#ThrowbackThursday - lets see yours!

Okay... this is a bit of a tough one for me to post really...

It's a bit of a "work in progress" picture really, though the "before" does date back to 2009...

progress by The Big Yin, on Flickr

No real story to go with this one, just a couple of numbers...

185kg and 112kg.

okay - wasn't sure about posting these... but, seeing as nobody else is playing (hint, hint!)...

I've been digging through a couple of old hard disks prior to scrapping the machines, and came across a couple of photo's that I thought I'd share with you lot...

First off theres a few from one of my "pro" photographer stints...

Basically, Martin (the guy who cropped up in post #9 of this thread - he dragged me into all sorts of crap) was working as ships Tog on Canberra doing the Mediterranean Cruise Circuit. The Other 'tog got p***ed one night and fell down one of the stairs and broke his leg. Had to stay off his feet for a fortnight, so Martin told me to get my backside over there...

Here's a few from that trip - some of 'em scanned from the original Canberra Prints, and one from my own personal slide stock...

Lifeboat Drill

Not all Old Fogies onboard

Martin and the Drinks Waiting Crew, Ready to hit the Dining Room

Martin seen holding the injured 'togs Nikon rig... He was kind enough to let me use the EOS-1n for the fortnight as I just couldn't get my head around the Nikon. Fortunately, there's no reciprocal shot of me in a monkey suit with a camera around my neck...

Heading Back Aboard

And finally, a Classic View of "The Great White Whale" - shot from one of the tenders, whilst returning from port.

May have Overdone the Polarising Filter on this One - Velvia 100 slide and a Polariser is a Heady combination...

Reactions: Jao
And, this weeks bunch are a couple from another stint helping Martin out. As part of his degree course in Film and TV, he had to produce a shot film. This Film was entitled "Hedgehoggery", and was inspired from an evening on the pish in the lake district. We'd got back to the pub too late for the food service, so were topping up on crisps, to prevent falling over too quickly. One of the flavours of crisp on offer was Hedgehog... Well - that was it, Martin bought a packet, and before I knew it, he'd decided that was inspiration for his film. He contacted the manufacturers, who were running the flavour as a promo. to raise money to build hedgehog ramps in cattle grids (to let the little buggers climb back out if they fell in). Martin somehow blagged a tour around the factory, and lots of contacts with the Hedgehog rescue people. Script wrote, he wanted someone interesting to narrate it, and I just said "It needs someone who's a bit of a character - I can hear Billy Connolly or something like that..." - well - that was it, Martin found his agent, and asked - was told "send a script and I'll speak to him" - 3 days later Martin gets a phone call from someone with a very distinctive voice..." Helllooooo, is that The Hedgehog Film Man??"

Apparently Billy Loved the script, and insisted to come down to some of the filming and actually do a few bits in front of camera...

I blagged a couple of days on location doing Continuity / PR photo's

heres a couple...

The (REAL) Big Yin, and the Wee Yin...

Giving Direction...

(can't remember who the other dude was - might have been something to do with the hedgehog preservation people...)

Here's a pic of my wife and her horse, taken in August 2012. This is the first time she went on a solo hack after a bad horse related accident (not on this horse), 6 broken ribs, punctured lung and spleen damage.
This horse gave her her confidence back.
So proud of her to get back on.

View attachment 35860

Some great photos and stories in here.

The day I decided I was a people photographer.
Love by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

I went to Whitby to take the usual shots when I decided it would be nice to get some photos of the people there and I was hooked.

IMG_3868a by Colin, on Flickr

Egham. I was waiting for my train home and the barriers came down, I turned to look up the track to see if it was my train and heard a whistle behind me. Just had time to get the camera out of my pocket, grab a photo and hope it was in focus. It's the 'OMG' reaction of the chap in front of me, who was clearly as surprised as I was, that makes this complete. I regard it is a 'decisive moment' photo - but by pure chance.

Last edited:
Some great photos and stories in here.

The day I decided I was a people photographer.
Love by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

I went to Whitby to take the usual shots when I decided it would be nice to get some photos of the people there and I was hooked.

She looks like Davina McCall?

1974. The year "The Bump" came out as a dance, and the year I first started using a "proper" camera (a Zorki 4...). I've always liked this shot - of my sisters - mainly because the breeze has caused the yellow towel on the washing line to join in with the dance! My main regret (total inexperience) was chopping off the hands.

%22Do The Bump, do The Bump%22 '74.jpg

Back