Three from this week in Glencoe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally summer is here. It's no secret it's my favourite time of year so it was high time I headed out to enjoy the fine weather. It's still a little brown on the Moors so I chose compositions around this.

First up is a lovely little fall on the River Coe - very little light about but the sky was interesting and the trees have finally turned green. Not quite green enough yet for Torren Lochan - some of the folliage still looks a little thin but we are well on our way :D

It was a tad windy so I avoided any long exposures to ensure there was no motion in the tree.

_DSC1612 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Next up - one of the stillest mornings I can ever recall. It would have been perfect for Lochan na h-Achlaise but the brown...yuck. I tend to shoot this bit a lot - the grass turns green here earlier but the sky was too bland low down so my standard composition was a no go. I went further back to another waterpool and got this. These lovely green grasses and still water- joy personified.

_DSC4165 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Another evening and I took another tilt at the River Coe. This time the sky was a little bland but a break of light came through about 90 minutes before sunset.

_DSC1659 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It was a bit breezy so no long exposure. I waited around for the sunset in the off chance there was some colour - there wasn't but it was lovely and warm and just a joy to be out and about.

1st looks a little soft mid-way back but viewed on Flickr it's completely different, the site is degrading it here.

I’m not keen on the river shots, the composition isn’t clear and it looks a bit drab in my view. I like the reflection shot though, we always want more cloud but actually this works really well with just a bit of wispy stuff. I think that would work well as a print.

I’m not keen on the river shots, the composition isn’t clear and it looks a bit drab in my view. I like the reflection shot though, we always want more cloud but actually this works really well with just a bit of wispy stuff. I think that would work well as a print.

I am ok with them - but I can see your point.

I like the clouds but I envisage this second shot with clouds from an earlier trip.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/glencoe-sunrise-one-from-a-recent-workshop.695709/

I can see the fourth shot in that thread - composed like the reflection in this thread. I was running a workshop so didn't want to faff around trying a composition I hadn't done before with a client keen to move on to another spot. That's one for later this summer :D

Last edited:
Back