criticise you for not sweeping up the mist before you took the photo. Neither am I going to accuse you of nefarious and excessive Lightroom-ing. I'm just going to congratulate you on a great shot.

Donnie likes this.
  13. Circuit Hero

Circuit Hero

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As I say, it's not about criticism or accusations; it's about room for improvement, as there is with any image including anything in my portfolio. It's subjective and the OP disagrees, which is absolutely fine and I'm certainly not taking anything negative away from the conversations within here. Let's not try and turn this into some sort of character assassination just because we have different opinions.

14. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I suppose it just feels critical and accusatory to me due to the assumption that the photos been so overphotoshopped that its not what was actually in front of the camera on the day it was taken. That plus the editing of my images, the highlighting of artifacts your edited images etc.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As a photo I like it,
    but would prefer a closer look from an angle that makes the plane look like a giant bum.

16. Circuit Hero

Circuit Hero

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It honestly wasn't meant like that at all - Kodiak pointed out some things and it appeared you didn't see his angle, so all I tried to do was clarify and show what he meant more clearly as I thought they were constructive points. I actually intended quite the opposite - they're under photoshopped! Apologies if you took offence, I have a thicker skin than most.

Donnie likes this.
  17. GreenNinja67

GreenNinja67

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm going to be myself.

b*****ks to halos I love it.

HarryLens and Donnie like this.
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The halos really add to the scene, like a rim-light.