weekly Thirsty's TP 52 challenge for 2017 - Weeks 43 & 44 Added

Hey Nigel - good catch up and spot on for both themes. I like the "distressed" look of the hammer head and the compo for Song. Quite a well stocked on spices I see - the DoF makes the fg stand-out. I suppose the other way would have been for a letterbox crop !?!?

I like the focus on the face in the hammer shot and the b&w focuses attention on the textures nicely - I'm finding the bag a bit of a distraction though? I'm with Susie about maybe colour for the spices,but they do look great all lined up.

Week 1 certainly fits the theme and good song choice as well, good placement of the hammer and the nails, my only little niggle is I do find the bag in the left of the image distracting. And week 2 certainly fits the theme, those spices are all nicely lined up in a orderly fashion, 2 very good images to kick start your challenge off with.

Hi Nigel, good start.

I'm another not sure about the nail bag, but minor point.

Those Tesco square jars line up well, I bet that cupboard's never looked so tidy. :D

Two great photos, bang on theme and they both work very well in B&W.

Hi Nigel
Week 0 - Nicely on theme. Purely my personal preference, but I would have shifted the histogram a bit to the right to add some white points.
Week 1 - Similar comment on the white point. Was there a possibility of throwing the background more oof, I find myself looking to the background more than the subject. Perhaps a tighter crop , making the image look like a pano, would remove the background sufficiently? Dunno, something to experiment with anyway. :)

Hey Nigel - good catch up and spot on for both themes. I like the "distressed" look of the hammer head and the compo for Song. Quite a well stocked on spices I see - the DoF makes the fg stand-out. I suppose the other way would have been for a letterbox crop !?!?

Thanks Carl, think your right a tight crop might of worked better, also maybe on color too as others have said.

Hi Nigel ...you're up and running....that's good :)

Really like the b&w for the hammer photo, it adds that gritty feel, I'm in two minds about the spices, I tend to think they work better in colour but the way they're all lined up it does work well.

Susie, I think your right I had a play and it does seem better in colour and a tighter crop

I like the focus on the face in the hammer shot and the b&w focuses attention on the textures nicely - I'm finding the bag a bit of a distraction though? I'm with Susie about maybe colour for the spices,but they do look great all lined up.

Thanks Emma, think your right on both counts :).

Nice shots Nigel, like the focus on the hammer and nails good shot. On the spice bottles they look good and clear and good focus again and catch up too :)

Thanks Dave

Week 1 certainly fits the theme and good song choice as well, good placement of the hammer and the nails, my only little niggle is I do find the bag in the left of the image distracting. And week 2 certainly fits the theme, those spices are all nicely lined up in a orderly fashion, 2 very good images to kick start your challenge off with.

Thanks Mandy, you picked up what the others were saying and think your right :)

Two lovely black and white shots, Nigel.

Hammer Time; very apt for the song. Like the composition of the hammer and nails but not 100% sure about the bag though.

Order; very neatly aligned and in alphabetic order too. Like to see a bit more space at the top with some breathing space for the bottle top.

Thanks Stan, a common theme on the feedback on the images :).

Hi Nigel, good start.

I'm another not sure about the nail bag, but minor point.

Those Tesco square jars line up well, I bet that cupboard's never looked so tidy. :D

Hi David, your right the cupboard has never been so tidy :).

Two great photos, bang on theme and they both work very well in B&W.

Thanks Bernd.

Hi Nigel
Week 0 - Nicely on theme. Purely my personal preference, but I would have shifted the histogram a bit to the right to add some white points.
Week 1 - Similar comment on the white point. Was there a possibility of throwing the background more oof, I find myself looking to the background more than the subject. Perhaps a tighter crop , making the image look like a pano, would remove the background sufficiently? Dunno, something to experiment with anyway. :)

Thanks for you comments Tim, seems everyone was of a similar thought :).

Yeah, Comfort needs warming up I think, the high key feel make sit feel cold.

Good spot for hairy.

I think comfort looks ok exposure and whites

nice take on hairy works well

May have been a struggle but you came up trumps for Comfort - very cosy. Novel shot for Hairy too.

Both photos nicely composed. I really like the details and the DoF in the fluff and barbed wire shot.

My first visit to your thread this year, well done so far.

#0 - Good choice for the song and I like the way one of the nails is lined up like it's ready to be hit.
#1 - good idea and nicely lined up, I think I would have cropped the top off a bit as at the moment the bottles on the right are a bit distracting.
#2 - you may have struggled with the theme but you have come up with a good concept and photo, looks very comfy snuggled up.
#3 - Like the DOF and detail in the hair.

Comfort ... a cuddly toy in the bedclothes ... not always easy to pull off ... this works for me. (y)

Hairy ... barbed wire with OOF BG generally makes for a good image ... with wool attached: works a treat. (y)

Comfort is a nice shot and goes well in mono but maybe darken the whites a bit :) Hairy is a shot I see all the time on our walks up on the Downs, hair and other stuff on the barb wire :)

Thanks David, played around with whites a lot before posting still wasn't 100% sure with it :)

Yeah, Comfort needs warming up I think, the high key feel make sit feel cold.

Good spot for hairy.

Tried that but the white's didn't work, think I needed another color in there really.

Cute take on comfort - I think I might prefer a colour version. I do like your hairy shot - nicely framed.

Thanks Emma, tried the colour but didnt really work for me.

I think comfort looks ok exposure and whites

nice take on hairy works well

Thanks Allan.

They both work fine Nigel, certainly cosy looking with that toy dog in bed, and the barbed wire with he snagged 'stuff' is nicely composed, cool background too :)

Thanks DK, you must of liked it posted twice :).

May have been a struggle but you came up trumps for Comfort - very cosy. Novel shot for Hairy too.

Thanks Carl, was happy with hairy and a nice find whilst I was out walking.

Both photos nicely composed. I really like the details and the DoF in the fluff and barbed wire shot.

Thanks Bernd.

I like both Comfort and Hairy. The compositions are good and both work really well for the theme.

Love the cute little toy snuggled up in bed ...I like it just as it is.
Hairy ...I keep seeing all these good ideas and wishing I'd thought of them ...it works really well for the theme, I would have been tempted to clone out the bright bit.

Thanks Susie, sure we have those moments when looking through the thread say wish I'd thought of that. :). Think you might be right about the bit of sky at the top thou.

My first visit to your thread this year, well done so far.

#0 - Good choice for the song and I like the way one of the nails is lined up like it's ready to be hit.
#1 - good idea and nicely lined up, I think I would have cropped the top off a bit as at the moment the bottles on the right are a bit distracting.
#2 - you may have struggled with the theme but you have come up with a good concept and photo, looks very comfy snuggled up.
#3 - Like the DOF and detail in the hair.

Thanks for popping by Steve and thanks for your comments, re #1 that seemed to be a common comment :).

Comfort ... a cuddly toy in the bedclothes ... not always easy to pull off ... this works for me. (y)

Hairy ... barbed wire with OOF BG generally makes for a good image ... with wool attached: works a treat. (y)

Thanks David.

Hi Nigel.
Comfort - Quite a high key vibe to the image which works. I might have placed the little fells on the left so as to give him room to look across the image.
Hairy - Sharp, to the point (and that's just the barb ;)). You've positioned the subject well to keep the wire and wool in the focal plane and nicely blurred out the background. :)

Hi Nigel.
Comfort - Quite a high key vibe to the image which works. I might have placed the little fells on the left so as to give him room to look across the image.
Hairy - Sharp, to the point (and that's just the barb ;)). You've positioned the subject well to keep the wire and wool in the focal plane and nicely blurred out the background. :)

Thanks Tim.

Comfort - works for the theme, I think I might have turned the toy round a bit. so the eyes were looking at the camera.

Hairy - simple but works well.

Smooth - Image is a bit noisy looking, like the B&W suits the image.

I don't mind a bit of noise, nicely composed could do with a little clean, good image though

Nice sharp focus on the earpiece and subtle reflected light to define the contours.

I like the noisiness, works well with the B&W conversion.

Quite noisy but I don't mind that, nice idea and works well in black and white

Back