Things to love or hate about cars...

That larger turbo is probably a low pressure design, so it scrolls and boosts lower down, and the smaller high pressure turbo kick in when the revs are higher. Some clever designs out there for modern turbo engines, long gone are the days of the R5 Turbo which was like a kick in the back, but about 3 seconds after your foot was flat to the floor :ROFLMAO:
Mine has a twin scroll turbo. Normal exhaust set ups mean that exhaust gases from one cylinder can end up fighting the exhaust gases from another cylinder creating lag in trying to spin the turbo up. With twin scroll the exhaust from one cylinder is paired with another that it won't be fighting against, allowing the exhaust gases to move freely and preventing lag. It has a similar effect as a twin turbo, but without the complexity, additional weight and obviously the extra room required for such a set up.

Mine has a twin scroll turbo. Normal exhaust set ups mean that exhaust gases from one cylinder can end up fighting the exhaust gases from another cylinder creating lag in trying to spin the turbo up. With twin scroll the exhaust from one cylinder is paired with another that it won't be fighting against, allowing the exhaust gases to move freely and preventing lag. It has a similar effect as a twin turbo, but without the complexity, additional weight and obviously the extra room required for such a set up.

My 330d had a twin scroll turbo and yep, I don't recall any noticeable lag. I do remember reading (and hearing first hand) about complaints from people who mistook Twin Scroll (stamped on the engine cover) for Twin Turbo. A bit of sneaky Bavarian marketing me thinks! lol

Aye I think being variable vane plus the larger capacity engine helps overcome lag, whereas the 2.2 single turbo version apparently has terrible lag coming out of a roundabout. The secondary turbo doesn't come into play until you pass 2800rpm and assists the primary one so it's pretty relentless all through the revs and gears. Incidentally, it's quite common for the secondary turbo actuator to seize up and my theory is that it could be due to owners not getting the revs up whilst driving, probably due to the 8 speed keeping the revs at about 1200rpm on the motorway.

Speaking of big turbos, SAAB is a bit like that with their 2.8 petrol (and previous 900 Turbo). Nothing for a second or two then the world ends! lol

In normal use, the 2.2 isn't too bad but coming from a 3, the smaller engine's a bit busy rather than lazy as well as being a little sluggish off the line. Not sure what the 2 is like - not had one as a courtesy car.

Like hens teeth finding the Sportbrake V8. Doesn't help that it's only in R-S guise and a limited production run. The saloon V8 has to be one of the most affordable modern high power cars about, it's certainly a lot for your money. Shame about the timing chain tensioner issue, too big a risk for me. Plus the coolant pipes in the V8 valley, an 11 hour job! Ouch.

TBH, I wouldn't use the V8 as it deserves to be used, even if I could find one! In real life, the V6 Diesels give plenty and if I feel the need for more acceleration and noise, I'll use a parallel twin...

Aye I think being variable vane plus the larger capacity engine helps overcome lag, whereas the 2.2 single turbo version apparently has terrible lag coming out of a roundabout. The secondary turbo doesn't come into play until you pass 2800rpm and assists the primary one so it's pretty relentless all through the revs and gears. Incidentally, it's quite common for the secondary turbo actuator to seize up and my theory is that it could be due to owners not getting the revs up whilst driving, probably due to the 8 speed keeping the revs at about 1200rpm on the motorway.

Speaking of big turbos, SAAB is a bit like that with their 2.8 petrol (and previous 900 Turbo). Nothing for a second or two then the world ends! lol

I think you get used to driving a turbo. These days, if I'm trying to "make progress", then the rev counter is rarely below 3000 rpm, so it's up and spooling ready to go. Don't half drink the petrol mind....

I think you get used to driving a turbo. These days, if I'm trying to "make progress", then the rev counter is rarely below 3000 rpm, so it's up and spooling ready to go. Don't half drink the petrol mind....
That's a very late knee point if the turbo isn't spooled up and ready to go at a lower engine speed. I would say the turbo is too big.
The knee point on mine is 2000rpm. The 1.0 EcoBoost is at 1400rpm.

I am getting to like the Tourneo, but I wish there was a little more engine noise, obviously not noisy loud, just a little more gruntyness.
I stalled the car twice this morning, and both times it was at the lights, hope I did not annoy the other drivers behind me.

I can't seem to hear the revs, so can't judge how much clutch to let out. I don't seem to be getting that feel either, when you get the bighting point, and you get that certain feel through the car, and you know you have the bighting point. I get no feeling through the car at all, obviously it will take a little more time, to get the feel of the car.

Maybe because of lockdown, I have not had the chance to use the car every day, and for longer journeys. I only use it maybe once a week, and for a short journey to the shop and back. Not like the old days when you got in the car and you went into auto pilot, your left hand would do the gears, and your feet worked in unison, all done without thinking.

Dislike the way on modern cars thing can't be repaired, they have to replace the whole unit...

Our split seat on the Ford Tourneo will not fold back up, it is stuck in the folded down position.
Ford garage said the release link has failed, so the whole seat assembly will have to be replaced.

Ford have had the car for two days, and they say they are trying to get hold of a replacement unit. They say it could be a few weeks wait. :mad:

It is covered under warranty, but being without a car is a pain.

Not sure if this post will get any replies, seeing the Ford person has gone.

Not sure why they have to keep it, it's perfectly useable with the rear seat folded down and that'll be the perfect excuse not to carry extra baggage passengers.

Not sure why they have to keep it, it's perfectly useable with the rear seat folded down and that'll be the perfect excuse not to carry extra baggage passengers.

When all seats are down, the Tourneo carrying space is great. But extra seats for when we have grandchildren and luggage. :)

Dislike the way on modern cars thing can't be repaired, they have to replace the whole unit...
It's not only a car issue. Probably originated from electronics.

This practice cuts down engineering cost and cuts down garage tech training cost. Only downside is generating more waste. So guess which one the bean counters chose.

Our split seat on the Ford Tourneo will not fold back up, it is stuck in the folded down position.
Ford garage said the release link has failed, so the whole seat assembly will have to be replaced.

Ford have had the car for two days, and they say they are trying to get hold of a replacement unit. They say it could be a few weeks wait. :mad:

It is covered under warranty, but being without a car is a pain.

Not sure if this post will get any replies, seeing the Ford person has gone.

Same on my Volvo, stupid Ford engineering! The headlight level linkage has broken - a cheap plastic link arm, that's all. Can only buy the wholesensor assembly which consists of the sensor itself, bracket to attch it to car, the link arm and balljoints and the bottom bracket that attaches to the suspension.

Made up a new link arm from some ball joints and studding, so now it's adjustable too, which by the by will mean I can bypass the on headlight adjustment which doesn't work due to crappy plastic bevel gears that snap out of mesh instead of actually turning and adjusting. ...

On the Mazda version, there is none of this nonsense. It just worked. Although for balance, replacing a headlight was a lot more work than it is on the Volvo.

Same on my Volvo, stupid Ford engineering! The headlight level linkage has broken - a cheap plastic link arm, that's all. Can only buy the wholesensor assembly which consists of the sensor itself, bracket to attch it to car, the link arm and balljoints and the bottom bracket that attaches to the suspension.

Made up a new link arm from some ball joints and studding, so now it's adjustable too, which by the by will mean I can bypass the on headlight adjustment which doesn't work due to crappy plastic bevel gears that snap out of mesh instead of actually turning and adjusting. ...

On the Mazda version, there is none of this nonsense. It just worked. Although for balance, replacing a headlight was a lot more work than it is on the Volvo.

Our Ford does not feel very robust at all, feels like things will break with ease. Stuff no longer built to last. :(

I kept getting an error message telling me that the car was not in "Park", when it was. Of course, this triggered all sorts of other alarms when I switched the engine off. So I had to have a complete new selector assembly, which needed a load of other stuff to be moved out of the way, so it was 7 hours of labour. The actual fault was a spring which would cost 25p on a bad day, but ended up costing me around £270.00 due to all the man hours.

I've kept the old one, just in case it happens again, I have replaced the spring, which means I don't need to spend £164 on a whole new assembly....

I kept getting an error message telling me that the car was not in "Park", when it was. Of course, this triggered all sorts of other alarms when I switched the engine off. So I had to have a complete new selector assembly, which needed a load of other stuff to be moved out of the way, so it was 7 hours of labour. The actual fault was a spring which would cost 25p on a bad day, but ended up costing me around £270.00 due to all the man hours.

I've kept the old one, just in case it happens again, I have replaced the spring, which means I don't need to spend £164 on a whole new assembly....

Absolutely ridiculous, these silly little things on modern cars, that cause so much hassle and cost.

Stupid instrument panel is flashing now, it wants me to top up the adblue, and it only done one thousand miles and about six months old. :mad:

Last edited:
I was half thinking that myself, gone and bought a 5 litre tub. :mad:

I would have had a word with the dealer first, they may have topped it up for you for free. You get plenty of warning before you can't start the car.

Last edited:

lol it's almost a given that when a part fails you will find FoMoCo stamped on it.

Modern tech is great, when it works. If a rear light in my car goes pop then unfortunately it's not a case of simply replacing the bulb..., I have to bend over big time.

I would have had a word with the dealer first, they may have topped it up for you for free. You get plenty of warning before you can't start the car.

I did speak to dealer about it, but he just said the adblue was down to me, I add and pay for it just like fuel. I did ask why it needed topping up so soon, be he simply said it was due to lack of use. I have bought the adblue now, so will add it soon at some point.

I did speak to dealer about it, but he just said the adblue was down to me, I add and pay for it just like fuel. I did ask why it needed topping up so soon, be he simply said it was due to lack of use. I have bought the adblue now, so will add it soon at some point.

At least it's Adblue not Eolys, when that needs topping up you're in for a real treat! (Or rather I am, I intend to top mine up soon!)
lol it's almost a given that when a part fails you will find FoMoCo stamped on it.

Modern tech is great, when it works. If a rear light in my car goes pop then unfortunately it's not a case of simply replacing the bulb..., I have to bend over big time.

Yep! Unfortunately a lot of tech has a short shelf life! My day job gives me ancient FoMoCo scrap iron to deal with as well!

Sounds like the stealer only put a gallon of the stuff in for you. A quick google suggests 6000 miles on a tankful of it.

What he says there doesn't make sense? I would have thought the amount used would be relative to miles driven, whilst also taking into account the type of journeys (i.e. short vs long runs)?

Sounds like the stealer only put a gallon of the stuff in for you. A quick google suggests 6000 miles on a tankful of it.
What he says there doesn't make sense? I would have thought the amount used would be relative to miles driven, whilst also taking into account the type of journeys (i.e. short vs long runs)?

It did cross my mind the adblue was not sufficiently topped up on delivery, but the car did have half a tank of fuel on delivery, so that was a plus. I have already bought adblue now, so just a case of me topping it up.

5litres will only be about 1/4 of the tank, I think. Probably worth getting a (much) bigger bottle next time.

My wife's car cuts out when she stops in a queue of traffic. Fuel efficiency. Normally, when the car infront moves forward she puts her foot on the accelerator and off she goes. She's just discovered that the car 'sees' that the car infront is moving away and the engine starts. I do wonder what we'll discover next. :rolleyes:

5litres will only be about 1/4 of the tank, I think. Probably worth getting a (much) bigger bottle next time.

Car was in garage when I went shopping, could only carry the 5Litre tub with all the shopping.

My wife's car cuts out when she stops in a queue of traffic. Fuel efficiency. Normally, when the car infront moves forward she puts her foot on the accelerator and off she goes. She's just discovered that the car 'sees' that the car infront is moving away and the engine starts. I do wonder what we'll discover next. :rolleyes:
That's rather obvious if you think about it. The likelihood of you also needing to start engine to move forward is very high, so the engine should start when it detects car in front also moves.

The thing I hate about cars is that the bleeding obvious things like these cannot be rolled out as Over-The-Air updates to existing cars with the hardware. One has to buy a new car for such things.

MKBHD, a tech youtuber, recent video on Mercedes EQS raises an excellent point, which is easier to achieve? Building cars with good panel gaps, or achieving vertical integration for a single software to work seamlessly, giving iPhone-like user experience across the board.

That's rather obvious if you think about it. The likelihood of you also needing to start engine to move forward is very high, so the engine should start when it detects car in front also moves.

The thing I hate about cars is that the bleeding obvious things like these cannot be rolled out as Over-The-Air updates to existing cars with the hardware. One has to buy a new car for such things.

MKBHD, a tech youtuber, recent video on Mercedes EQS raises an excellent point, which is easier to achieve? Building cars with good panel gaps, or achieving vertical integration for a single software to work seamlessly, giving iPhone-like user experience across the board.

I've updated my Mini software a couple of time, and I plan to upgrade it to Car Play later this year.

Our silly Ford Tourneo flashes up a warning saying, "Warning Collision Alert!" If a vehicle turns near our car, while we are moving slowly. It can be alarming when it goes off.

This article, dated Saturday May 1st.. is behind a pay wall..The Times..so I've copied the first paragraph. Bad news for those who can afford these high end cars. LV has put up the premiums by 20%.

Models of Range Rover, BMW and Mercedes are being blacklisted by insurers because of a surge in thefts.

Drivers have reported being unable to get cover for high-end versions such as the Range Rover Sport, which costs about £63,000 and has been targeted by criminal gangs.

The vehicles most likely to be barred by some insurers are those with keyless entry systems in cities such as London, where thefts have risen by more than 200 per cent in five years, and Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham, where they have doubled.

This article by Honest John is dated October last year so fairly recent. I find his website very imformative. All the pros and cions of a vehicle.

My wife doesn't think it's obvious atall :D . It's automatic so she had her foot on the brake. I wasn't aware of this technology, either. We seem to find something like this every now and then. We've had the car from new since last October. There's that kind of technology and the so-called infotainment system is something else. They should run courses for it. :D By the time we figure it all out we'll be getting a new one..she hates MOT's so 2023.:)

Last edited:
Like cameras, read the handbook to get the best out of it!

Like cameras, read the handbook to get the best out of it!

Easier said than done Mr N. Reading them tends to frazzle the brain after a while. I'm sure most people wait until they need to know something and can,at least, know which chapter to look at or use the index. It's a bit like the now famous words of Defence Sec. Rumsfeld with his "known knowns.etc..

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

We have a friend who is one of these people who knows a great deal about most things practical.He did all the conversion work on their home in France. He worked for the CAA. I have an ambition to ask him something that he can't give me an answer for...lol. He's just bought the same vehicle himself..the estate version, they've had three and he says he's struggling. The manual has 271 pages and if I read all the way through I'm sure if something came up..like a warning symbol, I'd have to look again at the manual for it even though I'd read it.

There is a saying."If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" :D

I've read that manuals will be phased out between now and 2030. I assume they will be online.

Hate all this Adblue thing, I know it is supposed to help protect the environment.
The car is only about six months old or so, and only done 1500 miles and it is asking for adblue already. It says 384 miles to no engine start, and add at least 3.5 whatever that means. I have just added the adblue, and run the engine for a bit, it is still asking for adblue and still states 384 miles to no engine start.

Looks like the 5 Litres of addblue, did not even touch the sides. :mad:

Hate all this Adblue thing, I know it is supposed to help protect the environment.
The car is only about six months old or so, and only done 1500 miles and it is asking for adblue already. It says 384 miles to no engine start, and add at least 3.5 whatever that means. I have just added the adblue, and run the engine for a bit, it is still asking for adblue and still states 384 miles to no engine start.

Looks like the 5 Litres of addblue, did not even touch the sides. :mad:

That will be your rubbish dealer not filling it prior to you collecting it.

I have done 2,500 miles since picking mine up and no demands for adblu yet.

Looks like I need to top it up with more.

I have just been to my Peugeot dealer and asked him about the adblu mileage before needing a refill and he said 7-8,000 miles.

I then asked what he would charge to refill for me and the answer was £20 no matter how much was needed. Not worth messing about doing it myself I reckon! :)

I have just been to my Peugeot dealer and asked him about the adblu mileage before needing a refill and he said 7-8,000 miles.

I then asked what he would charge to refill for me and the answer was £20 no matter how much was needed. Not worth messing about doing it myself I reckon! :)

The 5 Litre tub cost me £7.50 and it looks like I need another. :mad:

Back