Thunder & Lightnings....

Name
Ashley
Edit My Images
Yes
Paid a visit to the excellent Twilight Afterburner Event at Bruntingthorpe last week...

To anyone who's never experienced the sheer power & noise of not one but two English Electric Lightning's at full afterburner, you have to pencil it into your diary and go and see this sometime!!

On top of that, there's a tonne of old Civil & Cold War Jets that you can get up close and personal with..

#1 - Sunset TriStar

Royal Air Force Lockheed TriStar N705CS @ Sunset by II AsH II, on Flickr

#2 - XS904/BQ

English Electric Lightning F6 XS904 / BQ by II AsH II, on Flickr

#3 - XR728/JS Afterburner

English Electric Lightning F6 XR728 / JS - Twilight Afterburner by II AsH II, on Flickr

#4 - XS904/BQ Sunset

#5 Sunset XS904 / BQ

Thanks for looking and all c&c appreciated....

Last edited:
No4 is a cracker for sure (y)

No2 doesn't need the flag waver though.

Àn excellent set, you should be very pleased indeed (y)

Great set #4 being my pic, well done.

Last edited:
number 3 is lovely

Wow! 2 and 3 are my favorites but they are all stunning

Lucky you!... I'd love to go to something like this. Really stunning set #3 and #4 for me :love:

Lucky you!... I'd love to go to something like this. Really stunning set #3 and #4 for me :love:
Thanks, Bruntingthorpe is literally just up the road from you (going by your profile's location). They run these ticketed events a few times a year, check out the Lightning Preservation Group website...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting...i'm torn between #3 and #4 as they're both great shots. I can just imagine the noise and vibration being that close. Will definately add this to the list of things to do

Cheers, we had the weather that day and the late afternoon light was awesome...

It was definitely worth nearly going deaf for!!

Thanks, Bruntingthorpe is literally just up the road from you (going by your profile's location). They run these ticketed events a few times a year, check out the Lightning Preservation Group website...

It is, I didn't realise at first..I don't have a car at the momrnt but it's saved to favourites and on a must do list :)

Many years ago, I lived in Lincolnshire, and was present at RAF Binbrook when they scrambled (I think) around 15 Lightnings together.
They were held together with Gaffer tape even then !
Awesome aircraft though.
Thanks for sharing. Great shots.

Many years ago, I lived in Lincolnshire, and was present at RAF Binbrook when they scrambled (I think) around 15 Lightnings together.
They were held together with Gaffer tape even then !
Awesome aircraft though.
Thanks for sharing. Great shots.

That must having been a little noisy..!

They're probably still kept together with gaffer tape and superglue :); I think the engineers do an excellent job in still keeping them servicable

Great set of these iconic aircraft and the conditions look perfect for the evening event.
Must admit to a bit of a soft spot for the Lightning, having spent a week at Coltishall back in the 70's. Had to laugh about the gaffer tape, I think that has always been part of the Lightning maintenance kit :)

I am going to the feb 20th non engine running event. Just thought I would ask just how close can you get to the aircraft?

I am going to the feb 20th non engine running event. Just thought I would ask just how close can you get to the aircraft?

When I visited I got close enough to touch the Lightning's, and also the other aircraft that are dotted around the airfield; We even had the run of an open 747...

I'm not quite sure how they'll do it this time as it looks like they'll be setting up scene's with actors etc

Great set, 2 is my favourite. I used to study at Cranfield and welcomed the distraction of the Lightning there on 'fast taxi' within view (and earshot) of the library!

Back