Tiger at DZP.

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in November, we visited Dartmoor Zoo. As part of the enrichment for the tigers, they had been given a couple of BIG pumpkins to play with. Tiger + pumpkin + slope + moat (the lower edge of the enclosure is bounded by a moat rather than a fence - great for photography, especially when the cats are below the line of sight to the fence at the back of the enclosure!) = playtime. Just as we got to the exhibit, he had attacked the pumpkin and we watched it roll down and splash into the pool, closely followed by himself. Took several snaps and a few videos, here are the best of the snaps. When we went back later, he'd dragged it out and demolished it fairly comprehensively. The bits visible are from the previous victim.
SOOC other than resizing and sharpening for the size. Panny TZ100.

f/2.8; 1/200;ISO 125.
P1000906.jpg

f/3.9;1/100; ISO 125.
P1000908.jpg

f/3.9; 1/100; ISO 125.
P1000909.jpg

Great to see Dragan enjoying his enrichment - bit frustrating on the photography front with the tricky angle but I do like the second in terms of seeing those claws and what they can do!

Yup! He and Alisha are pretty active compared to the series of tigers they're following. As I've said before, Ben Mee and family inherited an aging population which is slowly being replaced as nature takes its course. Sad when the old guard move on but it's inevitable.

We've been a couple of times since Alisha and Dragan arrived and they have been very active on both occasions - she seems to enjoy leaping out and tagging him :LOL:

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of progress on our last visit though tbh - certain sections of the park were looking very tired indeed.

I know what you mean. It could do with a fair bit of money being spent on tidying it up but they are spending it where it's needed for the residents rather than the (all too few) visitors. Being tucked away up those country lanes makes it less attractive than Paignton for summer visitors and even Paignton has some run down bits.

Saw Alisha and Dragan being fed a year or so ago - Dragan was so quick out of the house that he grabbed the ribs and made it back to the head before Alisha had a chance! They bribed her back in with chicken quarters and she got a slap up feed in private. It's good to see Chincha on a hanging head - the school trips love it, even if some of the kids pretend to be squeamish.

Back