This is about ink… and printers

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Reminds of Canon with FD and EF lenses :)

Boring video giving information that is already around.

Have no idea what manufacturers make in margin but would be surprised if the figures haven't been exaggerated.

In terms of retail when I worked in retail about 4/5 years ago one of the internal computer systems gave visibility of margin. Printer hardware on average made 10-12% margin, ink made around 30-40% margin depending on the manufacturer.

The one exception to this was Kodak. On Kodak ink the margin level only ran at 15% but the cost of this ink to Joe Public was a lot less than the other manufacturers however the hardware was terrible with a much higher failure rate than the other brands.

In retail, prices always reflect what the customer wants to pay. People like expensive things - look at how many people buy Canon L lenses! Dropping the price tells buyers that the quality is not so good. I found this when I had a nursery and failed entirely to sell top quality orchids at 1/4 of the price the garden centres were charging. I was told by another nurseryman to increase my prices if I wanted to sell. Instead of 25% of my competitors' prices, I raised my prices to be 80% of my competitors' prices and sold out in a couple of days.

Another thing you learn when retailing is that you have to worry about your margin on total turnover. Somethings do not sell at all (plants die!) and that cost has to be covered by the profit on the things that do sell. With printers and ink, there are development costs to be met - development of what you are buying and also development of the commercial failures.

What a load of sizzle, I'm still using a Canon pixma pro 9000 that I've had years. Plugged it in my Mac for the first time this week and had no problems at all. Then plugged it into my PC and 5 minutes later it works on that too although I'm still running Windows 7.

I only retired my HP LaserJet 2100 that I salvaged from a skip 15 years ago because I wanted a colour laser, it was a shame to dispose of it because although it squeeked badly it still printed.

After spending a week at Canon and HP about 10 years ago I know there's more to genuine inks than just a bit of plastic a chip and a drop of ink. Quality of ink and consistency are the biggest factors, plus vacuum filling and packaging to keep out minute air bubbles that cause ink lock and blockages.

Do I agree they are overpriced hell yes, but that video is complete bull5hit.

Last edited:
Back