#ThrowbackThursday - lets see yours!

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Throwback Thursday is rather popular on social media at the moment, especially twitter, so as we are a photography forum, I am thinking we should do our own.

The idea is to post an old photo and in our case, tell it's story and/or why it's significant or special to you. I know Matt started a similar thread specific to the macro section HERE but I think we should all get to play :D The photo can be any age, from really old to perhaps just last year, choice is yours, just tell us the story.

So, I'll start and if you want to join in, get posting.

So, this is my other half, known to you all as @Yves Geza, when 'e were but a wee lad, playing with daddy's Kodak Duoflex. I scanned this from a slide a year or two ago, the photo was taken, we think, with a Kodak Retinette - and better still, we still own both cameras.

#throwbackthursday
by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

I know I could run it through PS and repair the scratches and stuff and will at some point.

just for reference, here is me being daft with the same camera and the Retinette I think the photo was taken with

Me and My Dog in a Box

kodak retinette1b

What a great Idea - I'll have a mooch through the big box of negatives before next week and see what I can come up with...

ETA: I thought we'd "got there already" over in F&C... (though there are some who would argue it's ThrowbackEveryday in there ;)) - but I finally found the link as it's been a little quiet recently

Last edited:
OK, seems like a good idea so I'll throw one in and see if we can get any older than this.

My Great Grandparents outside their grocers in Hanley taken I believe in 1900.

Smarts outside shop circa 1900_edited-1
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

My g-grandmum Selena was a lovely woman whom I met a few times before she died at the age of 92 but she was a bit of a soft touch when it came to a sob story. They eventually had to shut the business because so many of the locals owed her money and never paid they they were going broke.

Andy

Oh, and if anyone tells you they never saw a banana before the war.....what are those things hanging up in the window then. :D

Okay, as promised, I had a bit of a dig around in the big box of old negatives...

My contribution to #throwbackthursday is a couple of shots from my Trip to the Alps back in 1982. We'd been in Chamonix all of 4 days when my friend Martin had the bright idea of tagging along with a couple of lads in the next tent on their next couple of days climbing. It wasn't the best idea he'd ever had, seeing as their next couple of days involved a nice little climb up Mont Blanc. I should add we were reasonably fit, strong, and half decent climbers so it wasn't really quite as mad as it sounded, however with absolutely no acclimatisation and off the back of a 30 hour coach journey on the "Magic Bus" we weren't exactly firing on all cylinders.

I actually made it to the top of the hill, 2 days and a rather unpleasant first alpine hut experience later, sadly Martin got to within 100 vertiical yards of the top and simply couldn't take another step. In best "Top Gear" style, I untied from him and nipped up the last bit, taking both his and my camera and running 2 entire rolls of film in each.

Sadly, these films were stolen from our tent before we could send them home for processing, so i've no actual record shots of the climb. What I did have however are a couple of shots of the post-climb celebration...

Thats me in the natty blue plus-two's and the silly neckerchief. I know. I was 19 and stupid, and on my second large bottle of bierre, and tired.

but not quite as tired as Martin...

serves him right for dragging me up that big hill...

Both shots were taken on my Praktica MTL3 using Fuji Reala 100. Sadly, not only did the photographs from the top of Mont Blanc not make it home, neither did the MTL3. It had been my first real SLR camera, and had given 3 years of not particularly reliable service (it was apparently a "post-vodka-break" production version and pretty much shredded every 5th roll of film. Hence the shooting 2 entire rolls on the top of Mt. Blanc!) but it didn't deserve the end it came to. A week or so later, whilst on a rather more technically demanding climb, it fell from the Bivi Ledge I was sitting on, it's first point of contact being over 500m vertical from the ledge, second bounce and it opened spewing film and clockwork bits everywhere and eventually embedded itself in a Glacier around a mile away from it's launchpoint.

On the upside, my Dad wired me the money to buy a replacement - a Canon AE-1 program, which set me on the route to my current setup. Which pretty much is the reason why I chose these shots for this thread.

Right, here is mine for today.

Today, my youngest daughter Beth [known as Bratney] turns 20, which means I am no longer the mother of teenagers - which is yet another addition to the list of 'Things That Make You Feel Old'. So I looked back 10 years to some of my oldest digital photos from 2004 and found this one, when she 10 years old. [might go back through the film stuff for baby stuff if I get chance later, but got busy, bitty day, so might not get chance today] We had gone on a cruise holiday around the Med with my sister and her family, one of the very relaxed Ocean Village ships, so for two weeks we barely saw the kids as the onboard entertainment for them was brilliant. This is Beth with her cousin Zach, being pirates.

Edit: This is the most recent photo of her i have to hand btw, taken late last year - not changed too much ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 8471
Well just for fun I've pulled this one off Facebook, it's me :D taken while I was doing my GCSEs in the weeks break in the middle of the exams I went over to Ireland for a little bit of fishing with my Dad who had travelled over a few days prior...this is me with my first ever Salmon caught on the Blackwater, Careysville House Beat

That's a helluva fish Matt (y)

Thanks Yvonne, Was my first ever salmon, I caught my second the day after, I only found out after a few weeks that all the guys had given up their turns to fish the best spot on the beat to allow me to fish there for the three days I was there :)

Awww that's nice of them :)
Did it taste nice?

View attachment 8486

This was me in 1999. Proud daddy for the first time. 22 years old and this was with my daughter Jennifer, who's 15 in two weeks!

I just though I'd add a second one from/off me for today this is a very young me and before anyone suggests otherwise I'm not the one in pink, looking at you @Cobra :p
Pink? Pink? where's pink?

My mad GSP, "Luna eclipse"
Trying out her camouflage to stalk up on game.
Epic fail :D

(She died a year ago this week. RIP Luna(tic))

Last edited:
Oh bless her, RIP lovely Luna
Actually she was a great worker, this was one of her "mad moments" of which there
were many though :)

Took quite a few shots of the air ambulance arriving at Cadwell park BSB round to pick up an injured rider. At the time you don't think that the rider is too badly injured and just snap away recording the scene, later that day I find that Chris Jones had died due to injuries caused in the accident at the start of the race. I had quite a good view of the start of the race from the large grass hill side including the incident with Chris and I always donate to the CJ riders fund when I go to Cadwell.

Air Ambulance
by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Awww that's nice of them :)
Did it taste nice?

View attachment 8486

This was me in 1999. Proud daddy for the first time. 22 years old and this was with my daughter Jennifer, who's 15 in two weeks!

Very nice indeed..

Love that...sure she will be suitable unimpressed at a baby photo getting online at nearly 15 :eek:

My mad GSP, "Luna eclipse"
Trying out her camouflage to stalk up on game.
Epic fail :D

(She died a year ago this week. RIP Luna(tic))

Love it even if a sadness to it still :(

A photo of me and my 2 cousins taken by my dad in 1968 with his brand new Olympus TRIP 35, he was a keen photographer just like me and loved cutting feet and arms off lol, i am 99% certain it's Piccadilly gardens Manchester.

I'm on the right by the way ;)

I took this shot back in waaaaay back :whistle:...in 2009. He belonged to a friend of my girlfriend, and lived on a stable yard where we used to keep our horses. This little fella was put on a small stack of straw bales and I happened to have my camera with me. I posted it on my Flickr, and a few weeks later was contatced by someone at 'What Digital Camera' magazine who said that they would like to use it as part of a Martin Evening masterclass. So, it was the first photo I ever had printed in a magazine.

3884505277_7b75254147_z.jpg

Talking in mi TP'52 of motorbikes has reminded mi of this photo , taken of mi in 1977 I think, give or take a year, on an old BSA Batam trails bike I had. Surrounded by moorland full of old quarries, there was plenty of places to ride it ( how times have changed :rolleyes:)

I remember it being a bit of a PITA though, it would shear woodruff key's for fun :banghead: I became a dab hand at making mi own from thick washers. Looking back now, I can only presume it needed the fly wheel re-lapping back onto the tapered crank shaft seating,:thinking:

I really can't remember for what reason the photo was took, I'm in mi school uniform so I must have just got home, I wasn't aloud out to ride it without getting changed, so why I'm not changed and ready to go before the photo I don't know :confused: Mi uniform must have been smarter than mi playing out clothes :LOL:

BSA Bantam
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

It's #throwbackthursday again :)

Another from the big box of old photos - and another couple of rarities...

Even as a Kid I hated having my photo taken, and quickly realised that the best way to avoid having to pose for the obligatory photo's on holiday (bear in mind, back then, most rolls of film had a christmas tree on the first and last frames, and a load of deckchairs and sand in the middle.)

So - here's a rarity - two shots of me on holiday... The first one in my customary grumpy pose, wishing I was behind the camera...

and the second one, with me finding something to do while my Dad faffed about with the camera... and yes, that is my Mothers bottle of milk stout I'm sneaking a drink of ;)

Both shot back in something like 1973, on Kodak B&W film, the first in Peasholme Park, Scarborough, the second outside a pub in Scalby Mills which iirc is probably where the Sea Life Centre is now situated.

Mark they are lovely, but better still, they remind me of some family photos, long ago lost [another story entirely] of a holiday we had in great yarmouth in 1976, that very hot summer. We spent most of it in the old Lido pool on the seafront and it looked just like the pub you are outside of! Admittedly, we didn't need coats or wooly jumpers that summer :LOL:

Anyway, here is mine - only going back as far as 2008 this time - this was my first attempt at both panning and lens zoom at the same time to try and make this Edwardian car, that was doing about 4mph, look like it was going quickly. I loved it at the time and I'm still rather fond of it now, but the real reason is that I decided to use something from the very first page of my Flickr account and this one appealed. ;)

Last edited:
That is bloody fantastic Yv, what a stuperb effect :)

I've been looking for some old photos but have not found them yet :( so for now I'll give one of my grandparents on my dads side, there wedding day, that I scanned a couple of weeks back some will have already seen them sorry

HFA016_WEB
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

And this is my Grandad on my mums side

William "Billy" Henry Lane
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

This is my Grandad, who passed away when I was only 8 years old so I never really knew him. It's really unfortunate that I don't have any of his photos as he was a really keen photographer, according to my family I inherited not only his passion for photography but also an identical facial expression when shooting.

Matt, those are lovely. There is something very oddly comforting about looking at photos of your ancestors, knowing they are related to you, but taken before you were ever around...and then wondering whether your descendents will do the same thing, look at photos of you, noting the family resemblance and wondering what sort of person you were. (y)

This is my Grandad, who passed away when I was only 8 years old so I never really knew him. It's really unfortunate that I don't have any of his photos as he was a really keen photographer, according to my family I inherited not only his passion for photography but also an identical facial expression when shooting.

Ben we can see that facial expression similarity just from your avatar, it's uncanny!! :jawdrop:

Matt, those are lovely. There is something very oddly comforting about looking at photos of your ancestors, knowing they are related to you, but taken before you were ever around...and then wondering whether your descendents will do the same thing, look at photos of you, noting the family resemblance and wondering what sort of person you were. (y)

There really is although I also find myself wondering more about there lives I'm somewhat ashamed at how little of my family history I know :(

It was only a couple of weeks ago I found my Grandma' name on my dads side, it's a bit odd really on both sides my Grandma was a Nora and my Grandads were both William Henry :eek: how mad is that

Mark they are lovely, but better still, they remind me of some family photos, long ago lost [another story entirely] of a holiday we had in great yarmouth in 1976, that very hot summer. We spent most of it in the old Lido pool on the seafront and it looked just like the pub you are outside of! Admittedly, we didn't need coats or wooly jumpers that summer :LOL:

Ah yes, the summer of '76 - remember it well - don't think I spent more than a couple of days at home through the whole "big holiday" from school - Went on one holiday with my friends family, came home, set off for 2 weeks camping holiday on the bikes, home on the friday and away again for a fortnight with my family (returning the favour and taking my mate along for the trip) - pretty much lived in a pair of cut-off jeans and developed a suntan that resembled well seasoned mahogany...

Taken in 1950-51 , my grandfather , i didn't even know he was in the navy until he passed away last year.

Last edited:
Back