Wild Tick covered roe buck

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
What was first a look for a Spotted Crake at a local nature reserve turned into looking for roe deer, I had seen the Crake last week but thought to try my luck and see if A it was still there and B it was close enough to get a decent photo. When I arrived at the hide to have a look it was like a bird watchers convention and after waiting my turn to try and view the bird, it was obvious that none of these avid twitchers were going to give up their space........Aah well I thought I'll go and have a scout around for any expectant roe with the month of May coming up, reason being I have been trying as in previous years, to get a photo of Roe deer mother with a young fawn or fawns if I was really lucky, none found but I did spot a buck working his way up an hedge, feeding and cleaning himself ( his coat I noticed had a number of ticks attached ), as he made his way along. I found a likely looking spot to sit and wait hoping he'd work his way up toward me, all the while I took a few record shots as you do, better that than nothing I thought and set the camera into quiet mode so he'd not here the shutter noise. Every so often I was sure he'd heard the camera as he looked directly toward where I was sat, still in some shade as the hedge blocked off most of the evening sun he came close enough to fill up the viewfinder enough I took a burst of shots, after which he steadily made his way through a gap in the hedge and I couldn't really get any more clear shots and so left him to it. Here are a couple shots I got with a bit of noise in them but hey ho...tick roe 1a (1 of 1).jpgtick roe 2a (1 of 1).jpgSettings and kit Canon 7D2 Canon ef 400mm DO f/4.0 mk2 1.4x iii extender ISO 1250 1/200 f/5.6 handheld

Last edited:
Quiet here huh buddy? Lovely encounter Martin ,better than a spotty thing huh:)

I think you wanted to be a tad lower both images mate,these close frames are so tricky to frame deer legs are so blummiin long !! I'm on the same quest I'd love to catch roe mum and a couple of tiny things and something lovely...tender interaction wise. All the luck in the world Martin ,a hard won set of images mum roe and kids. We so nearly got there last year,got a tip off and actually saw them ,but too late too make an image. Some sheep got moved and we just missed out

Cheers for the story bro they seem all over the place this year,we've got guys in velvet and some like yours already shed. Spent some time with last years mum and kid,they are properly molting,yet other females still dressed for winter. We have some very heavy girls here Martin it can't be long now. !!

Incidentally we saw a munty kid week before last,so cool about the size of a jack russel a tiny little thing trying to keep up with mum . No photo op sadly but lovely to see

cheers for sharing

Stuart cheers mate and yes I see what you are saying about the framing of these, I think I have others which I can work on, I found another doe heavy in fawn on friday with a young fawn from last year I think, she kept pushing her away so I reckon she's not long now and fingers crossed we'll both get lucky.

Catch you on here soon pal

Martin

Great. I love deer. Have both roe and muntjac round me.
Hate ticks .... I'm currently awaiting the results of a Lyme disease test; I've been ill since last Nov. and symptoms close to Lyme.
Hope everyone has a tick remover in their first aid box.

Back