#ThrowbackThursday - lets see yours!

Oh, this is going back some time...

Bike Club Evening 10.

Sometime in the 70's I'm guessing from the kit and the exposed brake cables etc.

Well after missing a couple of weeks thanks to being a tad heavy on the workload, I am offering two throwbacks today.

This first one is very much TP related. In my early years here one of the regular TP meets was down at Dungenesss on the south coast. We would usually meet up early afternoon, have a walk on the beach, then into the Pilot for fish and chips [and beer] and then in the evening, we slept in our cars on the beach, had sausage and burgers off disposable BBQs and photographed sunset, followed by sunrise after few uncomfortable hours sleep. I have chosen this one because it is two TP members of course.... @Forbiddenbikerand @Shutterman

Dungeness July 2008 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

The second on is keeping the coastal theme but from a trip to Hastings the same year [2008] when I was dabbling in a bit of HDR *shocked face*. I am still oddly fond of this photo now, I obviously like rusting old heaps ;)

Beach Caterpiller by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr​

Right, here is mine for today.

Today, my youngest daughter Beth [known as Bratney] turns 20, which means I am no longer the mother of teenagers - which is yet another addition to the list of 'Things That Make You Feel Old'. So I looked back 10 years to some of my oldest digital photos from 2004 and found this one, when she 10 years old. [might go back through the film stuff for baby stuff if I get chance later, but got busy, bitty day, so might not get chance today] We had gone on a cruise holiday around the Med with my sister and her family, one of the very relaxed Ocean Village ships, so for two weeks we barely saw the kids as the onboard entertainment for them was brilliant. This is Beth with her cousin Zach, being pirates.

Edit: This is the most recent photo of her i have to hand btw, taken late last year - not changed too much ;)

woah woah i don't remember agreeing to these being up :p

A scanned photo from 1983. It is a selfie taken on my first slr. a Cosina CT-1. I was working on the refurb of a hotel in Palm Springs during the day and as a Valet parker in the evenings to save up for a Canon A1, which I still have and am currently putting a film through. Unfortunately the years have not been that kind to me or my figure. If I was to assume that position these days, my belly would be a LOT closer to the ground.

scanned from 1983 by Dan Gleebitz, on Flickr

Andys photo has helped me to defintely decide about mine this week. Several reasons for this one - this is Beth [one of the models from the TP megameet for those that were there and met the 20yr old version] at 15 as a 'lean, mean, fighting machine' - albeit in this action photo, is being used to demonstrate a technique by her Karate Sensei. The reason I was thinking about this before I even saw Andy's picture was because I was sitting in an NHS Walk In centre this afternoon whilst @Yves Geza had his newly busted finger looked at and a young handsome fella approached me and said 'Beth...your her mum' Had to think for a few moments, but it was one of Beths old friends from karate. In fact he was the first boy she beat up, aged 12, in a club tournament about 6mths after she started [ :LOL: ]. Not seen him for several years now, so was good to have brief catch up. Finally, the sad part of this photo, the Sensei is no longer with us, he passed away of liver cancer about a year after this photo was taken.

Please forgive my lousy editing on the 'white' background... I was a bit crap at it back in 2009... probably not much better now ;)

ANT_6934 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Last edited:
Unfortunately Since joining the forum have been rather hard pressed for time to get stuck in properly... However saw this thread and thought I'd post the very 1st photo I was proud to have taken. It was a long exposure photo at night using a borrowed nikon d50 and a pound shop micro tripod. I had waited for a car to come in the same direction the camera was pointing to light me and leave some light trails. When I saw the car coming the camera was already set to a self timer so I had to run in and stay still for the duration of the 30 second exposure. Although it was taken 6 years ago when I was toying with the idea of taking the leap into the DSLR world its one of the photos I'm still most proud of.

Out to Sea by Shadow_Writer33, on Flickr

Last edited:
OK, seems like a good idea so I'll throw one in and see if we can get any older than this.

My Great Grandparents outside their grocers in Hanley taken I believe in 1900.

Smarts outside shop circa 1900_edited-1
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

My g-grandmum Selena was a lovely woman whom I met a few times before she died at the age of 92 but she was a bit of a soft touch when it came to a sob story. They eventually had to shut the business because so many of the locals owed her money and never paid they they were going broke.

Andy
Great shot Andy and lovely memories out of interest where was the shop in Hanley,theyve knocked a lot of property down,i suspect
this was included...I'm in Newcastle by the way..

Tramp writing at Gloucester Bus Station England by kennysarmy, on Flickr

This was the first photo I posted to flickr back in 2007.

It was taken with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS which had an articulated screen which meant I could be a bit sneaky when taking candid shots.

Seems a long time since I joined flickr and have been through the following other cameras on my photographic journey:

400d
40d & a brief spell with a fuji x10
5d mkii with XE-1

and now I've got the XE-2 with too many lenses.....

My first throwback is of the four most important people in my life. This was taken the day my twin girls were born, 2011. Sorry about it being blurry, I was VERY tired (and have been since ;) ) and has not had any pp

197971_10150109850632023_5343687_n.jpg

I took this photo in 1974. It was my first day of a three week visit to Toronto to visit relatives that my grandmother had taken me on. It was the first time I had been on a plane. I took a Polaroid camera with me with three films, each of 10 or 12 exposures. I had a grand total of 36 shots over the entire three weeks, I had to make them count!

I think this was the very first one I took in the sweltering Toronto heat. It is probably the best one too:

Toronto car 1974
by all you need is light, on Flickr

A few years ago i went back to East Afton on the Isle of Wight to show my wife where i spent a long weekend in August 1970 unfortunatly (for us) it Pee'd the week we were there, but i insisted we re lived my youth.
After dragging SWMBO across the fields and little used footpaths, coming into the back of Afton Farm we got bogged down, covered in mud, dropped the Camera, electrocuted by an electric fence, then waded through a flooded farm track. This was before we climbed up East Afton Down.
As i pointed out the points of interest, "We must have been camped here", "Thats where the Bogs were", "This is where Desolation Row was", i could tell from her face that her patience was wearing thin?

The full story was my Sister and her boyfriend were going to the Pop Festival but my Father (an Ex Regimental Sgt Major) had forbidden me to go. However i saved my money (it was a 3 quid ticket for the Friday to Sunday) plus we needed some money for food and the Lymington ferry. On the Thursday morning, i got out of the bedroom window, over the kitchen extension roof and off round the corner to meet my Sister and Boyfriend with a Morris 1000 Van.... Lymington was chock a block we should have gone Wednesday! In the end we parked up the van and went as foot passengers. The Isle of Wight was a mass of people all heading toward Afton near Freshwater. We got there with a combination of walking and hitching a lift. We had to camp on the hill as the Freshwater campsite was chock a block.
There is a lot of cobblers spoken about the Festival but i guess a lot was true too.... It was a very crazy and bizarre event, but great fun looking back.

Well i guess you can imagine the trouble us three were in when we got back, and my Sister still blames me till this day as she took the brunt of it, and her boyfriend was banished by my Father...

First shot 1970

View attachment 19423

Same Site Today

View attachment 19424

Last edited:
My grandfather (1895-1976) was a keen photographer much of his life. I have his old Rollieflex. I have been sorting through box full of old family photos and trying to organise them. The first one I had never seen before in my life but it seems apt here.

1. My grandfather taking a photo approx 1925:

My grandfather the photographer by all you need is light, on Flickr

2. He was a pharmacist. Here he is at work in Evesham, Worcs in I guess approx 1950:

Grandfather's chemist shop by all you need is light, on Flickr

3. His in-laws and my great grandparents about the turn of the century with my grandmother (I think)

Victorian Portrait: My Great-Grandparents C1890 by all you need is light, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Tim.

I really love old photographs and these are excellent!
Well done Tim and thanks for posting them!

Haven't had one of these for a while...

These shots are throwing Waaaayyy Back...

First one is My Grandad, wearing my Uncle's Uniform Top, and mugging for the camera. Don't quite know what happened with the framing, as it was taken by someone else probably 10 years before I hit this earth...

View attachment 24472

Second one, is My Uncle, whos Uniform it was...

View attachment 24473

Got to love those wonky horizons...

(eta: had a bit of a brain-fart and posted this in the wrong thread, then cut and paste broke the links, so had to redo from scratch!)

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about this thread, a lot of really interesting shots.

Here's one from about 1908. My grandad (on my Dad's side) on the left in his lovely little suit with his siblings and Mum and Dad. Sadly his dad, Frederickdied very shortly after this was taken leaving his Mum, Maud, to look after the family.
Grants circa 1908 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And one of my Mum's Mum who I never met. we think this was taken in Blackpool around 1924 (ish)
Grannie Lena circa 1925 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

A couple of shots which I've posted elsewhere on the forum before, but my Granny is a very special lady who deserves it.

Firstly a scan of the earliest picture I have of Granny, she is the girl on the right.

View attachment 24489

And to give some perspective, here is another shot from her Birthday back in March. Again she is the girl on the right.

Granny 100 by barrysprout, on Flickr

Probably from 1968 or 1969. Me with my brother wearing jumpers knitted by my mum. We dreaded having to wear these as it usually meant we had to go on a long walk somewhere in the cold!

Knitting%20Pattern.jpg

And another one of the two of us:

Steve%20and%20Paul%20at%20Puckpool.jpg

And finally one of me with my dad:

Me%20and%20Dad.jpg

Steve.

Last edited:
Cheers Steve! Thats interesting.... Will have to keep an eye out in the future, just in case something else turns up!
Not adverse to looking at the old Air Coolers!

All the Best
Steve

Haven't done one of these in a while, but browsing through my old shots for something to add to the one of the "old film" challenges, I came across this little number...

Alpine Bridge
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

If it looks a little blurred, it's because i'd just crossed the bridge myself and was shaking like a dog passing razorblades...

It's actually something of a prequel to post #9 in here... taken earlier the same day. The glum looking chap in post 9 is the centrepeice of this shot. Think they're pretty much the only ones i've got of him that are the correct way up. He had a somewhat strange habit of performing handstands when asked to look "less boring" for photos... And, as I can't just type that without providing photographic proof...

At Ilkley, Cow and Calf Rocks...

Martin being a Prat

On the Yorkshire 3 Peaks...

Martin again...

I thought I'd add a couple of pics, these are a sort of before and after and both taken at Halloween time.

The first is our daughter Suzanne in 1986, she loved dressing up.
Sue 1986 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

The second is Sue again together with her daughter Jessica, our granddaughter taken in 2014.
Sue is now a McMillan nursing sister, but hasn't got through the dressing up stage :)
Sue and Jess 2014. by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Please excuse the awful lighting, I had to grab the shot quickly and didn't have time to set it up properly.

Last edited:
Me playing guitar with Screaming Lord Sutch, around 1989. He turned up without a guitar player, I was there as sound engineer. Myself and a friend stepped in on borrowed guitars.

That's me between the sax and piano players.

sutch.jpg

Steve.

I'm just trying to work out if the last 2 posts are late for last Thursday, or early for next week :LOL:

It's #ThrowbackThursday time...

Oldie but Goldie

Me (L), my good mate Gary (R) and Gary's irritating kid brother Graham (Ctr). Actually, Graham's not a bad lad, but you know what kid brother's can be like, always hanging around like a third wheel.

Shot taken by my Mother - hence the camera shake blur, and the fact that I'm almost out of frame. Colour distortion courtesy of Truprint photo-processing's lousy quality control.

I'd just swapped the girlie RSW14 that Graham is sitting on for the "racer" and was feeling rather pleased with myself :)

Most notable to me is what a fat little git I was back then... Fortunately, getting that bike started me out on a lifetime of cycling, and, a couple of years after this I had grown about 6", was just over 6 foot tall, and probably a stone lighter than in the picture... Just as well, as by that time I was actually a pretty serious club racer. Of course it all went pear shaped when I left Uni. and had to earn myself a living... ending up with my once again becoming a total fat git, and my digging the bike back out (not the one in the picture... there's probably been 20 or more bikes in the intervening years), starting riding again, and losing something like 11 stone over the past 3 years...

On my first holiday with my partner on safari in Kenya. Quite a scary moment when the hippo decided to make a bee line towards our flimsy little boat... I acted all cool taking the picture, but as you can see by the poor quality I wasn't as calm as I tried to pretend!

imagejpg1_zps55ed0e81.jpg

Back