The wreck of the Admiral von Tromp

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Morning everyone, trust you all had a great bank holiday?

I had a trip out to Whitby with my other half; she's currently getting free 3hr long exposure work shops lol!! I've recently bought her a full Lee set up, grads, ND's, big stopper and polariser; now she's nagging me every-chance she gets to go out :) She did manage to come home with some great images; this is the second outing she's had and this time round she only had a little help, so very pleased with what she came back with. She reckons its down to the teacher, I personally think she's got a great talent.

Anyway... we had an early rise on Saturday morning for a trip out to Whitby - The light on route was amazing, so was some of the rain we drove through too, but no wonder the light was so good.... I'd failed to check the sunrise time and presumed it would be 5:20/30ish (same as last weekend), but as we turned up in the top car-park, the sun just popped up over the horizon... time, 4:40! Oh well, never mind.

We made our way down onto the beach at Saltwick bay, then of course to get round to the wreck of the Admiral von Tromp, we had to make our way over the boulders - not an easy task. I arrived at the wreck, but turned out I'd just missed the tide by 10 or so minutes for the photograph I wanted, so this one had to do.

I got lucky as the sun hit the wreck in the right spot at the right time :)

imagegen.ashx

Full size either on my website or flickr.
Enjoy the rest of your day... only a short week!! :)

Last edited:
I really like it mate - even with the unlucky timings.
On here it looks over sharpened, but having seen it elsewhere I know it's not the case.
(y)

Thanks Jake - Sharpening is fine, although at this size it does look like it is over sharpened... reason? There's light reflecting off the the edge of the tip, which at this size makes it look like a 'over sharpening halo', but in fact it isn't :)

This ticks every box for me, for a start B+W, gritty, moody nice pp, great image for me, well done.

I'd love to get my timings wrong and end up with that shot! Some of the time Black and White doesnt do anything for me but this shot is bang on!
The light hitting that wreck is great.
Thanks for posting that its a great shot Craig

I'd love to get my timings wrong and end up with that shot! Some of the time Black and White doesnt do anything for me but this shot is bang on!
The light hitting that wreck is great.
Thanks for posting that its a great shot Craig
Thanks mate: ) It's all about making the most of what you've got available to you at the time ;)

Cracking B&W, But a tad bit to central for my liking IMHO :)

Thanks for the comment Joe :) This has been photographed to death, and I like to get something a little different. I didn't want all the coast line/rocks to the left in the shot and wanted the main source of light to pull through the middle - Using the 14-24 lets me get extremely close to a subject, but still have lots of width, pulling the viewer in, which for this image is just what I wanted. The rule of thirds is there to be broken and not all images suite it :)

If I'd pulled back, or moved to the right to the pull the wreck to the left, I'd have lost that source of light through the middle, but also the lovely light on the wreck its self, not to mention the details the light the showing :)

Last edited:
Damn site better than I've every got. The long expouure works well as does the conversion.

Cheers.

Thank you... not what I got up at 3am and travelled an hour for, but happy with what I brought home lol.

I like that a lot, very moody and nice with the water level as it is. I popped over there on Friday evening with a friend, we got fog! We visited again on Sunday evening, but the light wasn't great. (Pic on my Flickr).

I like that a lot, very moody and nice with the water level as it is. I popped over there on Friday evening with a friend, we got fog! We visited again on Sunday evening, but the light wasn't great. (Pic on my Flickr).

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. We got lucky with the light, could have been another failed sunrise lol. I had checked the weather and it was touch and go if the Met Office had got the forecast right. Morning sunrise after rains tend to be excellent.

That's a really nice image. I like your mono conversion.the lighting is very atmospheric. Well worth getting up for.

Thank you :) I do have a thing for moody mono's and will go out specifically to shoot them... Much harder than it sounds lol

Craig, I appreciate all the positives here, but I think you have let the blacks go too far, try as I might I think it would be a hard one to print. Some more light in the darkest foreground/wreck shadows is needed. The nab also appears to be oddly distorted.

Hi Horricks, thanks for your comment.

I trust you're looking at it on a fully calibrated monitor? My monitor is and also matches my printer's monitor/printer profiles - Although with an image like this, for print I'll add a little curves adjustment to lift the shadows light if he suggests it. It's basically the look I was after when I took the shot.

If you're viewing this on an iMac, or one of the 27" Apple LED display's, it does look at lot darker (they just can't render the darks very well even when calibrated). Even though I've fully calibrated all my screens, I don't use my 27" screen for any brightness work, that all gets done on one of my 23" cinema displays.

Regarding the Nab, it has a slight lean, which from this particular angle is quite noticeable, certainly not distortion :)

HI trust you're looking at it on a fully calibrated monitor? My monitor is and also matches my printer's monitor/printer profiles - Although with an image like this, for print I'll add a little curves adjustment to lift the shadows light if he suggests it.
Yes, calibrated monitor.

It's basically the look I was after when I took the shot.
Which is all that really matters...

I am sure that the curves adjustment will help. I tend to do the same before printing.

Back