This week I have treated myself...............

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
to a Canon i9950 A3 photo printer, and it came today...:D

Big is beautiful...:smilenod:

I saw some A3 samples last week and to say the very least they were JAW DROPPING...:shock:

I just had to buy one...:D

No paper supplied but I have some Canon PP-101 High Gloss Paper on its way..:woot:

canon-i9950-1.jpg

8-inks.jpg

:O Go on then, what was the damage? :D

Marcel said:
:O Go on then, what was the damage? :D

Product Description Quantity Price Ea. Total
==============================================================================
CANI9950 CANON I9950 A3+ 8 COLOUR 1 325.99 325.99
BUBBLEJET PRINTER
Mfg Part #: 8580A011AA

Miscellaneous: 0.00
Subtotal of Goods: 325.99
Shipping: 10.99
VAT: 58.97
Purchase Total: 395.95

I have a HP1220C from work that prints A3. Not tried a photo yet. Still wondering what the hell to do with it - like all A3 printers it is huge!

Think it will have to stay in the garage and just plug it into the laptop if I want to use it. :ponders:

Eight inks :shock: How much will it cost to fill up? Taking orders for prints? Still it's a lovely machine.

regards

busterboy said:
to a Canon i9950 A3 photo printer, and it came today...:D

Big is beautiful...:smilenod:

I saw some A3 samples last week and to say the very least they were JAW DROPPING...:shock:

I just had to buy one...:D

No paper supplied but I have some Canon PP-101 High Gloss Paper on its way..:woot:

I have a 19950 is a great printer. Can be quite expensive to run. 7dayshop are about the cheapest for ink. or you could buy an ink flow system. There expensive to buy but you'll recoup the money back in about what it would cost for about 4 complete cartridge changes.

Hmmmmmmmmm your always having treats.....it's not fair i tell you :hissyfit:

Hope it's as good as you want it to be, the box states an A3 in 65seconds......thats impressive :woot: My Epson 950 has just about done the first ¼ of an A4 in that time.

/adds buster to to list of large format foto printers :D

stepheno said:
Eight inks :shock: How much will it cost to fill up? Taking orders for prints? Still it's a lovely machine.

regards

£39.49p plus £3.99 postage will buy you 32 ink carts. Thats 4 full sets of 8 cartridges which is quite economical in my book for a quality printer, I did some research on ink before I bought it.:whistle2:

I have now received 4 full sets from this supplier below..:clap:

Link to eBay for cheap ink...:thumb:

Nice, I fancy an a3 printer and that seems a good price!

Yes how bizarre, I was kicking myself tonight when I read their prices.

I paid £395 for mine less than a week ago which was the cheapest in the UK.

The story of my life..:hissyfit:

None in stock at The Digital Camera Company but ordered on request so you should be ok.:)

PS: Have plenty of room to put it, It is a big unit..:shock:

busterboy said:
PS: Have plenty of room to put it, It is a big unit..:shock:

I'm used to a big unit! :D :getmecoat

Mr THX said:
That'll be the sideboard you have the family silver on CT :smilenod:

I know what he means...
nono.gif
you norty boy Cedric...:laugh1:

That's actually the printer i'm after!

Do us a little review when you have time pal, if that's ok.

Cheers

BB - checked the site where you bought your carts and the prices seem very low. I'd appreciate your comments on print quality using their inks. TIA.

regards

stepheno said:
BB - checked the site where you bought your carts and the prices seem very low. I'd appreciate your comments on print quality using their inks. TIA.

regards

Well stepheno I can update this thread now as I have printed about 10 borderless pictures tonight in both A3 and A3+ sizes (with Canon's original ink it came with) I will report back on the compatibles when I get to using them.;)

These pictures I have printed out tonight are far beyond any quality I could have imagined...:woot: Jaw dropping to say the least..:shock:

To have a 7Mb picture blown up to this size the detail has left me totally gobsmacked. I have now ordered a nice leather portfolio to show my images in as the house would soon be wall to wall A3 pictures hanging shots this size.:whistle2:
Paper used was Canon's own PR-101 Super High Gloss.:)

My verdict is a full 10/10 with no drawbacks what so ever other than the price of the printer to buy..:sadcry:

Edited To say I didn't bother using the USB2 Cable but opted to use the FireWire cable instead.
Very fast indeed..:)

Congratulations - TBH sounds inline with most of the reviews I have read;)

I so want one, to be able to print your own A3 is pretty good, as occasional as it maybe it would be a luxury worth having:thumb:

Any idea on how many A3 prints you'll get out of a set of inks?

dlh said:
Any idea on how many A3 prints you'll get out of a set of inks?

To be honest mate I have printed 9 pictures at A3 size and this is what the status monitor is telling me..:ponders:

Make your own mind up as to whether its telling lies..:ponders:

printer-status.jpg

Don't know if this helps but its lifted straight off the Canon site...

Black ink tank life
210 pages at 5% coverage¹
1100 pages (printing ISO/JIS-SCID N5 image)²

Colour ink tank(s) life
210 pages at 5% coverage per ink tank¹
Cyan: 1100 pages, Magenta: 790 pages, Yellow: 540 pages, Photo Cyan: 380 pages, Photo Magenta: 280 pages, Red: 2300 pages, Green: 2300 pages (printing ISO/JIS-SCID N5 image)¹

Black ink tank life
¹ All figures are approximate and quoted for A4 media. For reference only: black calculation based on printing 1500 characters normal text in Standard Mode on plain paper with Windows XP.
² For reference only: based on printing the ISO/JIS-SCID N5 pattern in Standard Mode on plain paper with Windows XP.

Colour ink tank(s) life
¹ All figures are approximate and quoted for A4 media. For reference only: based on printing the ISO/JIS-SCID N5 pattern in Standard Mode on plain paper with Windows XP.

Or if you want to look at detailed spec's = http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Bubble_Jet/i9950/index.asp?specs=1

Thanks. I'm quite impressed by that.

dlh said:
Thanks. I'm quite impressed by that.

Not as impressed as I am..:D

You could say I did a little reading before ordering one myself :whistle2:

Used the Colour ink life information to give me an idea of whether some inks would run out quicker than others :ponders: TBH I think I'm going to just order another full set of Canon inks so I have a spare set in.

I'm buying this printer to fullfill the need of reasonable sized quality prints which can be sold so I'm going to stick with the original Canon ink. Found them at a very resonable price from here http://www.inkraider.co.uk/

Mr THX said:
TBH I think I'm going to just order another full set of Canon inks so I have a spare set in.

Found them at a very resonable price from here http://www.inkraider.co.uk/

Nice find mate, just ordered a set myself after you posted that link..:thumb:

Mr THX said:
You could say I did a little reading before ordering one myself :whistle2:

Used the Colour ink life information to give me an idea of whether some inks would run out quicker than others :ponders: TBH I think I'm going to just order another full set of Canon inks so I have a spare set in.

I'm buying this printer to fullfill the need of reasonable sized quality prints which can be sold so I'm going to stick with the original Canon ink. Found them at a very resonable price from here http://www.inkraider.co.uk/

If it helps, there about 50P a cartridge cheaper from 7dayshop.

Just noticed that inkraiders delivery charge is less than 7dayshop

ASH said:
If it helps, there about 50P a cartridge cheaper from 7dayshop.

Doesn't really - As I'm claiming the VAT back on the ones from Ink Raider making them about £5

7 Day Shop is a £5.50 VAT free price ......

busterboy said:
£39.49p plus £3.99 postage will buy you 32 ink carts. Thats 4 full sets of 8 cartridges which is quite economical in my book for a quality printer, I did some research on ink before I bought it.:whistle2:

I have now received 4 full sets from this supplier below..:clap:

Link to eBay for cheap ink...:thumb:

Noticed these are non-Canon Inks. I saw a test on the "Click" BBC News pgm where they tested Manufacturers ink vs 4-5 compatible inks. Some were very poor & others got somewhere close, but the big difference was how the compatibles faded in sunlight, whereas the mfctrs stayed as original. Just for awareness.

Nice printer btw.....saves on wallpapering the house when you get all those prints hung ;)

I bought a really nice Canon PIXMA iP5200 A4 printer the other week as well. Really impressed with the quality @ 9600dpi. Have been using Illford smooth gloss paper and the results really are stunning.

Now I just need to find a cheap source for frames :ponders:

evilowl said:
I bought a really nice Canon PIXMA iP5200 A4 printer the other week as well. Really impressed with the quality @ 9600dpi. Have been using Illford smooth gloss paper and the results really are stunning.

I only this week bought some A3+ Ilford Gallerie Classic Pearl Paper which also gives superb results but the Canon Super High gloss is in the premiership division for results IMO..;)

evilowl please do me a favour, Just try some PR-101 Super high gloss in your new printer the next time you order some paper and let me know what you think..;)
I am completly blown away with the results and can't stop printing today..:shock:

I can honestly say I have bought my last Epson printer after the banding troubles I had with my recent 2 R200s..:(

IMO Canon have a real winner with their latest models now with stunning picture quality and ready available aftermarket inks for the consumer..:)

Also new print heads can be replaced inside a minute with Canon's units making it easy for the likes of me to replace, Unlike the Epson where I wouldnt have a clue where to start...:ponders:

evilowl said:
Now I just need to find a cheap source for frames :ponders:

I have spent the morning browsing the web for these in A3 and A3+ sizes.:smilenod:
I know Matalan have A4 budget size frames but finding a local A3 supplier is proving difficult at the moment..:whistle2:

Please post back on here if you find a supplier..:)

Ikea :)
I would have suggested them anyway, but we were at the Warrington branch last night, and their stock seems to have increased quite a bit :)

busterboy said:
I only this week bought some A3+ Ilford Gallerie Classic Pearl Paper which also gives superb results but the Canon Super High gloss is in the premiership division for results IMO..;)

evilowl please do me a favour, Just try some PR-101 Super high gloss in your new printer the next time you order some paper and let me know what you think..;)
I am completly blown away with the results and can't stop printing today..:shock:
Yeah I got a small sample pack of 5x7 Canon super high gloss free with the printer and like you say it's excellent. My printer came with a gift voucher for £40 quid's worth of Canon paper so needless to say I will be redeeming that and trying the A4 stuff they send through.

The Ilford stuff I bought is really nice though, it is slightly textured which is great for black and white photos.
busterboy said:
I can honestly say I have bought my last Epson printer after the banding troubles I had with my recent 2 R200s..:(

IMO Canon have a real winner with their latest models now with stunning picture quality and ready available aftermarket inks for the consumer..:)

Also new print heads can be replaced inside a minute with Canon's units making it easy for the likes of me to replace, Unlike the Epson where I wouldnt have a clue where to start...:ponders:
I must admit that you're right here. I have always been dubious of photo printing quality at consumer level but I'm blown away by the results of this one. Wish I could have afforded the one you went for but to be honest the amount of pictures I want to print at A3 size will probably work out cheaper getting them done over the net or at Jessops etc.

busterboy said:
I have spent the morning browsing the web for these in A3 and A3+ sizes.:smilenod:
I know Matalan have A4 budget size frames but finding a local A3 supplier is proving difficult at the moment..:whistle2:

Please post back on here if you find a supplier..:)
I have already spent 60 quid on two lovely oak frames from Habitat, but I will check out Hobbycraft and Ikea as well, cheers guys.

Anyone got any advice for mounting and framing? I'm off to buy some black and white card from an art shop later along with a sharp craft knife :D

Back