Thornton Abbey ruins

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so this is the Church in Alkborough not the Abbey :)
Aukborough-Church.jpg

Thornton Abbey Entrance
Abbey_Entrance.jpg

Gatehouse Door
Gatehouse-Door.jpg

Rear of the Gatehouse
Gatehouse-wideshot-2.jpg

The Chapter House
Chapter-House.jpg

It's amazing what you find on your own doorstep, I've lived all my life no more than 30 miles from these ruins and I never knew they were there :)

That looks a fantastic place to visit.
The amount of detail still 'there', as shown in your 'Abbey Entrance' shot...

I love stuff like this. When I went to Fountains Abbey, even though I got there late, I was amazed by what I saw,.....and I only 'did' the main abbey bit.

Will have a google for at Thornton Abbey. Thanks for sharing!

There are loads of gargoyles hidden away on the ruins, the odd Green Man carving too. Here is a 100% crop of the front of the gatehouse, not a good image but it shows the kind of detail on the buildings themselves.

Gatehouse-Decorations.jpg

It's only 30 miles from me so if you decide to visit some time drop me a line and I'll tag along. If you go on a Sunday you can gain access to the interior of the gatehouse apparently so I'll have to go back and look around again.

The first shot in particular (the chapter house) is incredible.

Just up my street this kind of stuff!

Coo, all cos a King wanted a divorce! Well, they'd be whole buildings if he didn't!

Good shots, love the detail.

The first shot in particular (the chapter house) is incredible.

Just up my street this kind of stuff!

Yes I agree, You have brought out the best in these shots with good compostition, great contrast and colour.:)

Thanks guys, you won't believe how many attepts I had at exposing the Gatehouse Door before I got the look I was after, it didn't help that the Sun kept dodging behind the clods everytime I thought I'd got my exposure right.

Back